FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX - consolidate media does nothing for me

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Boris Jansch
FCPX - consolidate media does nothing for me
on Sep 8, 2011 at 11:03:16 am

Has anyone successfully used the Consolidate project media, or organise media function and what is the difference by the way?

I'm in the process of backing up my edits and since my master project/sequence references several events, I need to consolidate the project media in order to avoid having to copy over the events that are not intended as scratch folders. It is in fact only a single file being referenced by each of the other events that I don't want to be added during the 'Duplicate Project' process but I do need all of the media within the main Event to be copied.

All I get is a message saying, 'There is nothing to consolidate. All your media is already consolidated on one disk.' Not exactly that but close enough.

I could of course do it manually in the finder and it looks like that is the only way right now unless someone can shed some light on this little conundrum. I suspect it's another bug that needs fixing.

Otherwise loving FCPX.

Many thanks,

Boris J.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX - consolidate media does nothing for me
on Sep 8, 2011 at 11:44:26 am

I would think you want organize, not consolidate.

Or you could consolidate to another drive completely.

Return to posts index

Boris Jansch
on Sep 8, 2011 at 12:04:58 pm

Sorry I didn't make it clear that I do in fact want to consolidate to another drive, the point being that despite the project referencing 3 events, FCPX does not want to consolidate project media. It says everything is already in the single event, when it clearly isn't.

I copied and pasted a title from another project into the current one and it is this single file that is being referenced.

So the question is why does the Consolidate project media function not copy over those two files into the main event, thus 'Consolidating project media'?

Many thanks,

Boris J.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 8, 2011 at 2:49:45 pm

Sorry to be a pain, but tell me exactly what you are trying to do.

You have three events on a current drive. You want to consolidate those three events in to one event on a new drive? Everything works except the one compound clip?

Return to posts index

Boris Jansch
on Sep 8, 2011 at 5:38:50 pm

I have a Project that I want to back up to another drive along with the associated media from the main Event.

The reason that I need to consolidate project media is that the Project also references two other clips in two other Events and obviously the intention is to just have FCPX copy those two files to the main Event to avoid having to copy the whole of the two other referenced Events. It does not do this for me and simply states that all of the media is already in one location when it clearly isn't according to the modify references section.

Is that any clearer?

Many thanks,

Boris J.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 8, 2011 at 8:12:39 pm

[Boris Jansch] "Is that any clearer?"

Yes, and thank you.

I think you need to use the move project command to the destination drive (or simply quit FCP and copy what you need over), then use consolidate on the new destination drive, and choose the one you need (copy, move, copy used only, etc).

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Sep 10, 2011 at 11:52:01 am

You seem to have experienced exactly what I came across. This feature does not appear to do what the user manual says it's supposed to do. Here's is a thread I started on Apple's FCPX Discussion.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15652597#15652597

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 10, 2011 at 12:40:35 pm

[Kevin Patrick] ". This feature does not appear to do what the user manual says it's supposed to do. Here's is a thread I started on Apple's FCPX Discussion. "

I think it does. It moved events to other disks, it also might move the media, it really depends on how you imported it in the first place.

I take it you are 1 open loop?

I think you are getting the terms confused. When you import media aliased, FCPX treats that alias as media being on the disk. This way if the original media needs to stay put, it will. When you consolidate, it will only consolidate what's in the actual event (which in your case is the alias). If you want the hard media in the event, then you need to use the "Organize" function to bring the actual media in to the event and get rid of the alias. The transcode function would work too, also media dependent.

Consolidate will consolidate events and associated media IN THE EVENT, not the media that the event might be linked to.
Make sense?

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Sep 11, 2011 at 12:52:03 pm

In the FCP X User Manual it states that the Consolidate function is used when your media is located on multiple hard disks. If you execute the Consolidate function you have the options to Copy or Move referenced events. After you click OK, the manual states that your Event(s) should now be on the same hard disk as the project.

That sounds to me like this function is used to move/copy referenced Events to the same location as your project. It's in the section of the user manual about backing up your project. It states that before you backup your project you should Consolidate it's media and then back it up.

But, when I tried it, it did not work. FCP X came back with the message that there was noting to Consolidate. I interpret that as, there is nothing to move/copy. When in fact that's not the case. The actual media for the Event was not in the FCP X Events folder. If I then backed up my project, I would not have the media, just an Alias pointing to the media.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 11, 2011 at 2:43:05 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "The actual media for the Event was not in the FCP X Events folder. If I then backed up my project, I would not have the media, just an Alias pointing to the media."

Ok. I'll try again. When you imported the media the first time, did you leave the option to copy media to event unchecked? What camera is the media from?

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Sep 12, 2011 at 11:47:28 am

I created a new Event.
I Imported a clip that was on an external RAID drive.
I chose to leave the clip on the RAID drive, no copy.
I chose Reveal in Finder and FCPX took me to the folder inside FCPX Events and found the Alias for the clip, as expected.
I right clicked the clip in Finder and it took me to the RAID drive where the clip was. Just to make sure the link wasn't somehow broken.
I chose Consolidate Media and FCPX said there was nothing to Consolidate.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:44:01 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "I chose to leave the clip on the RAID drive, no copy.
I chose Reveal in Finder and FCPX took me to the folder inside FCPX Events and found the Alias for the clip, as expected."

That alias IS the media to FCPX. If you want to move the hard copy of the media to somewhere else, you first have to use the "Organize" function to bring a hard copy of the media to the event. You can then consolidate that project to another disk. Get it?

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Sep 13, 2011 at 1:48:52 am

The following is from Apple's FCP X user manual for Consolidate Project Media.

Consolidate a projectʼs media files
In the course of creating a project in Final Cut Pro, you might use media from a variety of locations, including your local computer and external storage devices. If the media used in the project is located on multiple hard disks, you can consolidate all the media used in the project on the same hard disk as the project.

So you're saying that to FCP X the Alias is the media. Therefore, the Consolidate Project Media function will consolidate Aliases? How (or why) could FCP X consolidate Aliases? If there is no Alias for the Media in the FCP X folder, than FCP X wouldn't even know about the media.

So if you don't think Consolidate Project Media will copy or move media (as it states in the manual) what do you think it's supposed to do? What am I missing?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 13, 2011 at 4:51:41 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "So you're saying that to FCP X the Alias is the media. Therefore, the Consolidate Project Media function will consolidate Aliases?"

That's sort of what I am saying. That alias is the media in your event. The consolidate function does not consolidate media in to your event. That is the organize function. The consolidate function will simply move events (and the media or connections to original media within them) to another drive.

[Kevin Patrick] "How (or why) could FCP X consolidate Aliases?"

Why did you choose to leave the media where it is instead of bring it in the event in the first place? There is good reason to do this, you just have to understand the entire process. If you want a copy of the media in your event, and not an alias to it, you must bring that media in to the event first using the Organize or Transcode function.

[Kevin Patrick] "If there is no Alias for the Media in the FCP X folder, than FCP X wouldn't even know about the media. "

Correct.

[Kevin Patrick] "So if you don't think Consolidate Project Media will copy or move media (as it states in the manual) what do you think it's supposed to do? What am I missing?"

Just what it says it's going to do. If you have EVENTS that are spread out across different drives, it will consolidate the event (and media or links to it) to the drive of your choosing, keeping the original event and media structure. If you want to move the media somewhere, you must bring it in to the event first (a real live copy of it, not just a link to it). Making more sense? You do understand how FCPX brings media into events, right? I think that's what you might be missing. FCPX is doing exactly what you told it to, on original import, you told FCPX to reference your original media (which is puts an alias in the events), then you wanted to move these events to one disk, just like it says.

If you want to bring multiple events in to one event, you would use the merge function.

Return to posts index

Enrique Acevez
on Sep 27, 2011 at 10:45:18 pm

The first thing to consider is that one thing is a project and another an event, this's the new way to organize files of final cut, an event is what you would call a Project in old final cut pro, and a project in the new Final Cut X is what you would call a in older versions, so starting from this point if you "Consolidate a project" with the "Consolidate media Project" option what final cut X will do is to make sure that the media (aliases or real media files) used in that project are in the same location, for example, suppose you have 2 events called "Holidays" and "Family" each one on separate hard drives and you have one project called "Family Holidays" linked to the Holidays event, for the project you use clips from both events, so in one project you would have clips from different events in separate hard drives, until now everything is ok, but what happens when you want to back up you project "Family Holidays" well you could manually copy the files from one hard drive to the other, or you could "Consolidate media project", BUT this one is tricky, lets go back a little, IF in your events you have aliases Final Cut X will consolidate Aliases, if you have the original fils it will consolidate the original file, so what does this means, that final cut will move or copy the aliases or file used in your project from both events to the hard drive where is the event that has linked the project. So at the end you ar just moving file or aliases to one location, this is what "Consolidate media project" do.

The diference to "Organize event files" is that this last option will replace the aliase in you event for the real file in you hard drives.

So if you Consolidate you project but you just use clips from one event or many events in the same hard drive you will get the error "Nothing to Consolidate The selected project and the Events it refers to are already in the same location."

Final Cut X can work with just the aliases and don't need to copy files or move the media so you can have al your media in a high-capacity hard drive like a server and you don't need to full the HD of your computer with tons of videos and several people can use the files from a server for example, and the only thing you need to back up your project is to take al your aliases with you to any where you want, then, put them back in your computer with final cut or any other computer and the alias will still work.

So I hope this clears up a bit your doubts, is really tricky, but when you get to understand it is an easier and automatic way to organize your files.

Hi5 all.

Return to posts index

Colin Ryan
on Aug 27, 2012 at 5:19:08 pm

I am coming across this same issue. Fortunately the project I'm working on i will probably never have to reference again. Here is what i did. Right click on the project you want to consolidate in the project library - Duplicate Project or highlight the project and command D. Pick the 3rd option and it will create a new event with only the clips you used. That was helpful for me because i keep all my light leaks and transitions in other events. So if you have clips from multiple events it will grab all of them and put them all in a new event. The duplicate project will have (fcp1) after its name. I copied the new event folder and new project folder to my backup external. Then from within FCPX delete the events and projects. I opened up the event & project on another computer and it was fine except for a difference in plugins. I reopened it on my computer and it worked fine. This is the way it worked for me, that doesn't mean i will not be crossing my fingers each time.

let your fingers do the walking

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]