FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacBook Pro migrating to Lion - Partitions?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Smith
MacBook Pro migrating to Lion - Partitions?
on Aug 15, 2011 at 7:54:18 pm

Hi, David,

I have a few questions re optimizing use of my laptop with FCP/X. I've read some of your posts to others and watched your excellent tutorial on partitioning. I've enjoyed and learned from your clarity and good advice. I like your approach to partitioning to deal with the transition "era" we're in. Not long ago I upgraded to FCP Studio Pro for my July '09 17" MB Pro. Precisely when the MBP's internal DVD drive started failing. I live in Jerusalem but have extended AppleCare Warranty which should cover a replacement. At the same time the machine will be in the shop I plan to swap out the 500 GB boot drive, put it in an external enclosure for belt and suspenders' sake and install a 1TB WD drive in its place. I'll mostly be doing concert and dance videography in and around music academy venues this year. But that could expand rapidly to more production intensive projects. After I do the swap, I'll have another fast external HD or RAID can for scratch, but I'm interested in your take on how to partition a 1TB onboard HD. What might you recommend for a Macbook Pro drive strategy. I don't think I need the partition behind door #2, since I have little Snow Leopard Legacy. I'll have my FCP Studio. I have yet to invest in a Matrox OX2 or AJA's ioHD, but I'm looking ahead. Once the new boot drive is installed I'll download and install Lion. I guess a more salient question would be: what's in store for Lion-friendly HD edit/conversion software? Or am I in a good position to jump ship to Premiere or Avid. I've been a private and/or professional Mac user/support pro since the 128K Macs. Thanks in advance, David, for your time and consideration!

David Smith

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]