FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP-X Ken Burns Button...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Houllahan
FCP-X Ken Burns Button...
on Aug 22, 2011 at 6:55:47 pm

I usually post on the DaVinci forum but I edit too..

Went to the Apple store while waiting for my Girlfriend to go buy some clothes... wanted to take a look at X-FCP...

And then there it was.... X-FCP literally has a button titled "Ken Burns" it is really there and i could not figure out how to adjust parameters it just did an "Auto Ken Burns" on the selected clip.

I almost puked on the 17" macbook Pro I was looking at..

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: FCP-X Ken Burns Button...
on Aug 22, 2011 at 7:06:16 pm

[Robert Houllahan] "FCP literally has a button titled "Ken Burns" "

You should try the Martin Scorsese button when you get the chance.

[Robert Houllahan] "Went to the Apple store while waiting for my Girlfriend to go buy some clothes."

Girlfriend buying cloths in an Apple store...now that's what I call "fanboy/girlism" (yes I get what you meant. just poking fun).

[Robert Houllahan] "it just did an "Auto Ken Burns" on the selected clip.

I almost puked on the 17" macbook Pro I was looking at.."

Hmm, motion control cameras never made me that sick.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Aug 22, 2011 at 7:16:39 pm

It's bad enough that people call this "the Ken Burns effect" as if filmmakers had not been doing it for decades before Mr. Burns was even an a gleam in his father's eyes, but if there really is a button labelled Ken Burns effect in FCP X it goes more than a little bit further down the road toward confirming my worst fears.

bigpine

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 22, 2011 at 7:42:07 pm

erm, I usually froth at the mouth on any given topic, but I think I'm ok with this? If I was hard pressed editor chappie zooming in and out of civil war photos while the narrator drones on, I might be ok with the provision of this option? its pretty much akin to applying a motion behaviour... sort of, although I might like the ability to collapse it from its script to generated position scale keyframes to tweak or something. Or I could just build my own transforms as one usually does.

that said, spontaneously vomiting en masse on apple hardware in store as a flashmob, before running out screaming "FCP is dead!!" might be a nice way of sending a message to cupertino.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 22, 2011 at 8:03:07 pm

The "Ken Burns" button is actually one of the effects that's poorly done in FCPX IMHO. If the idea is to emulate a motion control camera, it does a horrible job. I don't think it can do half the stuff Ken Burns does. If you're old enough to have used a good motion control camera, you know that you can create some very complex moves with multiple key frames and fine control over ease in and ease out over each.

I don't mind that they call the button "Ken Burns" but if they're going to do that, make it worthy of the stuff Ken Burns and other Motion Control Camera experts can do.

Make the Ken Burns button as sophisticated as a good motion control camera and make it worthy of the name which I wouldn't mind under those circumstances.

I'm so happy they don't have a Philip Glass button in the audio tools. It would probably just be an arpeggiator.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 22, 2011 at 8:11:23 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I'm so happy they don't have a Philip Glass button in the audio tools. It would probably just be an arpeggiator.
"

ROTFL

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 22, 2011 at 8:23:42 pm

yes, he said, scrabbling for google... I.. do like me a good arpeggiator I do.

You posted on music stuff before way back - you really do rather know that stuff don't you?

[Craig Seeman] "
Make the Ken Burns button as sophisticated as a good motion control camera and make it worthy of the name which I wouldn't mind under those circumstances.
"

indeed, although well this is weird where we find ourselves placed on the argument...
connected clips say - much of the metaphor of the timeline drives me nuts as a restrictive conceptual shortcut... but well, then look at me saying ken burns could be ok. It's because the ken burns is peripheral to my concerns or something. I think its broadly ok.
It's control - this whole thing comes back to control doesn't it? it threads through the entirety of this dispute I rather think, he said, shifting his arse on the FCPX debate left side stool...

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 22, 2011 at 8:28:47 pm

You just ain't using it right. Ken Burns--or rather a relevant chunk of a cloned Ken Burn's Cerebral Cortex--is actually built into every Mac with T-bolt. You need to make sure the keyboard mic is on, that you are standing directly in front of the computer's camera, and then talk to him, adding clear, broad gestures as you speak. "Ken, a little to the left, hesitate without a full stop, and now, IN!"

You will be amazed at how well it works. Thing is, it takes about 20 min. for the speech/motion recognition to kick in. So, just go to the store, pick an iMac and keep talking to it. Call it "Ken" numerous times. It really likes that. Be very fluid and BIG with your gestures. Imagine the most gregarious symphony conductor, and then, take it up a notch. I think, after twenty minutes of doing this at the Apple Store, you will be shocked by the response you receive.

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
on Aug 22, 2011 at 9:20:57 pm

I love this! Another tip I missed because I just didn't read the manual.

Chris, I'm going to try tomorrow, after I finish my all-night edit. I'll go directly to the Apple store in my edit attire, dirty raincoat and house slippers. Will let you all know how it goes, or more likely, my bail bondsman posting on my behalf.

Chris Walsh

http://www.musicfog.com
Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5
Former Windows User and edit* lover

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Aug 22, 2011 at 10:13:19 pm

Has anyone tried the Alfred Hitchcock button yet?

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 22, 2011 at 10:40:51 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "Has anyone tried the Alfred Hitchcock button yet?"

The one that makes the movie like "Rope?"

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Aug 22, 2011 at 11:08:06 pm

Yeah...Just like Rope - if you shoot it right, you don't even need the button.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 22, 2011 at 10:27:42 pm

Great! Let us know just before you go so that we can get a camera down there. I think it will make a superb tutorial.

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Aug 22, 2011 at 10:55:23 pm

I use the Stanley Kubrick button in DaVinci Resolve all the time....

I think we should invite Steve Jobs for the Hitchcock "Rope" button test...

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 22, 2011 at 11:08:05 pm

[Robert Houllahan]I use the Stanley Kubrick button in DaVinci Resolve all the time....

Meh, I prefer the Spielberg preset.

I can't wait until After Effects CS6 with the new JJ Abrams lens-flare feature.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 22, 2011 at 11:34:45 pm

At least you can get a smooth ramp out of the Ken burns.

The new FCPX still does weird things with the "smooth" option on the keyframes.

Its pretty silly and seems to be one of the true holdovers from FCP <= 7.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]