FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wouldn't it be cool? Proper editing on the go

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ewan Lim
Wouldn't it be cool? Proper editing on the go
on Aug 19, 2011 at 11:57:02 am

Editing on the go, FCX on a pimped up iPad.

Sometimes, I'll be outside and wished that I could finish up or start a simple edit. Maybe a base-cut/skeletal cut or a pitch video for a new show. Just for "simple" edits. Copy over Prores Proxy footages and edit it. (proxy to save space and act like an offline edit)

*simple meaning lay music, cuts, adjustable transitions, basic color correction, text/lower thirds and simple audio adjustments and cross fades.

And maybe after the simple edit, bring over to my mac, open up in final cut and finesse it. Or do more graphics and etc.

If only we had FCP7 on the iPad.

Ewan
Avid, FCS3, Premiere Pro, After Effects

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Wouldn't it be cool? Proper editing on the go
on Aug 19, 2011 at 3:28:54 pm

FCPX on MacBookAir complete with Thunderbolt port when he fast external storage and video i/o.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Aug 19, 2011 at 4:19:58 pm

Yes sure you can have your toy - FCPx on any handheld device you wish, by God even on an iPod if you want. As long as the rest of us cab have a professional application back again.

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Server w. X-Raid

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Aug 19, 2011 at 4:55:56 pm

An editing app is as pro as the 'pro' behind it.

Return to posts index

Ewan Lim
on Aug 19, 2011 at 5:22:14 pm

Very very true.

Just imagine currently with FCx:
Audio clean up: Having to dupe projects to export individual audio "tracks" like one project for music and sound effects and one for VO and SOT.

Color Grading: Going old school to export sequence as native raw file, i.e: ProRes. And then using another program to color grade it like how you would color grade from ingesting a Digibeta tape.

Sigh

Ewan

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 19, 2011 at 5:58:45 pm

Given what Apple has said publicly and in meetings, both those issues will be addressed. As to how well they are addressed we don't know but it's not like what you see in FCPX today is all there will be.

Return to posts index

Ewan Lim
on Aug 19, 2011 at 4:52:23 pm

I wonder if FCP7 works well on a macbook air...

Ewan

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 19, 2011 at 5:59:05 pm

[Paul Jay] "An editing app is as pro as the 'pro' behind it."
That sounds beautiful, but you haven't been sitting in front of iMovie the last few years.
The fact that I'm a pro doesn't makes of iMovie a pro application when i use it.
Crap is crap.
The fact that an application is able to put video and audio together doesn't make of it "an editing application" (you can edit a full feature film with just QT Player Pro)

The fact that we resource to cheap, non-pro solutions, it doesn't make them ideal tools.

FCPX will be a Pro app when few hundred thousand of families will get theirs incomes thanks to FCPX.
As happens now with FCP. PP, AVID..
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 19, 2011 at 6:00:22 pm

It may work but I suspect FCPX will take better advantage of things. Being able to work with AVCHD without having to convert to ProRes is one example. Of course maybe one won't be able to much more than cuts only with AVCHD on an AIr but that's still ahead of where you'd be with FCP7.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 19, 2011 at 6:02:47 pm

Do the haters really have to contribute to every thread?

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 19, 2011 at 6:14:35 pm

[Steve Connor] "Do the haters really have to contribute to every thread?"

It's interesting how much time they invest in doing that. Call it "venting" but there a point where it's really destructive to public discourse.

I will not go on to Avid, Premiere, Windows forum and "war" with them. I hold no malice for the choice of tools people make.

There are a group of people who are "guided" by something other than being helpful except that maybe they find it "helpful" to discourage people.

FCPX has a lot in it that I've wished to see in NLEs since I started using Avid over 20 years ago. It's missing a lot but being the only NLE to ever address what I'd like to see in design leads me to focus on that, while at the same time addressing the deficiencies.

If one can't find a single useful thing about FCPX one seriously has to wonder why bother posting in a forum bearing that title. Each of those individuals will have to examine why they are doing what they are doing. It is not good if it results in people leaving the COW though.

Return to posts index

Ewan Lim
on Aug 19, 2011 at 6:20:44 pm

Haters make some interesting reads.

I'm just waiting for the "we can't use it" to get old.

We know we can't use it and why we can't use it. Why can't we move onto how we can use it for now.

Obviously we can't use it for broadcast but for now, we can use it for other things. Family videos not included.

Find work arounds or smth. I don't like complaining without finding or offering a solution.

How could we use FCx right now? To its best of its capabilities till it becomes fit for broadcast and other type of edits and outputs.

Web Videos. Corporate videos. Virals?

I still wish I could do base edits on the go.

Ewan

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 19, 2011 at 8:04:03 pm

[Ewan Lim]I still wish I could do base edits on the go.

But you can: it's called a laptop and whatever NLE you wish. Unless you are specifically talking about editing on your phone/tablet, to which I would say you'd do it for the "neat" factor a handful of times and then never touch it again.

It's not conducive to even that kind of work.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 19, 2011 at 9:01:03 pm

I can see some value to this. Imagine a location scout shooting some clips with their tablet/smartphone and doing a rough cuts only piece. Now as to the value of importing that in to a better equipped "workstation base" NLE . . . it depends. But there certainly is value to a low powered NLE beyond "home movies."

BTW I personally think when Ubillos was thinking of "First Cut" (now known as iMovie) he may well have been thinking that it would be a rough cut/client selects system that could be imported into a finishing NLE for the "Final Cut."

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 19, 2011 at 9:49:46 pm

It sounds good in theory, but I'd be willing to bet that it would get old really quick.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 19, 2011 at 11:44:13 pm

[Gary Huff] "but I'd be willing to bet that it would get old really quick."

Good for those who want to use it. Not "old" for them.

Return to posts index

Ewan Lim
on Aug 20, 2011 at 1:32:47 am

It won't get old for people like me where even a laptop can be a bulky thing.

When I mention edit on the go... I do mean edit on the go such as on the bus, train, plane or taxi. I would love to pop out my macbook pro but honestly, it does feel bulky from time to time.

Why can't I transfer some low res files to a tablet, do a rough cut on the go, come back to a proper NLE system, transfer my project file to it, relink to my higher resolution footages and start finishing it up?

It does help if you are in news or in a fast pace heavy workflow environment.

The "Why are there no editing suites for me to use? :( i just want to do a rough cut" scenario would be gone.
Or the editor who does edits everywhere might begin.

Editing on a tablet. When your laptop is too bulky and all you want to do is to put crap together and not to layer a bajillion effects on each other.

Ewan

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 20, 2011 at 3:35:28 am

It's funny. As I was doing Avid tutorials today, I was thinking how cool it would be to have some form of Media Composer lite on a tablet for a quick rough cut. It would be very easy to interface with the existing icons. I think I'd quite like it.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 20, 2011 at 5:14:53 pm

You can always play with iMovie on the iPad to get a taste. Why aren't more people doing that if it's so killer?

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 20, 2011 at 5:51:41 pm

[Gary Huff] "Why aren't more people doing that if it's so killer?
"

Because I can't build a list? I like mobility. I like the option of going off to a coffee shop, and sometimes do with my laptop and a g-raid mini. Since I often have to break locked picture down into a selects bin, a little pad that lets me punch i/o as I watch a proxy of my project for the first time would be just the ticket. Then, my list goes into the full NLE for further work. Does that really seem so foreign a desire?

I should add that I would be happy to pay $299 for any software that would let me do that, even if it is built from the ashes of my favorite NLE.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Aug 20, 2011 at 3:01:09 am

[Ewan Lim] "I'm just waiting for the "we can't use it" to get old."

Never gonna get old. They quit making Yugos twenty years ago, and you can still generate some LULZ with a Yugo reference.
Just like bashing imovie, express and Win movie maker. That never gets old either.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Dave Sims
on Aug 19, 2011 at 11:09:24 pm

Call me a hater but I am done with depending on Apple applications for my livelihood. Apple Inc. just punched most editors in the world in the gut. OK I will punch back. I am done with the Cupertino kids except for maybe another platform. They can forget selling me any more software.

The great things about FCPX, and there some really great things, are far outweighed by the missing professional tools. Of course the future is file based, but you can't operate in the pro world strictly on that basis yet. And the audio, sheesh! I don't care what's "coming." It's vaporware until it's there.

Maybe the next couple of updates will make a schmuck out of me and I'll do a 180. But I doubt it. Ten or fifteen years ago I was fond of saying "Avid is the way God intended us to edit." I guess I will find religion again.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Aug 20, 2011 at 3:07:46 am

[Dave Sims] "Maybe the next couple of updates will make a schmuck out of me and I'll do a 180. But I doubt it."

Yeah, I doubt it too.
Judging by the amount of apathy that has settled into this forum in the last few weeks, I would say by the time they roll out enough significant updates to X, the number of people still using it will be about the same as the MII users group membership.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 20, 2011 at 5:21:20 pm

Frankly, all the projects I'm currently working on at this very moment would require so many workarounds that working in FCPX would be slower than in Premiere in every single aspect.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Aug 21, 2011 at 8:12:43 pm

Proper editing on the go... yeah, fabulous idea, but surely that's gonna be only partly to do with kit and more to do with head space; the ability to think clearly without being distracted or interrupted whilst out of the office.

Anyway, the next big change I'd like to see would be to have a faster and more efficient way to make changes (both broad sweeps and delicate adjustments) than a mouse in one hand and a keyboard under the other.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]