FORUMS: list search recent posts

PixelCorps discusses Final Cut Pro X - "insights and incites" (my own title)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
on Aug 30, 2011 at 5:28:31 am

A very different discussion which seems to be very much about discovering interesting workflows as well as what one might call workflaws.
Mark Spencer and Steve Martin of Ripple Training along with Alex Lindsay.
I'm tempted to double post this in FCPX Techniques because that could lead to some very different discussion on workflows.
It does provide some new insights and incites in my opinion.
It's interesting to hear from trainers including FCPX beta tester Steve Martin as well ducking some speculative questions and Alex Lindsay playing cynic.

Return to posts index

rob essers
Re: PixelCorps discusses Final Cut Pro X - "insights and incites" (my own title)
on Aug 30, 2011 at 12:47:12 pm

The problem for me with the show is that they are not objective enough.
They are commercially involved to sell their training products.
The example off a audio compound clip is not so nice if you want to add audio Fx files without seeing the video. The database structure is sure an improvement but when your project is offline because
the event links are broken to the original files their is no way to rescue you project (sequence).
You can start from scratch all over again. Not so nice when you have a deadline. Try to make a video fade
you have to click on a clip activate show video information, click on opacity and slide with the fader.
This is not a serious NLE, in MC I only use one keystroke to make a fade. When you start editing Fcp X is maybe a choice but I am much faster on MC to finish a project.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: PixelCorps discusses Final Cut Pro X - "insights and incites" (my own title)
on Aug 30, 2011 at 2:29:47 pm

[rob essers] "They are commercially involved to sell their training products."

While Pixelcorp is Mac based, they are not FCP limited. Alex Lindsay is not a producer of Ripple Training DVDs. Note that Mark Spencer and Steve Martin called him they cynic. He brought up how he (Alex) uses Adobe integration for example and Premiere on several occasions. As an interviewer he "politely" kept a critical eye on the other two. Both Spencer and Martin were fairly honest about the workarounds but also have a deep understanding of what's going on under the hood of FCPX. Note they began by saying Compound clips for audio is NOT the mixer they want.

Personally I'd used Avid for about 12 years, trained editors, engineered an all Avid facility. . . and I fine FCPX has MANY advantages over Avid. . . and obviously much still lacking. It's not all or nothing and FCPX is faster for certain types of editing and not others.

Return to posts index

rob essers
on Aug 30, 2011 at 4:29:05 pm

I hear a lot off editors who used Avid for years. I was an FCP user from version 1.00 and switch to MC 5.0 in 2010. I am really happy I made the move. Maybe it is time for a lot off editors who waved Avid goodbye to check it again. A lot off smaller improvements make a huge impact on the way you work on a daily basis. Like AAF export with the same audio plugins and settings we use in Pro Tools its really a time saver.

It is nice to start in FCP X but it really slows me down when I am further on in an edit. I have to lower every set noise on a connect clip. And 2 projects are gone offline because I used the same media in After effects and there was a change in meta data. Links are there and the original files also they don't moved.
So a good advice is to always copy the files to your event or use optimize media. But right at the moment it is to dangerous to use it on serious projects.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 30, 2011 at 4:42:27 pm

Yes, the problems you mention in FCPX are quite real and quite severe. It's by no mean a competitor to Avid for the moment. It's unsuitable for anything that requires communicating with another app. Right now FCPX is OK for completely self contained projects that do not require complex audio mixing or color grading. It can't even roundtrip to Motion at the moment. That said, I think the technical foundation is good but Apple needs to provide the hooks in order to make it more broadly useful. I think they will but that doesn't help those who have an immediate need of course.

I thought the PixelCorps discussion had some unique value because two of the participants are trainers and I think they were acutely aware of the shortcomings yet continue to explore new workflow possibilities. Compound audio clips won't replace a mixer as they mentioned but it does open the door to some interesting groupings.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Aug 31, 2011 at 10:05:15 pm

Thanks for the post Craig. It's quite a long, rambling show, but always useful.

That trick about creating a compound clip of the audio is very clever. Is it practical? Only if you never need to go back and change anything. I imagine editing the audio inside the compound clip without being able to see anything might be difficult.

I have to send out split channel files for output to tape. Ordinarily it's not a big problem to use the timeline index (which I love) and selectively disable clips so I can export my "stem tracks". It becomes a problem if the clips are in a compound clip. Thankfully FCX let me detatch the audio from the compound clips, so they all became visible, without unnesting the layered video. But God forbid I had to go back and change something inside the compound clip.

I think we need to start a new forum "Final Cut Pro Workarounds".

[Craig Seeman] "Apple needs to provide the hooks in order to make it more broadly useful"

Just wait. That upgrade is right around the corner and it will answer all our questions, fix all of our problems, and make the haters sorry they just spent money to switch to Avid or Adobe.

(I myself am expecting my Creative Suite to arrive from B&H in a couple of days. Not switching by any means, but it never hurts to have the extra tools. Even if I don't want to touch my original clips in AE5.5!)

---------
I'm calling it FCX. They took the "pro" out, so I will too.
I'll reconsider after the first upgrade.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
blogging at http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]