FORUMS: list search recent posts

Devil's Advocate: If FCP-X is a flop...what do you do?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Hancock
Devil's Advocate: If FCP-X is a flop...what do you do?
on May 18, 2011 at 2:44:02 am

Let's pretend that FCP-X is a flop. It's missing a key feature you require - maybe it's buggy, there's no or XML OMF export/import, can't load older FCP projects, can't turn off the auto-stuff, no traditional bin structure and the metadata tagging isn't as efficient...whatever your imagine will break your workflow and be a no go at your shop.

What do you? Keep using FCP7? Move to another NLE? Which one are you considering? Why? What is the one feature you require to warrant a move to FCP-X fulltime, or transition from FCP completely?

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Devil's Advocate: If FCP-X is a flop...what do you do?
on May 18, 2011 at 3:19:50 am

everyone is discussing this.
1) keep using FCP7
2) adopt to Adobe Premier in CS5, because you already own it with your Adobe Production Premium package, and it works with all of your hardware.
3) if you are old school, Media Composer 5.5 is looking real good right now, especially with the AJA I/O Express HD for $995
4) when FCP-X v2 comes out in late 2012, they will fix the bugs from July 2011, and you and all of your competitors (us) will have still been using FCP7 this entire time anyway.
5) FCP-X v2 will only run on the NEW Mac Pro's that are incompatible with your Intel hardware.
6) if FCP-X is totally different - is it really that difficult to learn another software program - haven't we all done this several times already ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on May 18, 2011 at 3:37:04 am

I agree with Mr. Zelin.

Mark

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 18, 2011 at 4:41:36 am

[Michael Hancock] "What do you?"

The last facility I worked for on staff as an editor had an owner with in interesting history. He perviously had a health food store and sold LSD from what I understand.

I'll explore my career options. I think I'll open a Bagel store. Bagels and cream cheese, despite modern variations, have basics that never get upgraded.

Do you want that toasted with a schmear?

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on May 18, 2011 at 3:45:47 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I'll explore my career options. I think I'll open a Bagel store. Bagels and cream cheese, despite modern variations, have basics that never get upgraded."

Craig, if you make blueberry or pumpkin bagels, I may be forced to hunt you down and kill you!

But if you can learn to make a really good onion or garlic bagel... mmmmmm!

Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 18, 2011 at 4:39:50 pm

[Arnie Schlissel] "Craig, if you make blueberry or pumpkin bagels, I may be forced to hunt you down and kill you!"

Nope. No BagelProX here.

[Arnie Schlissel] "But if you can learn to make a really good onion or garlic bagel... mmmmmm!"

Yes, the kind where you can turn around and breath on the client and they stop hanging over your shoulder for the rest of the day!

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on May 18, 2011 at 4:47:07 pm

Craig, you are now my hero!

Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on May 18, 2011 at 7:07:51 am

On OSX its s luxury problem
Avid Mediacomposer
Adobe Premiere
Fcp7
Autodesk smoke
Scratch

Its a non discussion.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 18, 2011 at 12:05:52 pm

Michael Hancock's real reply -
"But I don't want to learn another software program. I've been using this for years, and I have a life - I have other things to do besides learn something else - why can't they just leave it alone ! How will I make my softball team, and bowling league, if I have to stay home and learn a new program ! First they wanted me to fry the burgers at McDonnalds, then they wanted me to flame broil them at Burger King - it's ALL so confusing !".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on May 18, 2011 at 12:22:37 pm

That actually made me laugh out loud Bob!

Actually, I like learning new software- I've edited on Media 100, Edius, Avid, FCP, and I'm in the process of getting familiar with Premiere. When FCP-X comes out we'll get a copy at work and I'll put it through its paces, but until then I'm learning what else is available and testing it out. You're right about moving to Premiere because we already own the production bundle, and that's why I'm learning it and testing it now.

The thing is, FCP 7 works fine, but it's showing its age. I'm genuinely curious about what systems people are considering, or if they're just going to stay with FCP 7 if FCP-X disappoints. Besides, this forum has died down a bit. May as well post something.

Smoke and Scratch are out of our league/price range right now, I love Avid for editing but the effects can be rough compared to FCP and Premiere, plus we're on shared storage so the cost to go Avid is considerably higher then switching to Premiere. Plus I'm the only Avid trained editor so the learning curve would be rough for a while for everyone else. Premiere is pretty easy to figure out if you've used FCP.

I just wondered if people were already testing other software or just in a holding pattern. Or not planning anything.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 18, 2011 at 1:40:52 pm

Michael, to answer your question, I have been playing with Premiere and After Effects (my go to efx stapie) since CS5 came out. It is a strong contender if FCP X doesnt fit my needs.After 6 years on Avid MC and 12 on Avid DS Im not really interested in heading in that direction and have no real market forces pushing me there.
After learning CMX 3600, Avid Media Composer,Avid DS, Final Cut Pro, After Effects and all its support programs (Mocha, Camera Tracker, FX Factory, Syntheyes, Trapcode, etc) another program maybe time consuming but not daunting. I guess that liking to read manuals adds to my enjoyment of the learning process with this stuff.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 18, 2011 at 1:57:22 pm

[Tom Daigon] "I guess that liking to read manuals adds to my enjoyment of the learning process with this stuff."

Which reminds me, where are they fitting the PDF manual with the FCPX download? Of course those with good memories might remember that FCS3 didn't have any manuals at all originally, just help files. Apple later posted the manuals online. With FCPX we may find them in iBooks store.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 18, 2011 at 3:40:04 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Which reminds me, where are they fitting the PDF manual with the FCPX download?"

That's easy, you'll have to buy a dedicated iPad just for the manual. That's how Apple can afford to sell "X" for only $299.

Apple is going to force Michael Hancock to buy two iPads.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 18, 2011 at 4:33:26 pm

Ha! I was going to say exactly that but wanted to see who else was thinking the same.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 18, 2011 at 7:09:20 pm

I certainly will go either Avid or Premiere. I have used Avid before and just bought it but Premiere is a nice alternative. I will, however, continue using FCP 7 while getting used to Avid once again. Like others, too many questions and too few answers.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on May 18, 2011 at 5:31:20 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Let's pretend that FCP-X is a flop. It's missing a key feature you require - maybe it's buggy, there's no or XML OMF export/import, can't load older FCP projects, can't turn off the auto-stuff, no traditional bin structure and the metadata tagging isn't as efficient...whatever your imagine will break your workflow and be a no go at your shop.

What do you?..."

Sit back and laugh while I continue to use what I already have, because it works reasonably well. And I won't be out 300 bones, or have wasted my time being an unpaid Apple beta tester.

[Walter Soyka] "The FCPX forum has been very quiet over the last few weeks, and I miss the entertainment."

Well, there you go. I usually don't take requests, but what the hell...

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 20, 2011 at 9:47:56 pm

Interesting to me that so many clients, unsolicited, and also media-savvy have already remarked that what they've heard is that FCP-X has already "tanked", and in no small measure due to a very ill-considered preview.

What can you say about an incipient product whose real prospect has already resulted in a massive fan-out of experienced professionals actively evaluating and purchasing the competing applications? By any measure, a relations-disaster, but -big deal - Apple can count on millions of downloads at that price. It just doesn't matter if anyone uses it, or if everyone does. It will be out there, and if anyone like a third-AD boots up a preview clip on their laptop, then "A-List Feature Working Title" used FCPX in their production and the numbers get bumped up again. So what if the lion's share of the work is done with any of the competing products -- you can always re-jig the stats so the other guys are quote -fighting it out for second place.

Although they state that the numbers don't matter to them... who is Apple trying to kid? This all has some terrible feel of "disconnected-ness".

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 21, 2011 at 8:53:52 pm

Easy question. CS5. Already have it. Everything native. PP and AE linked. No brainer.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Monica F.P.Williams
on May 23, 2011 at 5:20:12 pm

Ciao everyone, Just my 2 cents.
One of the things about FCP is that clients sometime do their own rough cut (I know most of them shouldn't) or in some post houses I worked the story producers
give their stringouts.
Most of this people will buy FCP X.
So what do we do?
Any takes on this?
I have not problem to change software, in 20 years I've been there done that.
I always liked Smoke.
I think that our clients will dictate the changes we will have to make.

Monica F.P.williams
crocodile editing
web: http://www.crocodileediting.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]