FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing 7d footage into FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew blackman
Importing 7d footage into FCPX
on Aug 14, 2011 at 5:34:03 am

I cant seem to figure out how to import converted h.264 files to prores 4444 using compressor into FCPX. It doesnt seem to read the files? or if i import the h.264 file straight into FCPX and make an optimized media copy so that its 422 it doesn't read it in FCPX?

also is there a way to switch out the source media from the 422 to 4444 before export my final export?

Return to posts index

alban egger
Re: Importing 7d footage into FCPX
on Aug 14, 2011 at 8:46:35 am

I never tried 4444, but I was able to import ProResLT (which is also not yet part of FCPX) without problems, so I guess all ProRes files should be accepted.

7D footage: "import from camera", point at the 7D folder (should be the same structure as on the CF card) and optimize media.It will be 422 and you cannot swap to 4444 (yet)

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Aug 14, 2011 at 2:10:00 pm

Just an aside, there isn't really any technical reason to use 4444 coming from 7D footage (unless you need the alpha channel). The 7D records 4:2:0 H.264, so all you are doing is taking up a ton of disk space and and gaining nothing in terms of image quality. Transcoding to a codec that can support higher color fidelity doesn't add fidelity or quality to images that never captured the information in the first place. You can save yourself a lot of trouble and just use 422, which itself is capable of handling double the color fidelity of your camera original footage.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 14, 2011 at 6:31:21 pm

Yup- zero reason for 4444 on 7D footage. HQ is more than enough quality to reproduce what's in the original H.264. Some folks would argue even in favor of plain ProRes- (the one with no suffix).

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

andrew blackman
on Aug 14, 2011 at 7:19:43 pm

thanks guys, that helps me alot. i was getting so confused since it wasnt accepting the 4444 file. I'll try importing straight from the camera so the file structure stays intact. I wanted the 4444 for more color depth. I have heard there is more data (the alpha channel) in it to color correct with? maybe i've been wrong.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 14, 2011 at 8:54:02 pm

I'm not sure why you are having the issue, but FCP X definitely accepts all flavors of ProRes including 4444. I have had no issues with Alexa PR4444 files, for instance.

Could it have something to do with frame rate or size? For example, the 7D can record 1920x1080 at 23.98 or 29.97, but also 1280x720 at 60 for slomo purposes. I have had no issues taking 5D files into FCP X (both original 1920x1080 H264 files and converted ProRes files).

I would still recommend external conversion to ProRes or ProResLT for optimum performance. If you want to use the H264 files, you should be able to simply copy the camera card contents to your hard drive and then directly import the .MOV files from that folder into FCP X.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

andrew blackman
on Aug 14, 2011 at 10:54:07 pm

this is what i thought FCPX was supposed to do. Edit with the native files from the 7d in h.264? I'll have to try and copy the file structure off the camera exactly to see if it works.

So you're telling me when I import the h.264 files i dont have to click the optimize media box? I import the h.264 file from the camera and work with the bigger file? which is what i would love to do.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 14, 2011 at 11:08:18 pm

[andrew blackman] "So you're telling me when I import the h.264 files i dont have to click the optimize media box? "

With my Canon 5D tests, I have a folder of 5D H.264 files that are NOT in the camera folder structure. I've simply imported the files as links (keeping original media) - no transcoding to optimized media or proxies and no automatic analysis on import.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

andrew blackman
on Aug 14, 2011 at 11:16:46 pm

hhhmmm, i dont know how i'm doin anything wrong then? I simply open a new project in FCPX then file->import->files and i choose the h.264 file from my hard drive. it then imports it and shows that red screen.

Return to posts index

andrew blackman
on Aug 14, 2011 at 11:43:11 pm

Nevermind, thankyou so much Oliver! i figured out my problem. I had previously gone into the preferences and changed the playback to proxy's only. Thats why everything wasn't working haha

thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 14, 2011 at 11:54:32 pm

[andrew blackman] "Nevermind, thankyou so much Oliver! i figured out my problem"

Good to hear. It's usually the little things ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Aug 15, 2011 at 3:51:28 am

[andrew blackman] "So you're telling me when I import the h.264 files i dont have to click the optimize media box?"

This is true. But I recall reading somewhere that your performance while editing may be improved if you are working in a ProRes format. When adding Effects, for example, FCP X will cause that portion of your video to be transcoded into ProRes anyway. So depending upon the processor power of your own configuration, you still may wish to optimize the media while working within the programme.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 14, 2011 at 9:09:16 pm

[andrew blackman] " I wanted the 4444 for more color depth."
You start with 8b/420 stuff and you get that packed in whatever codec you chose.
Just bigger files.

[andrew blackman] ". I have heard there is more data (the alpha channel) in it to color correct with? maybe i've been wrong."
Seems that you have no much idea on what is an Alpha Channel and what is for.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Sergio Perez
on Aug 15, 2011 at 7:16:21 am

Not true. Working in a higher codec can bring you benefits, like when doing titling, for example, or compositing. While its true you're working with a base "layer" that is limited in information, whatever you "add" to that layer "wins" with the better codec and colorspace.

If you want the absolute best quality for your footage, there's even a process to "upgrade it": use a software like Red Giant Denoiser or Neat Video, apply a very slight denoise on the footage, but on a 10 bit 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 timeline. What the denoising software will do is actually "fill" the lack of information of the channels and do a gradient on the whole pictore, effectively making use of the whole color and bit depth. There are examples of this on the internet. It may produce in certain extreme shots some artifacts, but you really do gain in picture quality. Do a search on youtube.

This process, however, takes time and disk space. But if its absolute quality you want, try it.

Content is what matters.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 15, 2011 at 10:03:25 am

[Sergio Perez] "Not true. Working in a higher codec can bring you benefits, like when doing titling, for example, or compositing. While its true you're working with a base "layer" that is limited in information, whatever you "add" to that layer "wins" with the better codec and colorspace."
Yes you heard something about those benefits, but you didn't catch it.

Working in a higher codec doesn't means a transcoding from the beginning by default.

Working in a higher codec basically means EDIT NATIVE and render as much Uncompressed as you can.

[Sergio Perez] "If you want the absolute best quality for your footage, there's even a process to "upgrade it": use a software like Red Giant Denoiser or Neat Video, apply a very slight denoise on the footage, but on a 10 bit 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 timeline"
You are right, but that "Chroma Smoothing' and de-noising must be done on the raw footage.
What kind of "Chroma Smoothing" will you do to your H264 once is Prores HQ or 444?
YOU MUST DO THIS when you transcode your 420 to 422 or 444.
Once your footage is 422 or 444 YOU CAN"T DO IT ANYMORE.

So that's the real CRAP of FCPX.
Force you to convert 8b/420 stuff as 10b/422 (COMPRESSED) while you lose the opportunity of de-noising a smoothing the raw stuff.
One generation lost and hours of transcoding just to make FCPX to work.
What FCPX should be doing is supporting native editing of all the crappy formats that needs transcoding.
Native editing makes a difference when considering a NLE as Pro or less pro.
rafael

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Aug 15, 2011 at 3:23:45 pm

FCP does not require transcoding. As Oliver said it edits H.264 as is. You can transcode if you wish, but the application does not need it to work.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Coming in 2011 "Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 15, 2011 at 6:59:56 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "FCP does not require transcoding. As Oliver said it edits H.264 as is. You can transcode if you wish, but the application does not need it to work."
You are right Tom.
I was thinking mostly on all the ACHD stuff.
rafael

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Aug 15, 2011 at 7:27:59 pm

Same with AVCHD media. I'm editing it quite easily. The only thing FCP does is rewrap it into QuickTime, which it does as the material is being copied off the memory card or archive. There is no transcode if you don't want it.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Coming in 2011 "Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 15, 2011 at 10:26:00 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "Same with AVCHD media. I'm editing it quite easily. The only thing FCP does is rewrap it into QuickTime, which it does as the material is being copied off the memory card or archive. There is no transcode if you don't want it."
Again, I was wrong about this.
You are right my Everio footage has been re-wrapped.
The funny thing is that now I can bring that stuff to FCP.7 without crashing.
Before, the only way was transcoding with Clip-Wrap.
Re-wrapping with Clip-Wrap never worked for that camera.
Thanks again.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]