FORUMS: list search recent posts

A good re-read about Quicktime as it relates to FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
A good re-read about Quicktime as it relates to FCP X
on Aug 16, 2011 at 6:39:29 pm

I keep these kinds of articles on hand for reference and thought it'd be good to share again with all of the concerns (likes and dislikes) about FCP X. I've never thought of FCP (any version) as an island, but more looked at particularly this version as it relates to everything Apple has been up to in recent years with it's software and hardware technologies. Perhaps that's why I've been pretty accepting of FCP X and it's direction despite the many current drawbacks.

Enjoy the read for what it's worth.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/6

Tangier

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: A good re-read about Quicktime as it relates to FCP X
on Aug 16, 2011 at 7:37:04 pm

QuickTime's path into 64-bit has come in fits and starts. The QTKit frameworks that are mentioned in your linked article have since been superseded by AVFoundation in Lion (the origins of AVFoundation are in iOS 3). This all goes back to Apple's reversal of decision to support 64-bit Carbon in 2007. The previous year, Apple told developers at WWDC that Carbon would be going 64-bit. Then one year later they did a complete 180 and said only Cocoa would support 64-bit. This totally borked big old Carbon apps like FCP, QuickTime, and third parties like Adobe. Ironically, Adobe got their Cocoa rewrite done (CS5) before Apple did.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
Re: A good re-read about Quicktime as it relates to FCP X
on Aug 16, 2011 at 8:42:54 pm

I didn't mean to exclude what's being done with AV Foundation, but thanks for the clarification on what's been going on with Quicktime.

Tangier

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]