FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Interface, New Everything, but Time to learn it all over again?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Laughlin
New Interface, New Everything, but Time to learn it all over again?
on May 5, 2011 at 6:18:49 pm

I've been reading several on-line articles and forums about the new FCP X, and the only thing that I'm concerned about (and maybe this is where people post and reassure me) is its quick adaptability, integration, and learning that will have to take place within thousands of production houses. I'm seeing myself editing for a client, and all of the sudden, I'm trying to navigate through learning a whole new interface. I know that several people have used the word "democratization" in their explanations, and I understand that all things will change and evolve. But with cameras for example, the process of DP work is still very much a few days learning the new camera or camera format, but all the other elements are the same, lighting, framing, color balance, filters, depth of field, etc. Going from VHS to DV to tapeless HD, it gets better and better and somewhat easier and easier, but post is a completely different story. I know several people going back to Windows XP a few days after trying to figure out Vista, some love Vista, I do, and that is great. But my concerns are only because of the situations where clients are not all going to want to wait around for editors to navigate a whole new interface, and so that learning must be done during "off" time, at home, or at a library, so. But when do media professionals have off-time? It's going to have to be a dedication and yes, more needed learning. But I know there are a lot of features that are designed to make life better, but is that what a lot of editors are needing, is a whole new software build? Tapeless workflow made sense and for DPs and camera guys, yes it can make life better, and save time and money. But it saving money a bonus here when everyone can buy it for $299? It makes perfect business sense, but what about the last 10 years of FCP evolution, to scrap and build a new one, it's exciting but scary. In the end, this seems to be part of the gone with the old, but those who are dictating what is old and what is new, in terms of post production, seems to raise lots of questions. And I hope that in the end, it's great and does all what people are saying it does, but this means everyone is going to have to re-learn the tool. Some may think why re-invent the wheel that's been turning for years. Processes vs editing philosophy is not what I'm referring to, I'm looking at this in terms on making the educational investment to use the tools, is that time going to exist for me to have time to learn this all, not only all the new tools, but the new interface in general? I'm excited, but also nervous, anyone else share the same sentiment? I look forward to hearing more about FCPX, and trying it, and hope the learning curve is not too cumbersome.

Love to hear your thoughts,

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCP7/Sony EX-3/Mac Quad-Core Intel

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: New Interface, New Everything, but Time to learn it all over again?
on May 5, 2011 at 6:43:47 pm

I am expecting to have to dedicate a lot of time to learning the new interface and how things work. I can see myself getting one of the new Peach Pit Press tutorials and spending a few weeks just learning it. That is what I had to do for each Apple Certification I have but in the end it is worth it. I think I will try to upgrade when I see a break in work coming and try to do it then. Who knows what will happen in reality though....

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 5, 2011 at 7:23:47 pm

Given that it seems that Steve Martin of Ripple Training is a beta tester I suspect we'll be seeing tutorials from them right out of the gate in June.

Ever since the days when I started dubbing from 2" machines to two new formats called Betamax and VHS, my life has been about learning new gear and later new software. The only thing I miss was the time it took for a 90 minute reel to rewind on an Ampex VPR2B allowing to me "run to the bathroom" so I get to take a sneak peak at something in the CMX 340 manual away from the client's eyes. And now with those long render bars being a thing of the past (supposedly) where are we going to find the time to look at a quick video tutorial or search the PDF. I expect that in the not too distant future, I'll have to find time to learn how to properly implant the electrodes for the mind control edit systems coming.

I like new toys. Give me that K-Scope manual. It blows away the ADO. Let's see how long it takes me to figure out how to build a rotating cube.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on May 5, 2011 at 8:40:30 pm

I like new toys. Give me that K-Scope manual. It blows away the ADO. Let's see how long it takes me to figure out how to build a rotating cube.

Just wanted to let you know I understand this, and appreciate the humor. :)

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on May 5, 2011 at 10:33:33 pm

i understand too.....cmx340x,4 quad vtr's,1",3/4",gv-300,gv-dve,chyron,abekas still store.....it was a mess.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on May 6, 2011 at 1:46:02 am

ADO was much easier to program than the K-Scope..... but oh what a full decked out K-Scope could do!

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on May 6, 2011 at 7:27:24 am

No, just keep editing with fcp7
The world doesnt end the day fcpx will be released.
Fcp 4 still runs on g4 powermacs!!

Return to posts index

jack Bibbo
on May 10, 2011 at 10:52:08 pm

[Paul Jay] "No, just keep editing with fcp7
The world doesnt end the day fcpx will be released."

Exactly these are just tools, hammers if you will, if FCP 07 can do the job today it can do the job tomorrow.

You would not want to jump on a piece of software that you dont know with clients anyway. So there will always be late night learning.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 6, 2011 at 7:44:14 am

Our plan of attack will be to make it as much like FCP7 as possible initially with shortcuts, window setups, etc. If we're really crunched, we'll work with what we know best initially and then over time transition once we feel relatively confident about it. The basic concepts of editing don't change, mostly we'll all be dealing with navigating a new UI.

Hopefully things will work with AJA out of the gate so we won't have to deal with hardware interface issues (knock on wood). We'll be investing in new hardware at the same time, so we'll already be in a 'learning new things' mindset.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 6, 2011 at 4:32:03 pm

[John Davidson] "Hopefully things will work with AJA out of the gate so we won't have to deal with hardware interface issues (knock on wood)."

That's gonna be a tough one I suspect. In the past I/O devices and hard drive subsystems have seldom been ready out of the gate. I hope I'm wrong this time, but I suspect it'll take some time for new drivers.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 11, 2011 at 5:51:21 pm

You think YOU don't want to learn a new interface? This guy REALLY doesn't want to learn a new interface.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 11, 2011 at 6:02:50 pm

Bueno!!! That just about says it all...

Excellent post stranger.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 11, 2011 at 8:37:18 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Excellent post"

I would add three words to the "ADO" nostalgia -- Vital Industries Squeezoom.
Oh, and a couple more:
Ampex RA-4000.

As far as the Hitler rant goes, haven't the smug tutorials already started? But, the funniest "Rant" takeoffs are of poor old 'Dolf being informed that there are literally thousands of these subtitled shorts and he really resents being made a laughing stock. Particularly when he's informed that Terrell Owens has been traded to Cincinnati, or was that Buffalo... oh, well, one of those trades... (I collect #81 NFL shirts, and probably not possible to get every team with my name on it... but close! -- maybe Edmonton Eskimos next!)

jPOwens

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on May 11, 2011 at 6:53:21 pm

Too funny!

It's right on the mark too.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on May 11, 2011 at 8:14:10 pm

Lol...literally!

Great link, thanks for sharing tim!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 11, 2011 at 9:24:56 pm

Magnifico!!
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on May 11, 2011 at 9:51:35 pm

Along the same lines, but this one is a bit more hard core, and sure to ruffle some feathers.
The subs have quite harsh language.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 11, 2011 at 10:12:57 pm

I think the writing is better in the version you posted Scott.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on May 11, 2011 at 10:31:30 pm

You could use this scene for any software or hardware you want to rant about. There should be a yearly post NAB contest!

Who can write the funniest copy to lay over this scene. Can't change the original cut either, right? Is this legal? Probably not.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]