FORUMS: list search recent posts

IBC is on and no news about a FCPX update?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alban egger
IBC is on and no news about a FCPX update?
on Sep 10, 2011 at 11:06:34 am

I really hoped for a first revision of FCPX at IBC. After they showed at NAB was they showed in February and bsically sold us exactly that, I hoped for some bug fixes by now and also some promised features in the "summer-update".

Kinda disappointed and wondering if anyone heard anything?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: IBC is on and no news about a FCPX update?
on Sep 10, 2011 at 11:14:28 am

No sign yet, but I don't think IBC is something Apple would use to launch the update.

Hoping for next week as that's when "Summer" runs out.

Actually in the UK summer ran out a while ago!

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index

Brendan Gibbons
on Sep 10, 2011 at 11:49:06 am

[Steve Connor] "Actually in the UK summer ran out a while ago!"

I don't think I can remember the summer starting here this year...

Cheers,

BG

Return to posts index

Ian Bailey
on Sep 10, 2011 at 12:18:00 pm

I was over-optimistic about a hot British summer this year, but with regards to FCPX I would like to think 'the longer the wait, the bigger the up-date.' Apple can't have failed to notice the increase in Production Premium sales.

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Sep 10, 2011 at 3:09:48 pm

They probably are focusing on making up for the mess with a huge well tested update.
At least that's what I hope. So no rush necessary...a solid update is critical, It's harder to forgive a .1 screw up.

-------------
David A Fenton
-------------

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 10, 2011 at 8:03:08 pm

I would bet that they will release some updates to fix bugs and that will be all until the next version.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 10, 2011 at 9:34:16 pm

I would expect some features too, at least according to the FAQ.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 11, 2011 at 2:35:45 am

While I don't expect Apple to announce anything at IBC, I do wonder if they'll be any closed door meetings/discussions.

It's critical that Apple resolve certain bugs and get the APIs out the door for the plugin developers. I suspect Apple has run into delays with this. This may well have impacted Apple's update schedule.

We'll see what happens when the Fall Equinox passes and whether there's either release or Apple acknowledges a delay if such were to happen.

I don't doubt they were originally expecting to release an earlier bug fix only update but, given the reaction in the post community, doing that may well have resulted in another round on negative feedback due to a lack of feature updates/improvements. My hunch is that the first feature updates will be included in the bug fixes.

The Equinox will inform us and any leads about private meetings with either developers or certain facility managers.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Sep 11, 2011 at 2:56:55 am

Craig,

You are the Yoda of FCPX!

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 11, 2011 at 4:43:44 am

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Return to posts index

Ray Wang
on Sep 11, 2011 at 3:06:37 am

In the FAQ, Apple states that it will deliver multi-cam and assign audio tracks for export.

Everything else (XML, OMF, external monitors etc.) are dependent on:
1) Apple to deliver the API to the third party developers
2) Third parties to deliver the feature (which may not be free)

Based on the FAQ it looks like Apple is committed to provide the API, not the "missing" features.

---
Ray

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 11, 2011 at 4:42:55 am

[Ray Wang] "Based on the FAQ it looks like Apple is committed to provide the API, not the "missing" features."

APIs will involve some features regarding export and plugin in development. There are features Apple is committed to such as Multicam.

It's not just about the APIs for XML. A lot of the plugin developers are on hold because those APIs aren't ready yet as well. That's why Boris, Noiseindustries, RedGiant have been limited in what they can do. There are also bugs as well which may be both FCPX and Lion related.

There's a slew of other work Apple has to do and they may be working to deliver a few more things then they originally anticipated given the time pressure they're under.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 11, 2011 at 3:36:34 pm

Apple won't be delivering multi-cam in Final Cut Pro X 1.0:

Does Final Cut Pro X support multicam editing?

Not yet, but it will. Multicam editing is an important and popular feature, and we will provide great multicam support in the next major release.

Return to posts index

Jean-Philippe Mariani
on Sep 11, 2011 at 4:16:28 pm

There was an Apple reseller private meeting on friday at IBC, but we all signed an NDA because of what Apple had to say... Wait for a few weeks to get some good News about FCP X first update.....

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 11, 2011 at 4:20:34 pm

[Jean-Philippe Mariani] ". Wait for a few weeks to get some good News about FCP X first update.....
"

Tease! :P

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 11, 2011 at 4:26:34 pm

[Jean-Philippe Mariani] "There was an Apple reseller private meeting on friday at IBC, but we all signed an NDA because of what Apple had to say"

Thanks for that info. I had heard a rumor that such a meeting would be taking place. Interesting that it was with resellers if I understand you. Those who really can't sell FCPX but certainly do sell Macs and will be selling Thunderbolt devices.

[Jean-Philippe Mariani] "Wait for a few weeks to get some good News about FCP X first update....."

I suspect Apple is putting in the development for a reason. I suspect the update will be significant, I suspect Apple believes it to be otherwise why bother having meetings.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 11, 2011 at 4:48:20 pm

A few weeks! It could do with a bug fix release sooner than that, I know they want to impress with the first big update, but they could at least drop a .01 release to fix the autosave bugs and the wobbly performance on Lion

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 11, 2011 at 5:14:37 pm

[Steve Connor] "A few weeks! It could do with a bug fix release sooner than that, I know they want to impress with the first big update, but they could at least drop a .01 release to fix the autosave bugs and the wobbly performance on Lion"

The problem is marketing. If Apple did that, a loud chorus of people would say, "see nothing, no new features."

I think that was Apple's original intent but give the reaction in the post industry, they don't want a repeat. Otherwise many people would simply look at FCPX as a 1.0 release that will eventually be a viable post tool when the feature improvements happen.

Short of some noteworthy feature additions, anything Apple does otherwise will be trashed by the post industry.

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Sep 11, 2011 at 5:27:21 pm

Appreciate this token of hope. :)

-------------
David A Fenton
-------------

Return to posts index

Jean-Philippe Mariani
on Sep 11, 2011 at 6:37:24 pm

Yes indeed, we cannot sell it anymore, but we at least need to know where this is going... Just to mention that I've seen more Macs with Premiere Pro on the show floor than ever and at key partners booths, not a surprise if You want to demo the New thunderbolt devices that offer input/output, but again some hope is In the air, but dont expect everything missing from FCP 7 back In this first serious update.... Cannot say more because of the NDA.. Cheers!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 11, 2011 at 6:45:25 pm

[Jean-Philippe Mariani] "Yes indeed, we cannot sell it anymore, but we at least need to know where this is going"

I'm curious why? What is the VAR motive in knowing where FCPX is going. It would seem their businesses are not dependent on FCP anymore. Knowing where Apple hardware is going might be more important.

[Jean-Philippe Mariani] "some hope is In the air, but dont expect everything missing from FCP 7 back In this first serious update.... Cannot say more because of the NDA.. Cheers!"

Oddly I'd think it would be developers who have the greatest need to know. They must move forward knowing whether which if any plugins can be pursued as well as what if any hardware hooks there will be.

If Adobe (and Avid) pursue hardware compatibility why would a VAR care what FCPX is offering?

Forgetting about the details which you can't talk about, why do you think Apple is talking to VARs specifically about FCPX and/or what is the advantage to the VAR in knowing this?

Return to posts index

Jean-Philippe Mariani
on Sep 12, 2011 at 1:32:48 pm

Well, it's not because we can no longer sell it that we must not stay aware of the evolutions of the product itself.

Because, some existing customers will want to evolve someday in the future when they feel the product is ready to move from FCP 7 to FCP X (if they have not switched to another competitor product).

Of course, if Avid and Adobe deliver Pro updates targeted to FCP 7 customers, of course the game will be over and there will be no need to wait on Apple to reintegrate missing mandatory functionalities into FCP X...

Oddly, they try to persuade us that the product is still targeted on Pros and will evolve to fulfill pro needs, but speaking for myself, I don't think they share the same vision than many of our customers.

Return to posts index

Joshua Kerr
on Sep 12, 2011 at 1:50:43 pm

'I don't think they share the same vision than many of our customers.'

I have to agree with you on that one. If they truly had us in mind they wouldn't have bothered messing around creating things like magnetic timelines and keyword searching and stuck to what was important to us. I have yet to find out if these are useful intuitive additions but It still shows apple doing what they normally do...think about number 1.

regards

Click to view my video production company or visit our company facebook page.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 12, 2011 at 2:17:03 pm

[Jean-Philippe Mariani] "Oddly, they try to persuade us that the product is still targeted on Pros and will evolve to fulfill pro needs, but speaking for myself, I don't think they share the same vision than many of our customers."

Apple tends to think more about the future then the present in some cases. I wonder where things will be a year from now.

I think Apple's biggest risk was that they broke a lot of conventions. Generally it's easy to move from NLE to NLE and know the basics quickly. That's not the case with FCPX. It'll have to prove itself to be a magnitude better, even when it closes in on feature parity, to gain more converts. I do think FCPX is one piece in a bigger system Apple is developing. There's too much in FCPX not being well utilized yet. None of this helps a facility today though.

Return to posts index

David Neal
on Sep 12, 2011 at 2:21:56 pm

At IBC, I counted how many times I saw FCP X on the screens of computers from the 1300 stands. Answer = 0. I think that gives you a good idea of where things are heading

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:42:03 pm

[David Neal] "At IBC, I counted how many times I saw FCP X on the screens of computers from the 1300 stands. Answer = 0. I think that gives you a good idea of where things are heading"

Considering it doesn't connect to any hardware/software at this time, that shouldn't be a surprise.

There are no products to sell for it, yet.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:55:10 pm

Even plugin support is limited at the moment. When that changes expect FCPX to become a bit more visible. Even if the FCPX user base were only 1/2 of FCP legacy, that's still a formidable and attractive market for developers.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Sep 12, 2011 at 5:30:31 pm

Honestly, I'm not sure of the market. The pros are going to be slow to adopt, and the people who just need a bit more than iMovie aren't necessarily going to be keen on dropping $300. Apple may have misfired here. I wouldn't be surprised to see the price fall to $99 so they can really grab the moneymaking market of consumers.

Chris

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Sep 14, 2011 at 10:58:00 am

As a matter of fact, I did see FCP X at IBC. Not as commonplace as Avid and Premiere. But, to my surprise, I did see it. Can't remember exactly where, but it was at a storage manufacturer's stall. FCP 7 was around in many places.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Christer Molander
on Sep 12, 2011 at 7:44:24 pm

This is were I think it is heading. Our studios have 4 NLE´s. All of these has been FCP7. Now two are Avid MC5.5. When the editors have learned MC it´s hard to see why switch to FCPX.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]