FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Titles - How to Align?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Ohmit
FCPX Titles - How to Align?
on Aug 17, 2011 at 6:01:06 pm

I'm working on FCPx for the first time and for the life of me I cannot figure out how the heck to manipulate the titles.

For example, I want to have a basic multi-line, left-justified title that spans across most of the canvas. I created a custom Title, which appears to have a text box within a frame, and typed my text in. When selecting left alignment from the inspector, it aligns all of the text to the left of the text box, but sets the top-left corner of the text box to the center of the frame. I cannot increase the size of my text because it ends up off the frame.

If I move the frame, I can get the text to the left-side of the canvas, but it is still cropped. I cannot figure out how to move the text box itself within the frame. I've tried option+drag, command+drag, shift+drag. I have tried changing the position and anchor in the inspector, but no luck.

I cannot figure out how to create what I am looking for without creating a new title for every line of text, leaving it center aligned, and manually dragging the frame to where I want it. So far, I am not finding FCPx to be very intuitive.

Please Help!

Return to posts index

Tom Ohmit
Re: FCPX Titles - How to Align?
on Aug 17, 2011 at 10:53:07 pm

Let's see if this works....trying to add a screen shot again.

Return to posts index

Brendan Gibbons
on Aug 18, 2011 at 5:06:04 pm

Hi Tom,

I find the default text annoying too.

Here's a link to a preset I created in Motion that could be of help.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/344/3105

Cheers,

Brendan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 18, 2011 at 8:10:02 pm

You have to grab the little puck and move it. Try double clickng the text and the puck should show up.

Return to posts index

Tom Ohmit
on Aug 18, 2011 at 9:04:21 pm

Dragging the puck moves the entire text frame, which doesn't solve my problem. I need to move just the text box inside the frame. Thanks though.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 18, 2011 at 9:12:42 pm

[Tom Ohmit] "Dragging the puck moves the entire text frame, which doesn't solve my problem. I need to move just the text box inside the frame. Thanks though."

You are dragging the wrong puck. you must be dragging the layer container puck.

You have to double click the actual text to get the right puck. Check out this screen grab:

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tom Ohmit
on Aug 18, 2011 at 9:18:26 pm

I am double-clicking the actual text. The same puck appears as in your screenshot, but is not drag-able. When mousing over the puck, the mouse is still a text cursor and the puck will not move. When I click the transform tool, that same puck moves the entire frame.

Is there a setting or something that enable me to use the puck to drag the textbox?

Return to posts index

Tom Ohmit
on Aug 18, 2011 at 9:21:33 pm

This is the puck you are talking about, correct? Or am I missing something? This puck will not drag......

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Aug 19, 2011 at 2:35:21 am

it drags on my system...

NT

Return to posts index

Tom Ohmit
on Aug 19, 2011 at 2:25:35 pm

Thanks, I'm happy for you. Wish mine worked.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Aug 21, 2011 at 1:30:11 pm

I found that on my older MacBook Pro dragging doesn't work although it works on my Mac Pro. What are your system specs? When you mouse over the text puck the text insertion tool should change to an arrow. On my MBP it doesn't so I can't drag. It might be because my system is on the lower end of acceptable specs for FCP X or I may need to re-install or trash prefs. I'm going to give those a try. You might try that as well. Regardless of what the published minimum requirements are for FCP X from my experience you lose a lot of functionality on a "lower end" system. I know this doesn't really help but maybe it will point you in the right direction.

NT

Return to posts index

Tom Ohmit
on Aug 22, 2011 at 4:46:18 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I'm running a 64 bit 27" iMac i5 w/ 8GB ram. there's really no reason that it shouldn't work. the only thing I can figure out is that I'm running Lion. I'm going to try installing FCPx on my Snow Leopard drive and see if that is any different.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Aug 18, 2011 at 9:16:39 pm

It sounds like you are confusing which puck is which. If you hit Shift T you will move the whole frame as you have said. However if you exit the transform mode and just select the puck which shows up at the left end of the first line of text you can move it over and your text will no longer be cropped.

NT

Return to posts index

Tom Ohmit
on Aug 18, 2011 at 9:09:47 pm

Thanks Brendan, I'll give it a try, This is a pretty big oversight by Apple to not include a basic, functional title plugin.

Return to posts index

Egil Hatleskog
on Aug 19, 2011 at 9:12:51 pm

If the cursor does not change, and you cant move the text, you are probably using Lion, 10.7

Let me know if you find a way around the problem :-(

Return to posts index

Tom Ohmit
on Aug 19, 2011 at 10:25:32 pm

oh no....don't tell me Apple's new 64 bit professional video editor doesn't work with Apple's new 64 bit operating system.

maybe I should click this ad that says switch to Adobe from FinalCut and get 50% off....... i have been having quite a lot of crashes and i've been unable to import footage from my DV cam now. but, that's a new thread.

Return to posts index

Aidan Taub
on Aug 22, 2011 at 7:38:52 pm

Seriously?
this has been driving me mad for a while now.
So with OS X LION and FCPX I can't drag my text around without cropping it?
I find this all a little hard to believe. I guess titles in Motion and/or after effects then.
lunacy.

Return to posts index

Robert Bracken
on Aug 24, 2011 at 8:54:26 pm

I'm having the exact same problem.
Check out my screen shot.

I can't move the text, and it is being cut off!

Return to posts index

Tom Ohmit
on Aug 24, 2011 at 9:05:42 pm

Because of the number of glitches I found like this one where features don't function, as well as frequent crashes, Apple is refunding my money. I am currently demoing Adobe Premiere and Avid Media Composer. I like Adobe, being very very similar to FCP, but being a ProTools user I am leaning towards Avid.

If anyone has any input I'd love to consider it.

Return to posts index

Robert Bracken
on Nov 16, 2011 at 7:07:13 pm

after reading this thread, you need to double click the text. It will highlight with with a white box. click and drag the puck it gives you.

Make sure the transform effect is off. That is located in the viewer window as a box with a left pointing arrow. Make sure that is turned off.

-Bobby

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 24, 2011 at 9:06:46 pm

Click the "done" button at the top right, then double click the text in the viewer as if you were going to edit it.

You are trying to transform the whole layer there, not just the text.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 24, 2011 at 9:18:22 pm

Actually wait, what preset are you using there?

Return to posts index

Robert Bracken
on Aug 25, 2011 at 3:12:23 am

No preset. If you can see my alignment is to the left which puts in right in the middle of the text screen. This is very frustrating.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 25, 2011 at 3:25:18 am

So you are using 'Custom' setting?

Return to posts index

Robert Bracken
on Aug 25, 2011 at 7:52:51 pm

yes

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 25, 2011 at 9:38:08 pm

So you can't do this?:

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/fcpxtitle

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Robert Bracken
on Aug 31, 2011 at 6:28:36 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Your video looked great. Thanks for the tip!

Return to posts index

Brad Bell
on May 12, 2014 at 11:37:47 am

I just went though the same thing as Tom Ohmit again. I've been through it before. I've read this thread before. It solved my problem before. And then the problem recurred. And I just couldn't figure it out this time.

THE PROBLEM:
The feedback from moving the text puck is just terrible. If your line length is not long enough, no matter what you do, you will not get any visible feedback. The text will appear to simply move back and forth on the video screen, as if you were doing a transform. You only get feedback if you have a very long line of text: the amount the text that's cut off will vary.

SOLUTION: Dear future Brad, the next time this happens:
Make sure the line of text runs the full width of the video screen. Now adjust the puck and the feedback will allow you to understand what is being adjusted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]