FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 months later.... still nothing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marvin Holdman
2 months later.... still nothing?
on Aug 22, 2011 at 7:32:25 pm

OK, it's been 2 months. I don't read this forum as much, but still wonder if FCPX might be something one day? And when that day might be?

Checking back on it TODAY, two months after the release, I notice that nothing from the FAQ has been completed or revised. No updates have been released. Very few third party plug-ins are available and as far as I can see, the API's still have not been widely released. I don't really put much credence in the speculation of anyone outside of Apple. The only facts pertinent to me are the ones that can be stated unequivocally. Just because arcane lines of code have been "discovered" in the package, doesn't translate to any viable features right now.

It would seem that FCPX will be dysfunctional for at least several more months. Sure, their probably will be the odd feature release trickling through in the next 3-4 months, but I really don't see the bulk of the items mentioned in the "FAQ" being resolved in less than the next 6 months, based on the current level of action (or in this case, inaction).

I know there are those who are advocating jumping on the FCPX bandwagon now so as to be ready when it's "up to task", but I really have to wonder if that isn't a waste of time? I'm a pretty quick study on applications (working in PPro in about a week) so why wouldn't I just wait until the software is at least somewhat functional before I start spending ANY time with it?

So, basically I am asking....

Just how useful is learning this package at this point? Other than the ability to argue for future viability?

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: 2 months later.... still nothing?
on Aug 22, 2011 at 7:55:11 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "OK, it's been 2 months. I don't read this forum as much, but still wonder if FCPX might be something one day? And when that day might be?"

Apple has already said (yes they said) "summer" for the first update and that gives them until the equinox in September.

Maybe you're expecting before then but it's not based on anything they said... which is summer.

Programing can take some time. There's no "put it in the oven 15 minutes" and it's done. If they run into problems, things take longer. This is why developers don't like to give dates... or what happens on a given date is incomplete. Sometimes they're far enough along where they can give a good estimate though but FCPX was a program released where the APIs weren't even finished.

[Marvin Holdman] " know there are those who are advocating jumping on the FCPX bandwagon now so as to be ready when it's "up to task", but I really have to wonder if that isn't a waste of time? I'm a pretty quick study on applications (working in PPro in about a week) so why wouldn't I just wait until the software is at least somewhat functional before I start spending ANY time with it?"

Mainly FCPX is very different than other NLEs. With most NLEs it's like moving from one town to another and learning the new accent and new slang. With FCPX it's closer to learning a new language.

As to whether it's worth it to you that's a personal question but it's a very different NLE. At $300 it's a much smaller investment so it's not as big a capital risk to buy one copy and play with it as it would be for some other NLEs.

For me, there have already been a couple of jobs I've done with it that would have taken me longer to do in FCP7 and possibly other NLEs. For $300 even if it's a "one trick" plugin, if it happens to be the right "plugin" for a specific job, it's worth it. For me, for a few jobs being able to import AVCHD and H.264 .mp4 without transcode (not even background to ProRes) is a major speed enhancement that help me on a couple of things. In fact those kinds of jobs are very good for learning FCPX with.

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Aug 22, 2011 at 8:42:58 pm

Craig,
are we in agreement that FCPX has nothing to do with pro application? Sorry I wasn't paying that much attention to this forum lately. Is that something we at last can agree upon and move on? I like when you call it "one trick plugin". It is proper denomination.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 22, 2011 at 9:02:21 pm

I feel inclined to stick up for his contention - as a one trick pony the 300 you shell out beats pluraleyes alone, nevermind the h264 native.

(although needing to know the matching audio master clip somewhat hobbles it in comparison to the - dump twenty 5D clips and twenty wavs in a bucket and sort it out - nature of pluraleyes. that distinction is being largely glossed over by the interested parties.)

still - for 299, you could argue that it has some very decent engine parts to be stripped out.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 22, 2011 at 10:00:47 pm

[Everest Mokaeff] "I like when you call it "one trick plugin". It is proper denomination."

Just that I believe it will get better. The feature set will expand. Right now it's limited and I wouldn't claim otherwise. Basically it can be used for entirely self contained projects and it excels and AVCHD sources. I like the keyword collection and connected clip/secondary storyline concept. It certainly needs a lot more than that. I suspect that will happen given Apple's comments and what I think are their business objectives. I think it'll eventually be a powerhouse. Not today but eventually.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Aug 22, 2011 at 9:16:46 pm

While it is true they have until Equinox in September as a literal definition of the "end of summer" I still wonder why they would not offer something in the meantime? But, of course, that is purely speculation on the lack of action. I suppose I would like to believe that they have heard the very loud outcry from a formally loyal segment of users and would respond with more than just a "we'll get too it" (FAQ). That aside, why would they be so elusive regarding API's? Again, speculation on the motivations, but I will confess that I have a hard time interpreting this lack of action as anything other than, "It's not important to us".

Regarding the cost of the software...

While it is true, the cash expense is low for acquiring the software, the real expense is "moving from one town to another", as you put it. I will agree with you that it is a VERY different approach. But frankly, in the time I HAVE spent with it, I think the time I put into iMovie, iPhoto and GarageBand has been MUCH more beneficial in understanding FCPX. I sincerely don't mean that in a snarky way, only a statement of how I perceive it to function. While all of these programs are fine, for what they do, I couldn't seriously rely on them to provide the versatility that I need in a daily use tool. I do understand their approach to handling data and timelines. I understand their simplistic appeal and have used these tools to produce elements which were later used in other editing systems.

My problem with them (and FCPX) is this simplistic approach tends to create cliche media. The majority of people using these products seldom venture beyond the presets and templates. In my opinion (and it is ONLY that) FCPX is chock full of preset effects that try to be a one-button solution for any given problem. This will certainly speed up a production, and the effects and templates may be way cool... the first 20 times they are used, but after a point, they are not very cool at all, they are amateurish.

As for AVCHD.... great format, if that's what you need. I'm sure it does wonderful things with a host of other consumer formats as well. Nothing wrong with them except I'm not getting paid to used AVCHD. I'd be much more impressed if it would do XDCAM native. H264 is OK as well, but I frankly haven't really had any problems with that one in most any other NLE, so I'm not sure of your point.

I do appreciate your advice on the matter, and discussion. You are one of the more pleasant folks that I completely disagree with. As you yourself state, "there have already been a couple of jobs I've done with it" I wonder whether you've only done a couple of jobs? or if you've only chosen FCPX to do a couple of jobs and done the rest on some other NLE package?

It's still hard for me to justify beginning the "move to another town" based on promises and inaction. As long as there are resources like this, I would have to believe that I can figure it out once a few more folks are living in that "new town". At this point, there only seems to be a subdivision with a few model homes that no one is really living in. Strange, sounds like several places around my neighborhood in Florida... after a series of sloppy business decisions by an arrogant real estate industry.

Sorry, couldn't resist another bad analogy, but history does seem to repeat itself.

I know it seems I've already made up my mind on it. Frankly, I was expecting you're "come on in, the water's fine" answer, but I was hoping to hear from some of the more pragmatic posters. No offense, but you seem to have a very narrow viewpoint on the matter. I was hoping to hear from others, who are still in the "wait and see" mode as to when they think this might be a viable, useful product?

You can't honestly say it's ready to depend on as a daily use tool. I've heard you say that, more than once. I still wonder how much time is it worth devoting to this "new-think" that is still not a complete language, and more than that, when it would be worth spending more time with it?

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Aug 22, 2011 at 10:56:19 pm

[Craig Seeman] "With FCPX it's closer to learning a new language."

Actually I think it's like learning how to walk on your hands with jet engines strapped to them.

Like the skimmer, it's fast, but it often gets away from me. Very often.

Overall, I can't say that my editing is going any faster. All the audio work I need to double-click to get into is slowing me down. When it works, I think it's rather fun.

If Apple is committed to the pro, then I'm committed to Apple.

[Craig Seeman] "and that gives them until the equinox in September."

Technically perhaps, but for me the summer is over when school starts, and I'm running out of patience. I've drunk the kool-aid, and I've edited several full-blown pieces for our show, so I'm on for the ride, but I'm tired of all the mind-reading that's going on here.
Same thing over and over, blah blah blah, I'm not a hater, blah blah blah.

---------
I'm calling it FCX. They took the "pro" out, so I will too.
I'll reconsider after the first upgrade.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
blogging at http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Aug 23, 2011 at 12:32:49 pm

I'm kind of in Marvin's camp; checking out the post to see when it might be a good time (if ever) to transition to X. The $299 price tag isn't the meaningful price of the software, it's the time that it will take to get up to real world speed with X. I keep reading the post to help me decipher the tools that are missing from the bugs that you would often find in a 1.0 program. I started my transition from Avid to FC at ver 1.5 but really didn't commit to the software till around FC 3 or 4. That was several years later. Is that a reasonable time-line to expect for X? Who knows; and Apple's is vague at best about what and when they will be doing things.

However, the predominance of posts (in the Cow and elsewhere) seem to indicate X has possibilities, but it's probably not time yet to jump in with two feet.

I've got X, and I'm poking at it with a long stick, but until I get some indication that its features and work-flow will be worth the time and effort to change over, I'll be on the sidelines.

Thanks to everyone who is software frontering X, this whole situation is trying at best, and I appreciate your collective efforts.

Cheers,

Jim

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Aug 23, 2011 at 3:52:12 pm

"I've got X, and I'm poking at it with a long stick, but until I get some indication that its features and work-flow will be worth the time and effort to change over, I'll be on the sidelines."

very true. The same with me. I've ordered PP5.5 mostly because of Photoshop and After effects. If nothing happens with FCPX within the next 12 months I swap over to premiere first. Lets see whether I will get smoke. The Adobe production package is a bargain for 1000 bucks.

Rainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]