FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gave FCPX a test run

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Wardlow
Gave FCPX a test run
on Aug 29, 2011 at 4:36:09 pm

Okay as promised in another thread, I gave FCPX a test run and decided my thoughts about its use for a non-linear experimental filmmaker such as myself.

First and foremost, in its current state, it would not easily work for me.

I used a buddy's copy who mainly does vlogs (a film-making choice that I am not as nearly down on as some in this forum). He loves it. And it does seem okay for those seeking to put together a straight-forward linear narrative with lots of sync sound, as long as it is not too complex or demands lots of precision audio effects.

As mentioned elsewhere in this forum, there are just too many things wouldn't work for me and I don't want to revisit them ad naseum.

However, the one thing I did find of interest philosophically about FCPX was the idea of storyline and the ability to run concurrent storylines with-in the same timeline. Now this is something I would, as an experimental filmmaker, like to play with. However this idea seems in its infancy and FCPX has to make many changes before it is workable as I see it.

Most importantly, a precision tool is needed in "secondary" storylines. Number 2, I would like a change in the idea of "primary" and "secondary" storylines. A more numerically based system in which I could change the hierarchy of storylines through out the edit would work much better. Also the ability to place precision gaps within each storyline is a must.

Still, as a concept, it is the thing that interests me the most about FCPX --not the magnetic timeline (which I admittedly do not care for). Nor its use of metadata (though that has some potential). But the idea of mutating our concept of story and the experimental gold it could produce.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]