FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clip keyword search issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Maher
Clip keyword search issue
on Aug 15, 2011 at 12:57:44 pm

Hi,

I'm having an issue where FCPX's clip search is not working. I've assigned keywords to many of the clip (see in the smart collections to the left) but when I try to search for keywords within a collection I get no results.

In the attached example I've labeled a clip with "hanoi" and "Gabrielle".... If I do a search for those word in ANY location I get not results ("no clips match the current filter settings")

can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

best, Thomas

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Clip keyword search issue
on Aug 15, 2011 at 6:47:52 pm

One thing that has to be right is the spelling... are the keywords attached spelled exactly the way the terms you are searching with?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Thomas Maher
on Aug 15, 2011 at 8:17:12 pm

Hi Jerry,

As you can see in my example attachement I have typed in "Gabrielle" the same way it is tagged in the clip below. The same is true for any other clips with keywords (you can see the other keywords I've tried searching for in the left keyword collections column).

It will return results if I type in file names, but that is not useful. I can also modify the search where it has check boxes for keywords but that only gives me results for clips tagged with either/or... what I'm trying to get is results for clips that are only both.

any thoughts?

best, Thomas

Return to posts index

Cathy Murphy
on Aug 15, 2011 at 7:51:02 pm

I believe the search you are currently doing is looking for clips with the name Gabrielle in them vs. clips that have been keyworded with Gabrielle (i.e. you could search for 1904 here to bring up the MVI_1904 clip).

Using the filter window (click on the magnifying glass in the search field) you could create a search that would allow you to make a new collection of clips tagged with either or both the Gabrielle and Hanoi keywords (click on the "+" and check the Gabrielle and Hanoi checkboxes, and set keywords to "include any" or "include all").

I hope this is what you were looking for?

Return to posts index

Thomas Maher
on Aug 16, 2011 at 1:39:54 am

Thanks Cathy,

Yes, it does seem that the search only produces results based on file names.

Your alternate technique also works well (I hadn't tried the any/all) The problem is that it takes much more effort to open this box and start checking and unchecking boxes to get results.

Very frustrating that you can't just do a quick keyword search by typing keywords into the search field.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

best, Thomas

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Aug 15, 2011 at 9:00:30 pm

If you search with the checkbox on next to keywords in the dialog box that opens when you type cmd+f, and the clips are tagged with a keyword they work OK here. If you're searching for key worded clips, you must have the keywords added to the list (from the plus button in the filter dialog box).

Are you doing that too?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Thomas Maher
on Aug 16, 2011 at 1:46:52 am

Thanks Jerry,

I just tried that (see attached image)... still no results. Very frustrating because I clearly have tagged some clips as "Hanoi".

Is there no way to search for clips by typing in their keywords? It would seem to be a big mistake by Apple.

best, Thomas

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Aug 16, 2011 at 2:28:24 am

Type cmd=f. In the window click on the plus sign in the upper right. Add keywords to the list... then search on the keyword... the clips are displayed in the browser. I just tried this and it works just peachy...

Jerry

Return to posts index

Thomas Maher
on Aug 16, 2011 at 2:51:14 am

Thanks Jerry,

OK...

I've selected all my footage from 2011 to the left...

I hit command-F...

I hit the + on the top right...

I check off all my keywords....

I type in "water" (I have 9 clips tagged with the keyword "water")...

NADA!!!

You can see in the latest attached image just below the search box it says "no clips match the current filter setting"

Any other ideas on why this might not be working for me?

best, Thomas

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Aug 16, 2011 at 12:00:45 pm

Try just selecting the Event, not the clips.

Jerry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]