FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Ratings Count - still under 2000, Sales stumbling?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bankston
FCP Ratings Count - still under 2000, Sales stumbling?
on Aug 16, 2011 at 11:01:59 pm

If you can use the number of ratings in the App Store as any indication of sales of a product, FCP X sales have crawled almost to a halt.
Consider this informal Talley. - assumes a consistent percentage of people who want to rate their app.

• First couple of days of release there were about 600 reviews

• First week totaled about 1200 reviews on the app store.

• 2 weeks after release, about 1400 reviews on the app store.

• 4 weeks about 1700 reviews

• 6 weeks about 1800 reviews

• Today, 7 weeks 1924 reviews and 3 stars.

1. Its the top grossing app behind Lion, cause its the most expensive app in the store.
    2. Its #12 on top paid app, again principally cause its the most expensive app I presume. (not sure how this is calculated.)

Everything changed in Post."including Sales of the FCP"

David
    @Techwizard
    Former Apple Certified FCP Pro.
    IMDB listed Editor, Producer
    http://davidbankston.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
    Re: FCP Ratings Count - still under 2000, Sales stumbling?
    on Aug 16, 2011 at 11:25:09 pm

Many, and I mean MANY of the reviews have been pulled down by Apple. The bad reviews outnumber the good ones by a large margin, and mostly those reviews are being yanked. I know many people saying that their reviews have been pulled.

So it isn't a clear sign...other than Apple is trying to control this without looking like they are controlling it.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
    on Aug 16, 2011 at 11:26:39 pm

I just bought it about 15 minutes ago...

Jason Jenkins
    Flowmotion Media
    Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
    on Aug 17, 2011 at 12:40:41 am

I'm surprised the sales didn't stop sooner. This is WAY more complex a change than any of us suspected.

It's still largely a puzzle to many people. (In many ways, myself very much included) And I'm saying that as someone who makes a significant part of my living based on editing for pay.

Like it or not, what they hatched in Cupertino was a kitten in a world of dogs. Kittens are WAY different than dogs. Some people like one or the other. Some like both. If the world is farms full of sheep, dogs will probably always be the preferred field companions. If you have a barn, however and the mice are driving you nuts - then all the dogs in the world won't make your life as satisfied as a good cat.

FCP-X is a kitten now. It may only ever grow into a scrawny under-nourished tabby - but I wouldn't bet on that. The owners are REALLY animal savvy, and they know how to feed, vaccinate, and support animals of all types. In fact they're EXPERTS at exactly that. So the kitten might grow into a Ocelot or a Bengal Tiger. But it won't ever be a Border Collie. So get over it.

(Just playing with words today - so don't take this too seriously. Just come up with your own piece explaining while I'm an idiot and this is actually all about kiddie cars and Shelby Cobras, or paper airplanes and dirigibles, or just have your own fun with it. After all, writing for fun is it's own reward, no?")

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
    on Aug 17, 2011 at 12:49:05 am

It really comes down to the fact that some of us, like me, prefer the one that knows how to use the litter box . . . and others say they have more control because they can decide when to take it out for a walk. In the end, I'll say ask you who has the cleaner carpeting.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
    on Aug 17, 2011 at 5:56:37 pm

[Bill Davis] "FCP-X is a kitten now. It may only ever grow into a scrawny under-nourished tabby - but I wouldn't bet on that. The owners are REALLY animal savvy, and they know how to feed, vaccinate, and support animals of all types. In fact they're EXPERTS at exactly that. So the kitten might grow into a Ocelot or a Bengal Tiger. But it won't ever be a Border Collie. So get over it."

BILL FINALLY REALIZES IT'S NOT JUST A BAD DREAM
    http://reels.creativecow.net/film/its-over-not

David Roth Weiss
    Director/Editor/Colorist
    David Weiss Productions, Inc.
    Los Angeles
    http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
    http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
    on Aug 16, 2011 at 11:31:47 pm

Top paid is the based on numbers of sales. That combined with the price makes it the second highest grosser.

Reviews were pulled in the first week. I saw some, and I would have pulled them as well. You don't call the people at Apple, specific named people, assholes and expect your review is going to stay there. Some were probably pulled because Apple didn't like them. Some reviews were pulled and then put back up a few days later.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
    Coming in 2011 "Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
    on Aug 16, 2011 at 11:42:36 pm

didn't they use a non-existent software revision to reset the reviews and refresh the ratings early on?

http://www.ogallchoir.net
    promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
    on Aug 17, 2011 at 12:27:25 am

I think that's in the realm of urban myth.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
    Coming in 2011 "Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
    on Aug 17, 2011 at 12:32:36 am

I actually think no - there was a flip over point. I could be mad but I recall the torrent of reviews brought to a stop with a current version rest. i remember looking at it and shrugging the wee bit.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
    promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

James Daugherty
    on Aug 17, 2011 at 2:37:31 am

FCPX is tainted as the Edsel of video editing software. Apple doesn't care. I don't really care. I think once the 12 people who want to buy tutorial DVDs for FCPX, all of the tutorial guys will switch to FCP7 to Premiere and FCP7 to Avid tutorials.

Larry Jordan is doing a webinar on Aug. 31 — Migrating from FCP 7 to Adobe Premiere Pro.
    The end is near.

James Daugherty
    President SDFCPUG.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
    on Aug 17, 2011 at 7:27:25 pm

"Apple's Edsel" was my comment in the App Store after two days of playing with FCP X. Oddly, it never seemed to achieve actual comment status. Never allowed? Deleted? I have no idea.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
    on Aug 17, 2011 at 2:37:11 am

purchased it the first hour available. Did not bother to rate it.
    I dont rate things, I just use them till they work for me :)

Return to posts index

Leo Hans
    on Aug 17, 2011 at 10:53:58 pm

You are wrong.

a) Not everybody buying an app is rating and reviewing it. Look at Angry Birds for instance.
    b) Is the number of copies bought, not the price what makes it top.
    c) If Apple is manipulating the reviews. Why FCPX is not four stars?

I think at the beginning people bought the app just to see and to try it, but now, people buy FCPX knowing what to expect (unless they are fool since there is a lot of info on the web about it).

Leo Hans
    Editor AVID - Final Cut Pro
    http://www.leohans.com

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
    on Aug 18, 2011 at 5:01:55 am

Cats only love you when they're hungry.

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
    FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
    G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]