FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opening clips in Premiere Pro makes them go offline in FCX.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
Opening clips in Premiere Pro makes them go offline in FCX.
on Aug 15, 2011 at 9:04:34 pm

Anyone solve the offline issue?

I opened a few FCX clips in Premiere Pro to see how it would handle the codec, and then closed the app, and re-opened FCX.

The three clips are now all offline. It seems that Premiere had modified the clips somehow, and now FCX does not recognize them.

I can right-click on an offline clip and choose "reveal in finder". It takes me to an alias to the original media. I double-click on the alias and the clip opens just fine in Quicktime.

This is curious...
if I open a photoshop file that I've got in my timeline, and modify it in photoshop and save it, the psd automatically updates in my timeline. The new modified timestamp on the clip doesn't force it offline. I even add a layer to the psd, which would have freaked out FC7, and when I went back to FCX, it updated the psd, and displayed the clip as I expected.

Why then oh why will the quicktime file go offline? And how can I get it back?

I can re-import the offline 3 offline clips, but it creates new clips in the event, and doesn't change the offline nature of the original clips.

Replace the clips with the freshly imported footage? That will require replacing 59 edits. Not easily done, and I imagine all the effects will disappear.

What a headache.

---------
I'm calling it FCX. They took the "pro" out, so I will too.
I'll reconsider after the first upgrade.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
blogging at http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Opening clips in Premiere Pro makes them go offline in FCX.
on Aug 15, 2011 at 10:56:20 pm

While I don't know for sure, my guess is that the XMP metadata that is added to the QT files from Adobe changes the files just enough so that FCPx thinks they are different. This used to happen with AE and FCP7. I used to turn off XMP in AE, not sure if this is possible with Premiere.

For FCPx, try dragging a file from the Finder on to the Event and see if that will restore the link. If it works, do it for all files.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Aug 15, 2011 at 10:58:09 pm

There's a preference in PrPro to write XMP data to file on opening. That's the only way I'm aware of that a clip can get modified. Is it turned on? If not there's some other issue.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 16, 2011 at 12:49:02 am

I ran into this issue when I initially worked on my review. In my case, it happened when I used Automatic Duck ProExportFCP to send an AAF to PPro (just for grins). The files opened in PPro, which caused the offline issue. To reconnect media you have to delete the file from the Event browser and re-import. This will re-establish links to any media in the project.

Basically, assume that anything in an Event library should never be opened by any app that can overwrite any part of it. Now there's robust media management for you!

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 16, 2011 at 2:06:24 am

Similar thing happens when you export and XML from FCP Classic to Premiere. When you go back to FCP your entire sequence becomes unrendered. Now that's progress.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 16, 2011 at 2:12:18 am

It's XMP.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 16, 2011 at 2:22:32 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "It's XMP."

Correct, but does it matter what it is? FCP X should be more immune to this sort of thing.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 16, 2011 at 2:37:55 am

[Oliver Peters] "Correct, but does it matter what it is? FCP X should be more immune to this sort of thing."

Yeah, in an effort to create rock solid media management, they broke it. I am sure this will get fixed.

Fcp7 wasn't totally immune either.

Or did they?

Maybe XMP shouldn't modify media files in such a way to knock it loose...

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Aug 16, 2011 at 3:21:18 am

Well, nothing I can do will bring back my missing media. Importing the clips back into FCX just gives me new clips in the event, but there is no correlation to the clips in the timeline.

Ironically, as if to mock me, if I try to delete the newly imported clips from the event, I get the warning:

No... I don't think it's in use. What makes you think it's in use? Everything is off-line from that clip, even though when I select "reveal in finder" and then select "view original file" from the alias in the "original media" folder, the media is there and will play.

Is Apple going to start fixing these problems before we all bleed to death waiting?

I feel like the kids in Peter Pan, saying over and over again "I DO believe in Final Cut Pro X. I do! I do! I DO!"

but it doesn't come back to life.

Thanks for listening.

---------

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 16, 2011 at 12:08:56 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Fcp7 wasn't totally immune either. "
FCP7 and Premiere Pro don't seem to have any interaction issues that I've seen. But yes, I agree this is at least partially an Adobe problem.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 16, 2011 at 3:57:51 pm

[Oliver Peters] "FCP7 and Premiere Pro don't seem to have any interaction issues that I've seen. But yes, I agree this is at least partially an Adobe problem."

If using AutoDuck to send a rendered sequence to AE, then ProImport to AE with XMP on, the render files would get knocked loose in FCP7.

Of course, all you would need to do is rerender, but it still modified the files. My wild guess is that the XMP writes some sort of connection in to the video file to connect with the external XMP file. I haven't investigated XMP much.

Return to posts index

Gary Pollard
on Aug 16, 2011 at 9:55:05 am

Well, it's as much a Premiere Pro issue as an FCP X issue.

And, ironically, it happens even between Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro.

If you have imported video file into Premiere Elements, it creates an XMP file.

If you open it in Premiere Pro, maybe to use the same shot in another project, the XMP file gets modified, and then it's not usable in Premiere elements without re-analysing or re-importing.

I half edited one project in Elements, but then thought I'd import the files into Premiere Pro as an experiment. It completely messed up my Elements project.

____

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Aug 16, 2011 at 12:37:13 pm

If you're going to exchange media between PrPro and other software it's best to be on the safe side and turn off |Preferences|Media|Write XMP ID to file on import|.

There's another option, Enable XMP and File Metadata Linking, that can be left on without disturbing the clip.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 16, 2011 at 3:50:06 pm

I started a thread about this about a month ago. From my testing, opening files in PPro (with XMP) caused files to go offline in FCPX 100% of the time. Interestingly, opening files in FCP 7 also would occasionally cause files to go offline in FCPX. My conclusion is that FCPX is very sensitive to metadata discrepancies and corruption, and has very little in the way of dealing with any issues, other than taking the file offline.

I had to completely rebuild a sequence from scratch, as without any XML, AAF, EDL or even basic display of source timecode, there was no way to get my edit back. Luckily it was a fairly brief sequence, and I could rely on my memory. Having this happen on long complex edit would be a disaster.

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Aug 17, 2011 at 12:36:46 am

Well the program itself is designed to "Do it all by itself" Maybe taking the clips that you Ingested using iMovie Pro X, Have probably been Modified for Performance in that program, Premiere probably added to the metaData changing it slightly and therefore iMovie X doesn't recognize the Metadata anymore, that would be my guess. DO some test and Let us know if it worked out.

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 17, 2011 at 12:53:54 am

[Greg Burke] "Premiere probably added to the metaData changing it slightly and therefore iMovie X doesn't recognize the Metadata anymore,"

I think it's not even that the metadata interferes. Rather that once metadata has been added, the file's modification date has been altered outside of FCP X's database. Now the link is broken, because the media file no longer exactly matches the database criteria. Since you can no longer force reconnection, you are stuck.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Aug 17, 2011 at 9:51:11 pm

Yes indeed, I actually heard from Adobe.

Turning off the XMP will fix this, but I hope I can be convinced that injecting metadata into the original clip is a good idea.

A better idea is if there were a relink tool in FCX.

I had my original files on another drive. I replaced the PP modified files with the originals on my FCX drive, and bingo, the clips came back online.

Do we all need to save original copies of all of our media, just in case something changes?

I think so. I'm going to start backing up my working drive more religiously. I used to think that as long as I could recapture my footage from tape that I was safe..... no more.

Thanks for the input.

---------

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Aug 18, 2011 at 11:25:45 am

[Mark Morache] "Yes indeed, I actually heard from Adobe."

Hey Mark, glad they got back in touch with you. I'm actually on vacation, but still check some forums every day and noticed your original post and passed it on. We're trying to stay involved with our users and the forums is one of those ways. Glad to know that you're near one of our big offices too.

Be well,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]