FORUMS: list search recent posts

A thoughtful look at FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Holmes
A thoughtful look at FCP X
on Apr 13, 2011 at 8:59:58 pm

Don't worry not from me! Some interesting insights from someone on his second view:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/goodies/blog.html

I'll admit I share some of his concerns. Also echo those of people below on audio tracks (although I choose to trust at the moment there is a solution for this - it must have come up in beta testing often enough_.

All in all - looking forwards to hands-on time with it.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: A thoughtful look at FCP X
on Apr 13, 2011 at 9:33:10 pm

Ben-

You're obsessed, brutha!

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Apr 14, 2011 at 8:21:52 am

A little. Nice to have something to be obsessed about. Besides - I'd rather people came here and saw the best info, rather than grumbling because all they saw some snarky twitter feeds.

As DRW says above, once you watch the videos particularly, you form a different view.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 14, 2011 at 4:20:38 pm

[Ben Holmes] "A little. Nice to have something to be obsessed about. "

I hear ya. Positive excitement is a good thing around here. From what I have seen, it looks like it could be interesting.

I will reserve judgement on the app until I can get my hands on it and complete a few projects, then archive those projects, then restore those projects. Its hard to comment on the functionality of a tool when one hasn't used it. I refuse to watch the camera bag presentation of the SuperMeet. Do you have any other good links to it?

What I will comment on is price, value and the perception therein. This goes way beyond the sticker price of $299, but from what I have read in the last few days on the various interweb/social media outlets, this can sort of explain some of the intangible frustration.

As a friend and mentor so aptly put, "It's not about the money! But it's about the money." It's not about how much something costs, but it's about the perception of value no matter the cost.

For most, $299 is affordable. It's a cost of entry in to a world in which they can now compete. That's cool.

For others, some might see it as a devaluation of their business model. FCP was already cheap, now it gets to the price point where people (some rightfully, others not rightfully) will look at that price and say, "$300 bucks? I pay you this money to provide quality programs, and you are using a $300 tool? Why, then, am I paying you this money when I can go get it cheaper, or do it in house?"

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's about the perception of value, and the trust you have when working with certain clients. Other clients won't care at all. They won't even know what FCP is. They just know that in three days, a video is due in their hands. They don't care what magic was used to get it there, they just need the product.

The other thing that makes me wonder is Apple's culpability. I understand that that the dongle to run an FCP machine, is a new computer. That certainly can be an expensive proposition if you buy the top of the line. But what does a $300 application say to the world?

If there's a feature or functionality that is glaringly missing from FCP X, the easy way out is to say "what do you expect for $300"? This, potentially, can allow a lot of corner cutting and make features not as precise or fully functional. This is a model that is happening everywhere. It can also be a message to the world, we are only giving you a $300 app, don't expect everything (like tape capture for example).

It can also be the difference between a great idea on paper, and an absolute mess of an execution in code. So in that sense, there could be no intrinsic value in the application. There's no value to make it fully functional. "What do you expect? It's $300."

On the other hand, people are going to have to refresh their computers. This is a good thing for Apple, so the $299 price tag now potentially becomes 4,5,6, 10k.

It's not about the money, but it's about the money. It all remains to be seen. I will wait and see what the future brings.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Apr 14, 2011 at 4:52:24 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I refuse to watch the camera bag presentation of the SuperMeet. Do you have any other good links to it?"
Hi
Try these:
http://www.vimeo.com/22329493
http://www.vimeo.com/22341718

The price says "wait while we get the new FC Studio ready so you can stop needing parts of FCS3. It might be a while, so meanwhile here's a giveaway...."

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 14, 2011 at 8:45:49 pm

That vimeo link was way better than the camera bag junk I watched Tuesday night.

Now I get it.

And I like it.

You don't need a second window permanently on the left of the canvas; the canvas auto switches to show you whatever it needs to show you at that particular moment. The tracks are nests within nests and you toggle into and out of them as the job requires. Double-tapping and choice of where in the clip you tap engages the various functions. This makes life easier for guys that edit mostly by mouse, becasue it will minimuze the movement you need to accomplish things so you go faster.

One of the things I like abotu the currrent FCP is that there are at least three ways to do anything and on eof them will suite every particular user. Me, I like to mouse a lot and not so much do keyboarding of hot keys. I can see things in this setup I used to like in Discreet Edit*. It's going to work for me.

I do wonder how much the interface can work with touch-sensitive surfaces. I don't have the latest ipod/iphoneipad stuff so I have very little experience with finger moves like pinching, but I can imagine some ways thatm editing in this interface, with the apple touch-sensitive mouse, could speed up editing and prevent some carpal tunel at the same time. So I'll be looking for more detail on the "haptics" of the GUI as more information is released.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]