FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X on a PC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Cole
FCP X on a PC
on Sep 7, 2011 at 12:25:14 am

Just a thought . . . it's taking sooooo long to get to the 1st FCP X update, maybe they are working on porting it to the PC under Windows 7?
This would fit their plans to discontinue all their towers and Macbooks.
Looking forward to register hacking again!!!

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP X on a PC
on Sep 7, 2011 at 1:42:38 am

You're surely joking, right? If not, I assure you, that is not the cause for Apple's tardiness, and porting to FCP to Windoz will never happen.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:01:42 am

Considering their most recent move, how can you assume he's joking? :) Isn't there even a bigger market just waiting to snatch up a new cheap editor on the Windows side?
But trying to directly compete with programs like Edius would be embarassing - and not for Edius.
Yeah, you're right. Better just stick to the Mac. They'd get blistered if they tried to compete on the PC.

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Sep 7, 2011 at 1:51:45 am

I know a guy who's running FCPX on a PC (hackintosh). Crazy.

Return to posts index

Jim Glickert
on Sep 7, 2011 at 2:36:52 pm

One thing's for sure: The first update is going to be AWESOMER! :)

Sorry, guys, I couldn't resist.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 7, 2011 at 2:51:15 pm

[Sam Cole]Just a thought . . . it's taking sooooo long to get to the 1st FCP X update, maybe they are working on porting it to the PC under Windows 7?

Actually, it already exists. It's called Vegas and it's much better too!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Sep 7, 2011 at 4:24:23 pm

Actually, technically, it has been ported to the PC, but it still needs to run the MacOS. Check out the Hackintosh: http://nofilmschool.com/build-a-hackintosh/ . Really not for the faint of heart or the not-so-technically inclined, but I got 10.5 to install on an older machine and I will build one occasionally. The latest build on the site above is ideally suited for Premiere because you can use a different video card that will better utilize Adobe's graphics engine - according to them. Mind you, a Hackintosh isn't an actual Mac so you can't get support and the machine is a little wonky in places, but you can put OSX on a PC to run Final Cut.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 7, 2011 at 4:38:21 pm

Jonathan,

You're a very bright guy who has contributed some interesting points of view and information on the Cow. But, I want to know how exactly any discussion of the Hackintosh actually advances this conversation in any valuable manner?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Sep 7, 2011 at 4:57:03 pm

David,

Someone asked if they could put FCPX on a PC. Hackintosh is the way. Its more likely you will get FCPX working on a Hackintosh than Apple ports FCPX to Windows.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 7, 2011 at 5:12:06 pm

Actually, a Mac IS a PC, because all a PC stands for is "personal computer." The distinction should be made between a Mac PC, a Windows PC, and a Linux PC.

And this thread is rather pointless, really.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 7, 2011 at 5:50:04 pm

I think people really need to understand Apple's business model. They use software to sell hardware. Anything they've ever done as far as Windows compatibility (iTunes for example) has been done to sell hardware (iPod, iPhone, iPad).

FCPX is designed to sell Macs.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:58:47 pm

"FCPX is designed to sell Macs."

Don't you mean iMacs?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 7, 2011 at 7:41:49 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "Don't you mean iMacs?

Sorry, couldn't resist."

Actually that's a reasonable statement. I think the iMacs has limits of course. That's why I've made speculation about what will replace the MacPro. It has to be at a low enough entry point so it can be a "headless" (monitorless) alternative but it has to be a bit more expandable.

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Sep 7, 2011 at 7:43:46 pm

Soon FCPX will be used to sell iPads. That's the more likely reason we haven't seen a quicker update for FCPX, they are too busy working on a iPad version.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 7, 2011 at 8:04:31 pm

[Devin Crane] "Soon FCPX will be used to sell iPads."

Do you really think there's a large market that has held off buying iPads because there's nothing like FCPX for it? I don't think there's a big financial incentive in that.

iCloud may sell more iPads.
FCPX is there to boost Mac sales. It will once it gets to the point a broader range of people can use it.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 7, 2011 at 8:14:20 pm

[Craig Seeman]Do you really think there's a large market that has held off buying iPads because there's nothing like FCPX for it? I don't think there's a big financial incentive in that.

There is if the plan is to eventually drop OSX and have only iOS.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 7, 2011 at 8:45:28 pm

[Gary Huff] "There is if the plan is to eventually drop OSX and have only iOS."

The two may be merged. I don't think it's either/or. They move towards and OS that's scalable. There still will be a reason to sell higher priced computers. Both iOS and Lion use AV Foundation now.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Sep 7, 2011 at 9:57:05 pm

There seem to be some strange ideas on this forum about the differences between a Mac and a generic PC . There's great play with words like "workstation", and the HPZ400 is held up as a shining example of what to buy.

One lone voice a few threads down said something about building PCs and pointed out the completely modular nature of the machine - any machine, including Z400s. I thought I'd try to offer some clarification.

First - Macs and PCs are extremely similar. In fact a Mac is little more than a operating system, and most of that is a close cousin of Linux. A Mac uses an EFI to start instead of a BIOS - a little ahead of the PC game, but not hughly important. All the rest is pure Intel based PC, with motherboards made by Foxconn.

"Workstation" is marketing speak for an expensive PC. What's in a workstation varies from week to week, probably from day to day, as all the components are commodities. Today we buy ten thousand memory chips from Crucial, tomorrow 500 from Kingston - or some Taiwan company you haven't heard of. The word workstation is just a guarantee that you paid too much.

I don't know much about HP, apart from seeing the website, but in the UK Acer sell a range called Aspire. They've done so for years, but the clue that the guts of the things are endlessly changing is in the numbers after the name. Today - Sept 7th - they're advertising the M3870-L, M3400 and others. Next week the numbers will be different, but Aspire will still be there to comfort the punters - "my friend bought an Acer Aspire, he says they're good". But the Aspire the punter buys after the recommendation will be completely different inside the box.

Macs are a little different, as Apple tend to more or less freeze the design, and sell that version for ages. There's lots of discussion here about what the next model will contain, because there isn't the endless incremental change that there is in the PC world.

It's rather limiting really.

It isn't actually difficult at all to build a Mac with the latest bits and pieces, hardly more difficult than building a PC. See http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on... . I don't know about use with Lion, as I haven't tried it, but I suspect that to many people Lion is about as attractive as FCPX.

After people write this sort of stuff, someone always pops up and talks about maintenance. "Use HPZ400s, because that's the machine the engineers test on..." Which HPZ400 - this week's, last week's? PCs are all different, even in the same product line, and all the same. And if there's a problem - some major failing, it's easy to just replace the individual parts at no great time or cost. When I needed to replace my G4 a while back, I was horrified at the cost of a new Mac, as I've built lots of PCs and know what they normally cost. So I built my own.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 7, 2011 at 10:09:10 pm

[Bernard Newnham] ""Workstation" is marketing speak for an expensive PC. What's in a workstation varies from week to week, probably from day to day, as all the components are commodities. Today we buy ten thousand memory chips from Crucial, tomorrow 500 from Kingston - or some Taiwan company you haven't heard of. The word workstation is just a guarantee that you paid too much."

I don't agree with this at all.

Workstations offer things like multiple sockets, more RAM slots, more PCIe slots, higher-rated PSUs, better cooling, and better-engineered internal design than standard PCs.

Yes, the components are commodities, but workstations use components specifically engineered for performance and reliability, not cost. Yes, if you have the time, knowledge, and inclination, you can build your own from the same parts for less money.

Not everyone needs a workstation to do their work anymore, but for those that do, these things are worth paying for.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Sep 8, 2011 at 8:28:55 am

"Workstations offer things like multiple sockets, more RAM slots, more PCIe slots, higher-rated PSUs, better cooling, and better-engineered internal design than standard PCs."

You mean - slightly more expensive motherboards and PSUs, bigger and more fans. Once again, it isn't a step change, just a matter of buying different parts from the parts shop. Have a look - on this page http://tinyurl.com/3om9kk9 there are over 200 motherboards to choose from. What makes a particular one suitable for a "workstation"? Depends on what you want in it really. All levels and prices are catered for. None say workstation.

HP offer a page on their website so you can configure your workstation (if you can stand the wait), so what will make it a workstation rather than just another high spec pc? Marketing, that's all

...and a Mac is just another PC with lots of marketing and a different operating system.

B

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on Sep 11, 2011 at 2:09:17 am

I have next to my 3ghz Macpro a Windows box with an i7 processor,and efi-x usb switch,(http://asem.com.tw/en)
it performs just as fast as the Macpro,at half the set up costs, but i prefer the mac after many years of Editing etc.

cheers
oline

olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]