FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX. Not bad. Better then previous thought

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ted irving
FCPX. Not bad. Better then previous thought
on Sep 1, 2011 at 2:43:43 pm

Been using FCPX for about three weeks not for DNG work. I use the old style A/B roll linear editing in a non-linear environment and I'm having no problems. The program does all of what I need it to do for that genre. And most of what I've done in FCP 7, I can do now albeit differently. Those differences are not hard to grasp or change to. Dropping in a transparent .psd file. no problem. pen tools on audio. no problem. Match framing. good. And it is much faster. There are less moves I have to make. However, I'm still investigating this, but lack of time-code is bothersome. Layering & compositing is an issue as well, but mostly because I don't have Motion 5. And there are more moves when trying to add transitions to multiple layers. Exporting is easier, but I like having the option to modify all of my codec settings. That is limited. For my short film work I'll need time-code support, use of my plugins like Magic Bullet and Nattress. And I want to see if Black Magic will have PCIe cards for this software version. I have not tested titles or key framing yet, but all-in-all, I can do most of what I need to for my primary job, DNG. I have a documentary I'll be putting together and I will be doing it with FCP-X. That will be the big test for me.
Check out this Friday too. It sheds some light on the features and eased a lot of my worries.

http://fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/512-evan-schectmann-talks-sense-about-fcpx...

Ted Irving
Content Freelancer
Media Instructor
http://www.tedtv.tv
tedirving@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX. Not bad. Better then previous thought
on Sep 1, 2011 at 7:50:45 pm

[ted irving] " However, I'm still investigating this, but lack of time-code is bothersome. "

It's far from ideal, but you can choose the trim (t) or range (r) tools and as you move the mouse over a clip, it shows the tc of the clip in the middle tc window. Some pop ups or other interface is definitely needed.

[ted irving] "Layering & compositing is an issue as well,"

How?

[ted irving] "Check out this Friday too. It sheds some light on the features and eased a lot of my worries.
http://fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/512-evan-schectmann-talks-sense-about-fcpx....."

Love the f bomb

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Sep 1, 2011 at 9:36:37 pm

Its interesting, because there's so much free space to the left and right side of the time code window that could be used to show more time line TC info.

Return to posts index

ted irving
on Sep 1, 2011 at 10:52:49 pm

the layering & compositing for right now is not being able to copy & paste attributes, drag a filter & appply it at one time to all layers or at least layers above the storyboard space. and most of this is just acquiring the right workflow, so im positive ill get there. thanks for the info. will definitely use it.

Ted Irving
Content Freelancer
Media Instructor
tedirving@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 2, 2011 at 2:24:15 pm

[ted irving] "the layering & compositing for right now is not being able to copy & paste attributes,"

You can, it's just different. You can copy whatever you want and paste to whatever clip you want out of the inspector and that includes effects that have been "turned off" as a way of removing attributes.

[ted irving] "drag a filter & appply it at one time to all layers or at least layers above the storyboard space"

You can use the timeline index for this, or simply select what you want and double click a filter (or copy and paste the filter).

[ted irving] " and most of this is just acquiring the right workflow, so im positive ill get there."

Yeah, it takes a minute. It is certainly different and best to go in open minded if you can. If not, you will be trying to "force" it to do things that simply don't work the same way as before.

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on Sep 3, 2011 at 4:09:39 pm

Weird thing is you can copy an FX to a storyline in the timeline index, but it seems to me that when you do that, there's no way to remove or turn of the FX on that storyline, or am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
FCP back on sale, sans horse and stable.
on Sep 2, 2011 at 2:56:43 am

apple is now making touch based mobile devices.
right?

say cupertino isn't thinking about editing - they aren't and they won't - not in six months, not in a year, not in three.

Its done.

The whole of FCP as a thrust is a dead application. Every app that was ever around it is dead and the entire ethos underlying it is dead.
The apple that bought or generated those philosophies is dead.

FCPX was a very weird hard fought care nothing kiss off moment.

hyperbolically? .... like.... dr. manhatten below exiting - I really do think they're gone.

http://images.wikia.com/watchmen/images/5/50/Doctor_Manhattan_reappears.jpg

there is no three year FCPX, there is no roadmap - it's done and entirely over. we've had our soup.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
Re: FCP back on sale, sans horse and stable.
on Sep 2, 2011 at 8:44:38 am

That's the right image, but Dr Manhattan is us - not Apple - except in one small detail about midway down, perhaps lol:)

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 2, 2011 at 1:59:03 pm

Just watched the first part of Evan Schectmann's presentation and then had to turn it off before I barfed. He's an arrogant self inflated windbag - who better to present the case for FCPX.

To paraphrase -

"Who needs EDLs, nobody right, wait I see some people raising their hands, well your just a bunch of morons so go screw yourself."

"Who needs tape controls? Well nobody does it as well as the I/O card manufacturers, so well let them handle it because, well you know, go **** yourself."

All this after we get a history of the NLE, from Apple's point of view, as though nothing else was going on in the industry.

And most importantly there is this total logical disconnect that comes from the X camp -

FCP7 was a technical dead end (true)

It had to be re-written from the ground up in 64 bit to stay not just abreast but ahead of media changes for the next decade (true)

Therefore this change necessitated a change in the entire design of the editors workflow (not true)

This was just more gas from an already over inflated bag.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

ted irving
on Sep 3, 2011 at 3:04:18 am

yeah he is arrogant, but after watching his presentation i had a bit more faith in the program, then i just dove in. And as I stated in my first post, not bad. I'm really doing all that I had done in FCP7 except for a few things. I was big on button assignments and I haven't even attempted to see if that is a function or not. And I'm a bit concerned about RAM. I've got 7 gigs on a 2.8ghz Quad Core Nahalem with a ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1gig of RAM, yet I'm getting some spinning pin wheels. Not a lot but enough to notice that it is annoying. Probably because I'm just importing my DSLR H.264 directly in without optimization. I"m going to keep at it. It does work. And hopefully BlackMagic & AJA will have some hardware I can use with it. FCP7 will stay installed on my system because I may need to go back to older projects. As much as I love Avid & had fun in the 90's with PRemiere PRo, I just don't want to go back to those. :)

Ted Irving
Content Freelancer
Media Instructor
tedirving@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]