FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to recover a Project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Mont
How to recover a Project
on Aug 23, 2011 at 1:59:07 am

I accidentally edited a project that I was not supposed to. Actually when I started FCP X application by default it opened a different project and since the footage was the same I edited it by mistake. Is there a way to go back to a previous version?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: How to recover a Project
on Aug 23, 2011 at 12:13:12 pm

Welcome to one of the pleasures of X. The short answer is NO. If you saved your projects on a volume backed by Time Machine, then you might be able to recover the earlier version. In theory Lion's "versions" might be the future answer to this.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Ray Wang
on Aug 23, 2011 at 7:11:22 pm

To expand on the pain of this auto-save function:

If FCP X crashes, I find that sometimes I loose some of my edits.

After re-launching FCP X, it is a painful process to search what edits were saved and what edits were lost. I find that the stuff that got lost may not follow your edit timeline - meaning that you may lost a text at earlier point but kept the re-timing changes at later edit point.

With FCP 7, I save at logical points and if FCP 7 was to crash, I know where to start and it would be a "clean" save point.

---
Ray

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 23, 2011 at 7:22:18 pm

[Ray Wang] "If FCP X crashes, I find that sometimes I loose some of my edits."

And if you really want to see scary, sometimes FCP X simply quits saving. The clue to this seems to be that when you lose the "undo" command it has also quit saving. Of course, you won't know how far back this started to happen and there is no way to manually save and relaunch. So everything from that point forward has been lost.

Presumably that's a beta (oops, I mean 1.0) issue.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Ray Wang
on Aug 23, 2011 at 9:21:22 pm

The auto save function was suitable for iMovie because iMovie has a limited set of features and do not require rendering.
Therefore:
a) rarely crashes
b) on crash, not likely to loose edits
c) even losing edits, storyline is simple so it is a minor annoyance to redo

Either give us the control of manual save or make sure the auto save never looses edits!

I actually like FCP X but I think Apple should have released this as beta without charge.

---
Ray

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]