FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why this X pro is reluctant to buy Final Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Heckman
Why this X pro is reluctant to buy Final Cut
on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:17:45 pm

I switched from earning my living in the broadcasting industry to enterprise web development about ten years ago because opportunity knocked. But I've continued to produce and edit for nonprofit organizations over the years, purely for the joy of it.

For me, Final Cut 7 was a godsend. It allowed me to do things I never would have thought possible. And one of the great things about it was that I could collaborate with the REAL pros: I could send my audio off to by bud the ProTools guru for sweetening. Occasionally, my job got in the way of finishing a project. That was never a problem, since I could just make an XML and a media library-- and send it off to one of my Avid or Premiere friends. The biggest problem was buying them enough beer to pursued them to help out some very worthy causes.

In all of the flame throwing I see on this forum and elsewhere, I think that the value of workflow and the ability to collaborate seem to be lost on many. Final Cut X may be the coolest thing on the planet, and it may make my modest nonprofit fundraising videos a breeze to edit. But I'm in no mood to pony up $300 to find out sight unseen. I'd rather pay double for Premiere. At least I know (from my free trial) that I can continue to share with others. And I know that it does everything I used to use Final Cut 7 to do-- and quite a few things better.

If Apple is so confident that FCP X is "revolutionary" and that people will love it, I wonder why they don't offer some sort of a trial version. Or at least a limited refund window. I know I'd enjoy playing with it. But pay for uncertainty and the inability to collaborate? No thanks.

Return to posts index

Scott Bellefeuille
Re: Why this X pro is reluctant to buy Final Cut
on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:40:45 pm

"I'd rather pay double for Premiere..."

Actually you don't have to :-) The Adobe Switch Promotion is still going on and you can get Premiere Pro CS5.5 for 50% off which means $350-$399 depending on where you buy. Or get the whole suite with After Effects, Photoshop, Audition, Flash, Illustrator for about $850. It's pretty much too good to pass up!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]