FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX is 64-bit, but how about Quicktime?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave LaRonde
FCPX is 64-bit, but how about Quicktime?
on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:33:33 pm

Here's something that I simply do not know: with the introduction of FCPX, is QT now 100% 64-bit?

QT's been running in 64-bit environments for quite some time; you'd think the answer would be, "yes, of course". However, even in a 64-bit OS, there were still key components in the code that remained 32-bit; I forget what they're called.

Are these key components now 64-bit as well in FCP X?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: FCPX is 64-bit, but how about Quicktime?
on Aug 24, 2011 at 4:11:16 pm

Yes they are, and that QT being 64 bit or not wouldn't matter. FCP X is based on core video, not QT anymore... That's a good thing too! No more gamma shifts during recompression etc.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Aug 25, 2011 at 4:56:42 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "QT's been running in 64-bit environments for quite some time; you'd think the answer would be, "yes, of course". However, even in a 64-bit OS, there were still key components in the code that remained 32-bit; I forget what they're called.

Are these key components now 64-bit as well in FCP X?"

QuickTime's legacy API is 32 bit, as are most of the legacy codecs. Apple false-started a 64 bit QT framework with the QTKit framework a few years ago, but has since abandoned that in favor of AVFoundation, which is a superset of CoreAudio, CoreVideo, CoreMedia, and CoreAnimation. FCPX is based on these modern media frameworks and not on the legacy 32 bit QuickTime.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 25, 2011 at 5:31:48 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

That's just great -- now everybody can worry that Apple will EOL Quicktime out of the blue.

Get your updates to QT 7 Pro while you can, I guess. It's either that or kiss 25 years of accumulated video goodbye. I wonder how the people at Artbeats might cover their pretty pink posteriors....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 25, 2011 at 5:52:24 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "That's just great -- now everybody can worry that Apple will EOL Quicktime out of the blue. Get your updates to QT 7 Pro while you can, I guess. It's either that or kiss 25 years of accumulated video goodbye. I wonder how the people at Artbeats might cover their pretty pink posteriors...."

"QuickTime" refers to a lot of different things. It's a programmer's toolkit for accessing, manipulating, and writing media; it's a container format; it's an application.

Even if the APIs go away, the QuickTime file format itself was adopted in 1998 as the basis for the MPEG-4 file format, so the container format itself isn't proprietary.

If you have older QuickTime video with proprietary, legacy codecs, those may be at risk soon (if they're not already) -- but I don't think there's any cause to panic yet for more modern codecs like H.264, or more open codecs like Photo JPEG (which Artbeats uses).

That said, Dave, this seems like a good time to point out that I'm the AE forum's resident image sequence guy... and weren't there some rumblings about Disney working on an open-source container format? I've tried to corroborate that rumor, but I can't find any articles referring to it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 25, 2011 at 6:12:15 pm

[Walter Soyka] "....weren't there some rumblings about Disney working on an open-source container format? I've tried to corroborate that rumor, but I can't find any articles referring to it."

I haven't either since the topic was broached. Perhaps reaching the Holy Grail of a universally-accessible media container is proving a little problematic.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Aug 25, 2011 at 8:00:56 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "That's just great -- now everybody can worry that Apple will EOL Quicktime out of the blue.

Get your updates to QT 7 Pro while you can, I guess. It's either that or kiss 25 years of accumulated video goodbye. I wonder how the people at Artbeats might cover their pretty pink posteriors....
"

There's no "out of the blue" about it, Apple deprecated the old APIs years ago and still supports them today in Lion. By definition deprecation means developers need to start cleaning calls to those obsolete APIs out of their code because eventually support will be dropped in some future major rev to OS X. If third party developers don't heed half a decade's worth of warnings about updating the APIs their software depends on, that's gotta be on them.

QT7 Pro will probably not work on some future version of OS X. It depends on deprecated QuickTime frameworks to function. When those deprecated APIs are dropped from support, the app will cease to work, much like PPC apps cease to work without Rosetta support in OS X Lion.

Codecs exist one level down from AVFoundation in CoreMedia. The codec support in CoreMedia looks pretty broad by default. I see support for all the QT7 Pro export codecs there, including JPEG for Artbeats. In other words, unless you have them encoded in a very esoteric old third party codec, your 25 years of MOVs will be playable post-QuickTime.

Honestly, I think the idea that Apple is building in support for broadcast video codecs and containers in a low level operating system framework is pretty remarkable. Plus there is a system-wide API for Device Abstraction now, which is going to be nice for the guys at AJA, BM, and Matrox.

Basically, as of OS X Lion, QuickTime has been completely replaced as far as developers should be concerned. This is the cost of moving everything in OS X to 64 bit space.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 25, 2011 at 8:10:07 pm

That's nice. Now tell me about QT7 for Windows....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Aug 25, 2011 at 8:14:30 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Now tell me about QT7 for Windows...."

Apple is going to have to keep supporting QT for Windows as long as they want to have iTunes for Windows, so I think you're safe there. They just published QT 7.7 for Windows and Leopard earlier this month.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 25, 2011 at 8:21:41 pm

Thanks!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 25, 2011 at 5:31:32 pm

[Andrew Richards] "QuickTime's legacy API is 32 bit, as are most of the legacy codecs. Apple false-started a 64 bit QT framework with the QTKit framework a few years ago, but has since abandoned that in favor of AVFoundation, which is a superset of CoreAudio, CoreVideo, CoreMedia, and CoreAnimation. FCPX is based on these modern media frameworks and not on the legacy 32 bit QuickTime."

And between QuickTime and Carbon, we can only imagine how thrilling this 32- to 64-bit roller coaster ride has been for major third-party developers...

That said, I'm with Jerry. Color space and gamma management in QuickTime seems to have been incredibly fragile.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]