FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good Job Steve

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
Good Job Steve
on Aug 25, 2011 at 10:26:21 am

I know a lot of people are really disappointed with FCP X ( I'm not one of them) but I just thought I'd say thanks to Steve Jobs for helping me make a living for the last quarter of a century.

And as I'm sure this forum is top of Steve's iPad breakfast reading . . .

. . . Thanks Steve! Good Job well done.

I've been using Apple computers within my video production career for 26 years. I started with the Macintosh 11 and have just about kept up with the technology since then.

On a shelf in my office I've kept every version of FCP. I started digital video editing with Final Cut Pro 2 and that was ten years ago. Just can't seem to throw them away as the packaging is so substantial and I'm sure someone, someday, will want them.

Originally I used to edit 'time code in vision' versions of the location rushes on 'Highband' Umatic machines and then take a typed EDL into the 3 machine Edit Suite and sit around for a couple of day whilst a highly skilled and very techy ( and tetchy ) editor pulled it all together.

It was so very exciting watching shot after shot after shot being edited together that sometimes the client came along and also sat there watching the editor working.

So ten years on I'm assessing and learning FCP X.

And these days its a very rare occasion for a client to come to our office / studio. Approvals and final delivery is mostly done with a couple of mouse clicks.

My mac pro handles every aspect of my business, scripting. proposals, music composition, graphics production, and not least, editing.

And I almost understand how to work it all,

So, thanks Steve, and good luck with your health.

Mark Dobson
Producer and Director
Alembic TV
http://www.alembic.tv

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
Re: Good Job Steve
on Aug 25, 2011 at 2:24:19 pm

FCX will go down as one of the things he was so wrong on...the lists are starting ;)

"It's going to be awesome!"

No Steve, you killed awesome and turned it into the worst NLE on the market...

Return to posts index

Michael Heckman
on Aug 25, 2011 at 2:43:13 pm

My guess is that Steve had lithe or nothing to do with Final Cut X (not in any way Pro). It probably was nowhere near the top of his list during his final months at the helm. Sadly, I think it's a preview of Apple in the post Jobs era. Anybody remember "awesome genius" John Scully, and how he ran the company into the ground? Iceberg, dead ahead.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Aug 25, 2011 at 3:12:38 pm

All speculative I guess. It could go either way. Apple, under Jobs, EOL'd most of the enterprise software they acquired...so...hopefully one day we'll discover who was really behind this debacle...

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Aug 25, 2011 at 4:47:15 pm

[Michael Heckman] "Sadly, I think it's a preview of Apple in the post Jobs era. Anybody remember "awesome genius" John Scully, and how he ran the company into the ground? Iceberg, dead ahead."

Are you saying Tim Cook, who has been at Apple since 1998 and who has been acting CEO twice in the last few years (Apple's most successful years by far), is going to be another Scully?

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Michael Heckman
on Aug 25, 2011 at 5:08:30 pm

Are you saying Tim Cook, who has been at Apple since 1998 and who has been acting CEO twice in the last few years (Apple's most successful years by far), is going to be another Scully?

Not necessarily. A hallmark of the Scully era was management by committee. Without boldness at the helm, the distance from greatness to mediocrity grows shorter. I hope that Cook has such boldness, but that remains to be seen. And without Steve, it's by no means a sure thing.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Aug 25, 2011 at 5:14:22 pm

True. No one else is Steve. This will be a test of the DNA they think they've got.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 25, 2011 at 10:02:00 pm

I think individually, Apple not only has great managers like Cook but visionaries like Ive and Ubillos. The challenge will be the ability to mesh since there is no one individual to push the boundaries of the market. Also Jobs is an excellent negotiator and marketer and it's not clear to me where the leaders are in those parts of Apple's DNA.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Aug 25, 2011 at 10:55:38 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I think individually, Apple not only has great managers like Cook but visionaries like Ive and Ubillos. The challenge will be the ability to mesh since there is no one individual to push the boundaries of the market. Also Jobs is an excellent negotiator and marketer and it's not clear to me where the leaders are in those parts of Apple's DNA."

I think it goes beyond just pushing the boundaries of the market. Jobs' attention to detail and visionary leadership have driven the excellence of Apple's products since his return to the company. It's true he's surrounded by some of the best and brightest in the industry but he's the filter through which their work passes. It will be interesting to see how much of his vision has transferred to the institution.

I was looking at the new Apple leadership chart and noticed something interesting and revealing.

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/

Notice the role not on that chart?

Scott Forstall is Senior VP of iOS software. Who's his senior management equal for MacOS software? From this chart it looks like no one. This would explain a lot about the declining quality of Mac OS software releases this summer. Especially if Steve's been too preoccupied and marketing and engineering are driving development.

Things are probably set for the next couple years but in the long term who knows what Apple will look like? Interesting times.

I wish Steve Jobs nothing but the best. He changed my life and the lives of millions of others for the better.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 26, 2011 at 12:52:16 am

I still think they're playing dutch total football though.

so apple have set market revenue in the creative pickup truck hardware/software sphere, annnd they also now have mindboggling sums accruing through telecoms and mobile - iOS whatnot.
Still - I'd be the bit surprised if it's a zero sum game with regard to their attention - that they may feel the need to amputate entire sectors of operation and profit in what is a highly fluid situation, simply in order to gain yet more focus on the emerging markets. When you look at the product role out as defined by jobs - its incredibly stately to this point. outside of the Mac/OSX behometh we only say two things in ten years; ipod and then iphone.

ok it's three - but ipad is still a mad infant stellar system. I'm inclined to think that Apple are deeply pleased to have more gardens to tend to. they do rather seem to have the capacity. They still need to fix this shagging editing software tho.

Steve jobs - aigne luimneach an saol. Ní bheidh a leithéad arís ann.

below: ten to fifteen years ahead, its insane what he foresaw and built. 1992!!!:

he trusted great design in his bones (paul rand was a teddy bear?)

mad young.

hangs tough with picasso, f**k it come on - they really should have met.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 26, 2011 at 1:41:42 am

Great compilation, Aindreas. Good show.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Aug 26, 2011 at 6:28:37 am

Great bunch of clips Aindreas,

amazing how much we take for granted now - wow, windows you can move around the screen!

and you are right - there never will his like again.

Mark Dobson
Producer and Director
Alembic TV
http://www.alembic.tv

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Aug 26, 2011 at 1:09:55 am

[David Lawrence] "Who's his senior management equal for MacOS software?"

It used to be Bertrand Serlet. He left this past March to focus on research pursuits. He came to Apple with Steve in the NeXT deal, and helmed the transition to OS X. Craig Federighi filled the responsibility vacuum, but has not been elevated to SVP status.

I too wonder about the political implications of not having an SVP of Mac Software Engineering, but I don't think Lion is a weak update. There is a huge amount of new guts there, particularly for media. They basically replaced QuickTime in Lion with all new frameworks in the form of CoreMedia and AVFoundation. Not trivial stuff. I hate the new look of iCal and Address Book, I yawn at Mission Control and Launchpad, but that isn't everything going on in Lion.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Aug 26, 2011 at 1:38:53 am

[Andrew Richards] "I too wonder about the political implications of not having an SVP of Mac Software Engineering, but I don't think Lion is a weak update. There is a huge amount of new guts there, particularly for media. They basically replaced QuickTime in Lion with all new frameworks in the form of CoreMedia and AVFoundation. Not trivial stuff. I hate the new look of iCal and Address Book, I yawn at Mission Control and Launchpad, but that isn't everything going on in Lion."

Agreed. Just like FCPX, there's lots of deeply good engineering under the hood and hopefully in the next 4 to 6 months it will be ready to put into production.

But Mac OS software UI is a mess right now. It really feels like no one's minding the store. I mean Apple wrote the book on human interface and these days it seems like they don't even follow their own guidelines half the time. It's odd finding not just bugs but obvious UI usability mistakes in major software from one of the world's leading UI design companies. If no one's really in charge right now, that would explain a lot.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Gerald Baria
on Aug 26, 2011 at 4:06:23 am

Eventually osx will disapper, and a souped up version of iOS will take its place. Jobs ultimate dream of modal computing, no filesystem and zero learning curve on using the operating system all came tru with iOS..and it is Apple's future.

Quobetah
New=Better

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 26, 2011 at 6:05:26 pm

I think this is a pretty good reflection of the "gestalt" of Steve Jobs.

He seems to have always started by attempting to simplify things to their core. Then needed layers of complexity are attempted within that that core of simplicity.

In simple processes - like playing music from a device that must be immune to g-forces - huge simplicity can be maintained.

In the extremely complex arena, like OS design and even video editing software, the challenge is to maintain stunningly complex and variable requirements (features) while making it as accessible as possible to the most people.

One of the reasons that the iPad has been such a HUGE success is that the OS design requires little training to operate. Touch - slide - respond. That's about it.

It will certainly be interesting to see how that design philosophy continues to play out without Mr. Jobs.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 26, 2011 at 7:01:05 pm

[Bill Davis] "It will certainly be interesting to see how that design philosophy continues to play out without Mr. Jobs."

I think one of the real concerns is not so much the declining involvement of Jobs but the potential exodus of the people who have been imbued with similar spirit and thinking. That's why there was so much concern about the potential loss of Jonathan Ive earlier in the year.

I have to think the move/refocus from CEO to Chairman of the Board is related to the above. Given Jobs can no longer do everything, the managerial functions of the company but the "DNA" (creatives) may need attention. I suspect Jobs' move is that that's his "special assignment" because Apple can't afford to have his "like minded" creatives walk away.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 26, 2011 at 9:12:06 pm

The most interesting thing I read this morning while scanning the business press about Jobs stepping down was a thoughful piece by venture capitalist and tech writer James Altucher.

He notes: "... a great story is the Zen master and his student walking by a river. A prostitute was there and needed to be carried over the river. The Zen master picked her up and carried her across the river and then put her down. Then the master and student kept walking. A few hours later the student was so agitated he finally had to ask, "Master, how could you touch and help that prostitute! That's against what we believe in!" And the Master said, "I left her by the river. Why are you still carrying her?"

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Aug 26, 2011 at 2:46:25 am

The NY Times had an interesting piece on his patents. I didn't realize he was so much of a designer.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/08/24/technology/steve-jobs-patents...

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]