FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auto Color correction on ingest! Control Surfaces?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Dee
Auto Color correction on ingest! Control Surfaces?
on May 6, 2011 at 2:36:37 am

I can't wait for FCPX to be released. With auto color correction on ingest, we'll never have to color correct again. I think this is exactly what all we pro editors have been looking for. Thank you Apple for adding such valuable features to make our professional lives so much easier.

On a more serious note, I have been wondering about control surfaces. My Tascam FW-1884 does not allow for automation mixes any longer with 10.6 and FCP7. I have read that the Alesis MasterControl does work, but I am now thinking I should hold off until iEdit (sorry- I meant FCPX) is released.

I also use the JL Cooper Spectrum to work with FCP's 3 Way color corrector, but who knows if the 3way CC will even be there, let alone the hooks that allowed JL Cooper to make it function.

It will also be interesting to see if things like the Timecode Viewer will be included. This was a handy feature to allow a producer to log from across the room. We'll know once released but I certainly hope Apple is taking its cues from the actual needs of professionals in the industry, rather than thinking they're reinventing editing.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Auto Color correction on ingest! Control Surfaces?
on May 6, 2011 at 2:50:18 am

[Richard Dee] "I can't wait for FCPX to be released. With auto color correction on ingest, we'll never have to color correct again. "

My guess it's auto white balance and I suspect it may actually guess wrong some of the time. I'd much prefer if it would do an auto analysis but remain disabled on the clip. This would allow me to toggle on and either accept it as a starting point or leave it off for the given clip and adjust manually. In any case I may want to tweak it manually any even if it got close.

Basically I have no problem if it does an analysis as long as we don't have to fight bad decisions by the computer but my hunch is that it will be something one can disable. It will have some value in "ball parking" for some clips.

Obviously no one will know about control surface compatibility until it's released and unless it's a major "break" I think companies will work as fast as they gain to regain compatibility.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 6, 2011 at 9:56:57 pm

I believe the gent may have been playing the deadpan card there on the auto-correct..

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 6, 2011 at 10:10:23 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I believe the gent may have been playing the deadpan card there on the auto-correct.."

I suspected that but the way to counter it is to note that such auto feature can likely be disabled and, I suspect, actually can be set to analyze and not actually make the modification. I suspect the auto stabilize feature is the same in that you'd have it analyze but not actually make changes. It doesn't make much sense to work any other way and Apple/Ubilos isn't stupid (IMHO) even though too many people posting are making wild assumptions to the contrary.

Return to posts index

Shawn Bann
on May 6, 2011 at 6:36:19 pm

i'm very excited to see this feature in action. one thing to note though, in apple's demo of the feature,
did you notice the first clip was "professionally" color corrected while the next shot was untreated?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 6, 2011 at 6:55:57 pm

Yes, superficially the match color feature seems to be more accurate then the convoluted match in FCP7. It seems like it's a bit better than just copying a color correction filter to another shot.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 6, 2011 at 9:57:51 pm

well, I reckon if the likes of yourselves continue to make forensic observations in the run up, it can't do any bit of harm.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]