FORUMS: list search recent posts

LLoyd Chambers reviews Mac OS Lion - shades of FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lawrence
LLoyd Chambers reviews Mac OS Lion - shades of FCPX
on Aug 23, 2011 at 7:59:52 pm

Lloyd Chambers is an advanced professional photographer and expert on high-end mac optimization. His web site is an outstanding resource with tons of free articles including a comprehensive guide to getting the most from your mac.

I read his recent review of Mac OS Lion and was struck by the language he uses to describe its shortcomings.

http://macperformanceguide.com/LionHairballs.html

Here are just two quotes:

I can’t recall ever seeing a Mac OS release with such sloppy and inconsidered work...
Apple has take up a dangerous trend for professionals, driven by the iPhone and iPad world: a tendency to oversimplify the user interface, to remove command-key shortcuts, to force multi-step efforts for what used to be a single step...

It's uncanny how much his language throughout the review describes FCPX's QA issues.

I really wonder sometimes what's gotten into the water in Cupertino. Especially concerning is that last paragraph on page one (quoted above). I've been using Apple computers exclusively since my first computer, an Apple //e. This is the first time I've ever questioned if that will still be true in the future.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Paul Escamilla
Re: LLoyd Chambers reviews Mac OS Lion - shades of FCPX
on Aug 23, 2011 at 8:34:13 pm

for the first time in my life, i'm contemplating the purchase of a PC as my home computer. never thought i'd see this day. well, actually, i knew Jobs couldn't last forever, so I did know that at some point Apple would lose its way again.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 23, 2011 at 8:45:07 pm

Maybe you will enjoy this language:

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Aug 23, 2011 at 11:41:33 pm

Okay, that was the funniest F'ing thing I've ever seen. I'm still wiping the energy drink off my monitors.

Chris

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
on Aug 24, 2011 at 12:59:56 am

The guy in that video is just like my boss; he rants and raves about how bad both Mac and PC software behaves. He calls software developers "Ferrari Drivers" because they get paid so much to do 'near working products' and they can't wait to finish work so they can drive their Ferrari's around.

Some of his great quotes are "If Steve Jobs wrote the software that put man on the moon they would still be there!" and . . . "if Bill Gates made cars there would be carnage on the roads".

But I do wonder why computer software can be sold as a product with so many faults. I can't think of any other product that would fit into that category.

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:32:39 am

I think that guy needs to get out a little.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:56:59 am

I have been running Linux (Ubuntu or Mint) for the last two years. So much better than Windows and in many ways better than Mac OS which is also just a Unix variant. Unlike a Mac I can read write to NTFS and Mac formatted external disks without third party software. So much good free software gives me some really powerful tools for dealing with video and audio codecs and formats.

Web browsing etc is simple and safe. It is fast and efficient even on older PC hardware. In short it gives me a better OS on a cheaper hardware platform and it is all free. Hard to beat really.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 24, 2011 at 5:25:41 am

Well, except for the fact that I can't do any work under Linux...

Return to posts index

Gerald Baria
on Aug 24, 2011 at 5:38:49 am

Autocad?

Quobetah
New=Better

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 24, 2011 at 12:00:05 pm

Nice.

I've never touched Autocad.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 24, 2011 at 6:18:51 am

My comments were about Paul saying he was considering a PC for his home. I use Linux for office and interfacing drives to the network. I also have my MacPro for FCP and WIn machines for Fairlight. The linux box helps to link all together.

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:18:01 pm

[David Lawrence] "Apple has take up a dangerous trend for professionals, driven by the iPhone and iPad world: a tendency to oversimplify the user interface, to remove command-key shortcuts, to force multi-step efforts for what used to be a single step...
"

Hmmmm.....to me it is the contrary. FCPX has a lot of single-steps that have been multi-steps.
That is definitely Not the problem of FCPX, the prpble, is some steps are not possible at all, but those paths that are open are better than in FCPX (but that's my 2 cents and i know 90% here disagree)

So maybe he found some stuff in Lion and maybe you find some in FCPX, but you would find it also when switching to Windows7 or any other NLE that some steps are different. It is the choice of the software designers and if they would leave everything as it was...there would be no upgrade.

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Aug 24, 2011 at 10:59:59 pm

Doing a dissolve on an audio track has certainly become more complicated.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/10042

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Aug 25, 2011 at 7:21:06 am

[alban egger] "FCPX has a lot of single-steps that have been multi-steps.
That is definitely Not the problem of FCPX, the prpble, is some steps are not possible at all, but those paths that are open are better than in FCPX (but that's my 2 cents and i know 90% here disagree)"

Alban, I've enjoyed reading your megatest blog and appreciate your reporting on both the pluses and minuses you've experienced. Real-world benchmarks like yours are valuable in helping us understand what FCPX is and is not good for.

I'm curious about what specific things you've found in FCPX to be single steps that were multiple steps before. My experience has been exactly the opposite so obviously we work differently.

[alban egger] "you would find it also when switching to Windows7 or any other NLE that some steps are different."

This is true and it's a big reason why I'm so disappointed with what Apple has done to FCP. If I have to retrain, I'm going to retrain on a system that is industry standard and supports universal workflows.

[alban egger] " It is the choice of the software designers and if they would leave everything as it was...there would be no upgrade."

Have to disagree here. They could have left the UI as is and built on top of a new 64-bit metadata-based engine. They could have added new UI features to the old. Lots of ways they could have gone that would have added new power without sacrificing flexibility and alienating a majority of their user base.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Aug 25, 2011 at 7:54:18 pm

[David Lawrence] "I'm curious about what specific things you've found in FCPX to be single steps that were multiple steps before. My experience has been exactly the opposite so obviously we work differently.
"

David, I gave several lists here already and funnily hardly ever get arguments back.
Someone in a TV studio asked me this the other day and I felt several pairs of eyes on me and I had to shoot quick...so here was my answer:
1. Skimming....no click at all, while in FCP7 and other NLEs I need to doubleclick constantly to watch things.
2. Trim-Start / Trim-End...they are not new, I know them from Edius, but missed them in FCP7...they save hours and allow me to sell my Edius PC (because I kept it to do quick roughcuts on sportsevents just because of thiese two shortcuts)
3. J-cut/L-cut

There are many more "tools" in FCPX that make life easier and work moving faster, but these 3 off the top of my head came out quickest, so I give you the same three.

I know there are also things slower now or not working at all....or definitely not as expected, like audio-transitions etc, but the general feel of the program FOR ME is faster, easier, straightforward.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]