FORUMS: list search recent posts

Received my copy of CS5.5 in the mail today.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
Received my copy of CS5.5 in the mail today.
on Sep 3, 2011 at 9:28:46 am

Why am I posting this here? Because if it weren't for Apple and FCX, I doubt the half-price deal would have happened. B&H had the switch price, no sales tax and $1 shipping.

That's a lot of apps for $850. I'm still trying to make FCX work, but my toolbox is significantly bigger now.

Thank you Adobe. Thank you Apple.

---------
FCX. She tempts me, abuses me, beats me up, makes me feel worthless, then in the end she comes around, helps me get my work done, gives me hope and I can't stop thinking about her.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Jim Glickert
Re: Received my copy of CS5.5 in the mail today.
on Sep 3, 2011 at 3:10:43 pm

Beat you. Got mine a week ago. I wish Apple had given us what we wanted, but they thought they knew better. I'm hoping Adobe learns from Apple's mistake. Apple apparently didn't.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Sep 3, 2011 at 5:20:31 pm

LOL!!!! The $299 investment in FCP X still made that suite a deal... Go FCP X. You just saved Mark more than the cost of a new license for FCS 3... LOL.. this is too funny. Good for you Mark.

As far as I can see, the cost of Avid + FCS 3 + Adobe Suite + FCP X should still be within the means of most working all the time professionals, right? You can have all three for 3.5k or so??? LOL... what a moment in NLE history... You'll not see this again any time soon... or, is this the new pricing model for all this software from these three great companies?

Jerry

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 3, 2011 at 6:41:43 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I'm kinda floored that anyone charging for their services didn't already have the Adobe Production Premium bundle. As a professional I don't know how to get by without Illustrator and Photoshop and After Effects. Maybe some people don't need one of these apps, but by the time you need two you should just buy the bundle. I just assumed we all had Premiere by default sitting around in our bundles.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Sep 3, 2011 at 7:40:31 pm

Well excuuuuuuse meeeeee.

Are you saying I'm not worth my money?

[Bret Williams] "I'm kinda floored"

Get yourself off the floor.

I've been living without Illustrator and After Effects, but never without Photoshop. I have a very old copy so I love being up to date.

And I know that Motion is not After Effects, but I haven't come close to exhausting what I can do with it.

---------
FCX. She tempts me, abuses me, beats me up, makes me feel worthless, then in the end she comes around, helps me get my work done, gives me hope and I can't stop thinking about her.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Sep 4, 2011 at 11:15:19 am

[Mark Morache] "Thank you Adobe."

You're welcome. ;-) Check out a lot of the tutorials that are on Adobe TV and elsewhere to get up to speed on whatever apps you intend to embrace.

[Mark Morache] "Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX"

Please add Adobe. I mean if you have Xpri there, you gotta add us. I remember the Xpri well (smile)...

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 4, 2011 at 2:26:32 pm

Dennis -

If Adobe wants to be taken seriously they need to take their multi-cam option seriously - a 4 camera limit is not serious.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Sep 4, 2011 at 8:46:04 pm

True and we acknowledge this. Like any software developer, we're always choosing which of the hundreds or thousands of features are most important to the widest range of users. When we first did multi-cam, we knew that providing 4 cameras would address ~95% of the people who needed to use multi-cam. However, for game shows, concerts and other events, 4 is simply not enough.

We have identified improving our multi-camera editing experience as one of the more important features.

That said, I do think that there are a couple of nice things about Premiere Pro's multi-cam as compared to FCP 7. First, is the idea that you can mix multiple cameras types. For example, P2 and XDCAM. The other nifty feature that I think is useful is that anything can be considered a camera including a sequence. In theory that does help expand the possibilities of the multi-camera environment in Premiere Pro.

All of the above aside, we know that improving multi-cam is important for our users. And as you can tell from my coy response, that is all I'm prepared to say on it. ;-)

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 4, 2011 at 9:19:40 pm

"That said, I do think that there are a couple of nice things about Premiere Pro's multi-cam as compared to FCP 7."

There are pros and cons to each way of setting up multi-cam. I do appreciate all the advantages of laying out the clips in a reference timeline, the PPro method, and the most important for me is one you left out - the ability to have some of the camera's start and stop while other camera's run continuously and still all be matched into the same multi-clip. This is a major advantage of the PPro method.

However it's the basic editing functionality that is most crucial - and where FCP shines. Many designers (not talking about Adobe here) think the only thing multi-camera is used for is a kind of delayed "live-switching." For advanced users this is definitely not the case, we need to have all the functionality of working with a normal clip - matching back to the source clip, choosing which audio channels to use - but we need it for each of the camera angels involved AND then we need all the switching elements as well.

I make as many audio edits, L and J-cuts, as any single camera editor and I need to do it with from 5 to 7 cameras, with the ability to keep sync from camera A with the audio from camera D. This is what the most serious multi-cam editors will need from PPro in order to make the switch. I look forward to see where you guys are going to take it.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Mike Halper
on Sep 6, 2011 at 12:46:38 am

Since there's someone from Adobe looking at this thread, I'd like to mention a major issue I have with Premiere Pro. The video output/monitor settings are set by the sequence settings, and once those settings are established they can't be changed. So if I want to give a copy of a project to someone or take it to another system that has different output and monitoring hardware the only way to get it to work is to create a new sequence and copy and paste all content from one sequence to another. And if there's multiple sequences in a potentially large project this because time consuming and just a hassle.

With FCP and Avid MC, the video output/monitor settings are set globally for the entire application. So I can take a project or sequence to any system and have it work right away. This is the way it should be.

The way Adobe Premiere Pro does it is a deal-breaker for me. Like many, I am looking at other options and likely switching from FCP. The only option for me right now is Avid MC, and I know many other editors that have been looking at Premiere Pro and Avid MC and they all agree with this. Hopefully Adobe will look at this issue and do something about it in the next version, though it appears to me to be a major change in the functionality of Adobe Premiere Pro so I'm guessing it's unlikely.

Mike

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: ceived my copy of CS5.5 in the mail today.
on Sep 6, 2011 at 3:50:25 am

Yup. And what's with the whole ridiculous work area? I want to highlight a clip and press the render key. No need for a work area to determine my render area.

Return to posts index

Martti Ekstrand
on Sep 4, 2011 at 3:25:40 pm

Now Dennis, if you guys could take a look at your international pricing. The CS5.5 Production Suite costs $1699 plus VAT in your US online store. On your swedish store the exactly same version downloaded from the same server costs $2993 plus swedish VAT!

Why? What's the reason for charging nearly twice the price? I would understand it if the application suite was fully translated to swedish*, came with swedish printed manuals in a physical box to my doorstep with a red ribbon around it but when downloaded from the same server it's a bit incomprehensible.

cheers

*Neither PPro nor AE even exists in swedish versions.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Sep 4, 2011 at 3:59:50 pm

Is there an option somewhere in PPro, like FC where I can drag a clip from the bin into the timeline and it asks if I'd like to auto-conform the sequence to the clip settings? Or is this all still a manual process...?

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Sep 4, 2011 at 8:39:26 pm

In the project window you can drag a clip over a new sequence button at the bottom of the project window and it will create a sequence based on the clips settings. Just like After Effects.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Sep 4, 2011 at 8:47:31 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "Is there an option somewhere in PPro, like FC where I can drag a clip from the bin into the timeline and it asks if I'd like to auto-conform the sequence to the clip settings? Or is this all still a manual process...?"

Yes, you can either right click on a clip in the project panel and create a sequence from it's attributes or you can drag that same clip to the 'new item' button at the bottom of the project panel and accomplish the same thing.

Hope this helps,
Dennis

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Sep 5, 2011 at 2:50:21 pm

Sweet action! Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Dobson
on Sep 7, 2011 at 11:09:33 pm

There is not. You set up sequences before putting anything into them at all and that's what you are stuck with. As someone who is used that being the norm, that auto conform feature really bugged me.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Sep 8, 2011 at 12:33:13 am

It's been one of the handiest little quirks in fcp for myself. I love it. I can't tell you how many times I've utilized it duping a sequence and dropping in a hi-res shot to a sd timeline for technical review to upload to my director over-seas without all the manual shenanigans forgetting what sequence settings I needed on those late late nights I was on the verge of hallucinating...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]