FORUMS: list search recent posts

A thought just occured to me ...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
A thought just occured to me ...
on Aug 22, 2011 at 9:35:15 pm

Many on this thread have stated that Apple's migration path for users was to have them run FCP7 and FCPX on the same box until X came up to speed. Alban Eggar has posted about his workflow using FCP7 as a finishing tool for X when it comes to outputting files to OMF. I know there are similar tips on the Techniques forum.

This is all well and good for those of us who already have FCP7 - but what about newbies looking to get into broadcast. If Apple really wanted to use FCP7 as a temporary helper, why did they stop selling it. As it is now, while it is us older whiner types doing the complaining it is really the inexperienced users who are getting hosed. They have no options at all. For a new user FCPX is absolutely locked into a youtube or nothing scenario, unless and until various I/O upgrades arrive.

Just a thought as I leave for the night.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
Re: A thought just occured to me ...
on Aug 22, 2011 at 9:49:25 pm

Perhaps Steve has secretly invested heavily in Adobe and Avid as his final score?

If so, kudos... well played, sir. Not only will you have the funds to buy an entire third world nation, Apple will finally leave you alone to enjoy it! Brilliant.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Aug 23, 2011 at 12:56:01 am

[Herb Sevush] "newbies looking to get into broadcast..."

What a sweet idea. I think most newbies would be shocked to see how 1990's most broadcast stations are.

I say if they're not selling it anymore, why not give it away with the full price of FCX? I gotta think they'd sell a whole lot more copies of X, and satisfy people looking to add seats to their production houses.

If I were a student, I'd jump at that. A whole lot of the past, and potentially the future.

I've been using 7 to get media in and out of HDcam tape, which is what we shoot and master on. It's been a process to get split audio out, but not impossible. After a rocky start, there's much of the beast that's quite fun.

And it's not youtube or nothing. Our AJA card has an input/output utility, as I expect many cards do, to get the footage in and out to tape.

I don't understand the strategy of taking 7 off the market, but I don't want to start another rant-fest.

---------
I'm calling it FCX. They took the "pro" out, so I will too.
I'll reconsider after the first upgrade.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
blogging at http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 23, 2011 at 4:11:40 pm

[Herb Sevush] " If Apple really wanted to use FCP7 as a temporary helper, why did they stop selling it."

[Mark Morache] "if they're not selling it anymore, why not give it away with the full price of FCX?"

These are good questions. I doubt Apple will tell us the answer.
I can't help but think there was a licensing issue of some sort (one they didn't want to renew) which lead to the sudden removal of FCP7.
Again I try to analyze these from the business point of view and I can't come to any other conclusions. The other possibilities just don't make business sense. Removing FCP7 certainly can't encourage a forced migration to FCPX since, I believe, Apple is aware that it's not an adequate replacement at this time. That Apple apparently mentioned licensing and that they had to "investigate" allowing the sale of additional FCP7 seats seems to indicate this as well.

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Aug 23, 2011 at 8:14:25 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I can't help but think there was a licensing issue of some sort (one they didn't want to renew) which lead to the sudden removal of FCP7."

Now that really could be it.

-------------
David A Fenton
-------------

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Aug 23, 2011 at 11:07:53 pm

I think FCPX would still be an "alright" tool for newbies trying to learn video editing. If they wanted a little more control they could go the Premiere route, and ultimately if they want to work in the high-end broadcast sector there will always be Avid.

We just hired a new editor at my studio, almost fresh out of school and he tells us that Premiere is the new cool kid on the block. They seem to think that CS6 is gunning to be an "avid killer" and Final Cut, while currently still important, is not really a part of the future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]