FORUMS: list search recent posts

I Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
I Cut
on Sep 3, 2011 at 5:26:23 pm

“I CUT” would have been a better name. Then those who hate it could retort, “I BLEED.”

If the new application version does not open the files of the old version, then it is not in the same application line. Final Cut Ten One point 0, not Final Cut Pro anything. Period.

Same history with Imovie. Apple pulled the plug on millions of hobbyists with a new interface and missing features. After many bad reviews and protests, Apple offered the EOL Imovie HD as a free download but never updated it. They added the missing features on the new one slowly but the workflow/UI remained less … educated. Ironically, the new Imovie had the same look and some of the same feel as the new FC.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: I Cut
on Sep 3, 2011 at 6:51:04 pm

[Craig Alan] "I CUT” would have been a better name."

But not from the perspective of Apple's marketing department.
Certainly FCPX is an entirely new app but it's not too uncommon for companies to keep a name to create the illusion of lineage.

Randy Ubillos wanted to name what eventually became iMovie 08, "First Cut." That name might have accurately reflected that iMovie would be a rough cut/selects system for import into what is now FCPX. But Randy did want a different name for the new iMovie. Apparently he was overruled.

OSX, despite being superficially one version up from OS9, was an entirely new and unrelated operating system.

Your comments do allude another difference between how EOL was handled for another product compared to the FCPX introduction fiasco.

OS9 to OSX had a long transition. OSX was not very usable the first couple of iterations and was missing features from OS9 for some time.

iMovie 6 was made available for free to iMovie 08 purchasers for a long time.

Throw in the fact that when Shake was EOLd (with no obvious replacement) it remained available at a reduced price for some time.

Unlike any of the above routes, FCS was pulled immediately with no (now very limited) availability and no transition period. In this case, keeping the same product name created more animus because the path was more typical of an upgrade (old version is replaced by new version). This, more than any other reason, is why some people felt it should have been named differently. In previous cases when Apple had a new product maintaining a different product's name, there was a transition period.

Calling the new iMovie "First Cut" would have been logical in 20/20 hindsight given the new "Final Cut" given the UI connection and import feature. On the other hand if Apple felt strongly about using iMovie for the new product than iCut certainly could be a logical outgrowth. In both cases though, Apple continued the original product name which might have kept naming consistency within each product but creates a discontinuity between their relationship.

Now riddle me this. We have iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad but we also have iMac. Yet we have MacMini, MacBookAir, MacBookPro, MacPro. Why does the iMac get a name that matches the iOS devices but all the other computers are MacName? Maybe the iMac should really be called the MacUni (all in one) or something similar. Why did the iBook change naming lineage to MacBook?

Sounds like Apple's naming conventions are a bit all over the place.

So what would a fan be? MacHead or iHead? iNeither but some of you would say iDoubt It.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Sep 4, 2011 at 1:47:15 am

[Craig Seeman] "Why does the iMac get a name that matches the iOS devices but all the other computers are MacName?"

Because the iMac came before iOS devices.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 4, 2011 at 3:31:42 am

[David Lawrence] "Because the iMac came before iOS devices."

Then the following should be iMacMini, IMacPro. Easy enough to be consistent. This would be especially so if the claims that the next major OS after Lion will "unify" iOS and OSX.

iMac was actually the first "i" then the marketing reason to diverge into iDevices and Non iDevices creating incongruity in the marketing message on product line names. They could have changed the name of the iMac just as iBook became MacBook.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Sep 4, 2011 at 6:15:33 am

[Craig Seeman] "Then the following should be iMacMini, IMacPro. Easy enough to be consistent. This would be especially so if the claims that the next major OS after Lion will "unify" iOS and OSX.
"

OK, to take your argument to the nth level... Why wasn't the iMac called the "iMacintosh"? All of the previous machines were known as "Macintosh". Wait... the original iMac was PowerPC based. It should have been named the "Power iMacintosh" or perhaps the "iPower Mac Macintosh Plus SE".

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Sep 5, 2011 at 7:02:22 am

[Craig Seeman] "Why did the iBook change naming lineage to MacBook?"
At the time the purpose was to reinvigorate the Mac brand. Now that iDevices have truly taken off it's hard to remember that Apple was still fighting for it's life not too long ago. They weren't as inevitable as they are now.

I also think they are looking for a way to rename AppleTV iTV once they can get through the trademark issues.

-------------
David A Fenton
-------------

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Sep 4, 2011 at 3:52:42 pm

They should have just named it iHobby Pro. It really is geared towards hobbyists and to a limited but powerful degree to social media.

Or iFacebook Live...

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Sep 4, 2011 at 8:28:17 pm

Sure. IHobby pro with a 4k timeline.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 4, 2011 at 8:54:33 pm

IHobby Pro with real time scopes.
iHobby Pro with ProRes 4444 support.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Sep 4, 2011 at 9:30:42 pm

[Craig Seeman]
"IHobby Pro with real time scopes.
iHobby Pro with ProRes 4444 support."

iHobby Pro with a Fisher-Price UI.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 4, 2011 at 9:44:02 pm

[David Lawrence] "iHobby Pro with a Fisher-Price UI."

Fisher-Price made a really interesting camera. The Pixel Vision 2000.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 4, 2011 at 9:46:52 pm

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 4, 2011 at 9:49:20 pm

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Sep 4, 2011 at 9:53:47 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Fisher-Price made a really interesting camera. The Pixel Vision 2000."

I have one and it's awesome! Need to get it fixed so I can start using it on jobs ;)

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Sep 4, 2011 at 9:59:33 pm

[David Lawrence] " iHobby Pro with a Fisher-Price UI."

Perfect. It really is like going from a Lincoln Continental to a Pontiac Sunfire and the over sized radio knob just fell off...d'oh!

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Sep 4, 2011 at 9:52:11 pm

[Paul Jay] " Sure. IHobby pro with a 4k timeline."

oooo...a 4k timeline where I can't even ingest the aspect ratio I shot in...

pffft

I didn't just say "iHobby"...I threw it a bone and gave it a "Pro"

Return to posts index

Liam Hall
on Sep 5, 2011 at 8:56:57 pm

I'm not sure about iCut; since it's made so many people pissed, I'd call it Half-Cut...

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor
http://www.liamhall.net

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 5, 2011 at 8:58:49 pm

Apple will consult iChing on that.

Return to posts index

David Dobson
on Sep 7, 2011 at 10:53:25 pm

How about iQuit?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 7, 2011 at 10:58:07 pm

iDon't

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 7, 2011 at 11:00:47 pm

[Craig Seeman] "iDon't"

But Craig, what's going to happen when you run out of all those really farfetched analogies? :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 7, 2011 at 11:14:20 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "But Craig, what's going to happen when you run out of all those really farfetched analogies? :)"

It will take an NLE like FCPX to edit the sequel to Inception. It will be world without tracks. Storylines will be magnetic. When you sleep, editing time will be compressed.

If you thing my analogies are farfetched it must mean that both my arms and mind can reach that far to fetch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]