FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 3 Academic version - registered but doesn't work!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Bishop
Final Cut Pro 3 Academic version - registered but doesn't work!
on May 14, 2011 at 9:53:07 am

Hi chaps (& chapesses!)
I recently bought a used Academic version of FCP 3. I work in schools helping children with their computer stuff so assumed I am entitled to buy this version. However, although I have registered the product with Apple, the software asks for a serial number but I cannot find one anywhere. The registration number was accepted by Apple, so where would the serial number be? The seller assures me that everything is present in the package (9 FCP 3 discs, 9 Tutorial discs plus manuals etc).

Have I bought another crock? I cannot afford to buy a new Mac, or new Apple software so have to trawl around searching for used items. FCP 3 was the one I was told could be used on my old G5 running OS 10.3 Panther. I did have OS 10.4 Tiger loaded but was advised that FCP would not run on that, so I reloaded 10.3.

All I want to do is learn FCP so that I can help the kids learn about editing. I will also be using it to edit a variety of school video footage (I'll have to shoot all that too!) such a productions, assemblies, basketball games etc.

Any ideas? Sorry to ramble on my first post.

Death is nature's way of telling us to slow down.

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
Re: Final Cut Pro 3 Academic version - registered but doesn't work!
on May 14, 2011 at 11:47:17 am

Hi
Final Cut Pro v3 (dating from about 2002/30)?
There were two versions, one for OS 9 and v 3.0.3 or 3.0.4 that was on a different disc for OS X.

At that time I seem to remember the Apple original install disk had to be present for installation to be permitted. Do you have the original Apple-branded OS X install disk?

I seem to remember that a previous-version serial number was needed for a full retail upgrade.

All this is from memory so I may be a bit rusty remembering what exactly we had to do all those years ago - part of the reason FCP 4 was introduced with just a simple S/N install procedure was that lots of people had difficulties with the complexity of the FCP 3 install security.

Return to posts index

Dave Bishop
on May 15, 2011 at 7:59:53 am

Thanks for the reply, Paul Dickin.
I am becoming lost in all this OS and FCP stuff.

All I really want is to know I suppose is which version of FCP I can use on my PowerMac G5(Dual-Core 2.5Ghz NON-INTEL processors) with currently OS 10.3.7 Panther. I had loaded OS 10.4 Tiger but was advised that FCP version 3 will not run on OS 10.4 and that OS 10.3 Panther is the last version that will accommodate FCP 3.

Is there ANYONE out there who has a PowerMac G5 with OS 10.3 Panther or OS 10.4 Tiger and is using any version of FCP? Please help me save my sanity!! Help me set up this old Mac. It is my first Mac and I am getting to the point where I will have to go back to my pc.

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
on May 15, 2011 at 3:57:40 pm

from Apple support archives:
Final Cut Pro 4.5 HD and earlier not supported on Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) or iMac G5 (iSight)
Last Modified: December 04, 2009
Article: TA23645
Old Article: 302667

This article has been archived and is no longer updated by Apple.
Products Affected
Final Cut Pro, Power Mac G5, iMac
Final Cut Pro 4 through Final Cut Pro HD 4.5 require a computer with an AGP video card for installation. PowerMac G5 (Late 2005) models (released October 19, 2005) and iMac G5 (iSight) models feature newer PCI Express video cards. Because of this, you can't install Final Cut Pro 4.x on these computers. Final Cut Pro 4.x is not supported on these computers.

Final Cut Pro 3.x and earlier do not work in Max OS X 10.4 Tiger. Because Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) and iMac G5 (iSight) models require Mac OS X 10.4.2 or later, you can't install Final Cut Pro 3.x or earlier versions on these computers. Final Cut Pro 3.x and earlier versions are not supported on any computer running Mac OS X 10.4.

To use Final Cut Pro on Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) or iMac G5 (iSight) computers, please upgrade to Final Cut Studio.

Find more information about Final Cut Studio.

Good luck.

Russ

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 15, 2011 at 4:10:06 pm

You can use up to version 6.x of FCP ( included in Final Cut Studio 2) in your machine.
You can use up to OSX Leopard (not Snow Leopard) on your machine.

My previous computer was a dual 2.0 G5, and I was running Leopard and FInal Cut Studio 2 on it. My computer was older and slower than yours. I would configure the same on your machine. Trying to figure out the older version combinations is an incredible pain. FCP version 6.x is solid and pretty close in features to the current version.

You must realize that the last G5 tower was sold 6 years ago and most people who edit professioally have moved on to Intel. Our memories might be a little fuzzy about specific OS/FCP versions. There have been many updates over the years and they kind of blend together.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 16, 2011 at 4:53:43 pm

Hold on a second, let's compare Apples to Apples.

There is Final Cut Pro which is an editing application, and there is Final Cut Suite which is a whole bunch of applications bundled together, one of which is Final Cut Pro, but it also has Compressor, Motion, Color, Sound Track Pro, and DVD Studio Pro.

Make sense? You probably bought Final Cut Suite 3, not Final Cut Pro 3. This is an important detail.

I recall the serial number being a couple of stickers, tiny stickers, in with the packaging. You're supposed to peel the sticker and place it somewhere safe.

Return to posts index

Dave Bishop
on May 17, 2011 at 3:27:33 pm

Just to clarify. My PowerMac G5 is a tower. It has Dual-Core 2.5Ghz NON-Intel processors. The Os is either 10.3 Panther or 10.4 Tiger (I have both).

I bought Final Cut Pro 3, the video editing application. It is an Academic version, so I understood that it is not possible to upgrade it. That was OK because I wanted to learn how it worked; if I got on well with it, I would eventually upgrade to an Intel machine and buy new Final Cut Pro.

As usual, and I very much thank everyone for replying, but check the replies - the opinions are so far apart from each other that I am as confused now as when I originally asked the question! I still do not know what OS version I must have to run the software and no idea which FCP version will actually run on my machine. Back to square one!!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 17, 2011 at 4:09:49 pm

[Dave Bishop] "My PowerMac G5 is a tower. It has Dual-Core 2.5Ghz NON-Intel processors."

You cannot install or run FCS3 on non-Intel machines. That is all...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on May 17, 2011 at 4:28:16 pm

????? I ran FCP 3 on a G4 and on a G5. There was an OS X upgrade you had to have to run it in X. In fact FCP 3.0.2 on OS 9 was wonderfully stable. I wrote my book on the G5 starting with FCP 3... finished in FCP 4 on the same machine. The only intel only versions appeared with FCP 6... and Studio 2.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 17, 2011 at 4:27:24 pm

Jerry,

I think he means FCS3, not FCP3, but I could be mistaken.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on May 17, 2011 at 5:09:22 pm

AH! Got it! I'm not sure what he's got...?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]