FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Best NLE deal, but only for a limited time

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Warren
The Best NLE deal, but only for a limited time
on Aug 13, 2011 at 8:40:29 pm

It has been suggested by several pros that we should not rely on one NLE system in our work. If you're looking to follow that reasoning, may I suggest what I consider to the best, current deal in professional NLEs: Media 100 Suite v2.

The normal price is $995. It's is on sale for $595.

The Suite includes Boris RED, an After Effects-like tool that does compositing, special effects, titling and transitions.

What makes this Suite especially sweet is the price. Normally, Boris RED sells for $995 by itself, and the Media 100 Suite sells for the same price, which in itself is a great deal-it's like getting Media 100 for free.

But at $595, Media 100 Suite v2 blows away any current upgrade or cross-grade deal. And it's open to everyone, regardless of your current NLE, or even if you do not have an NLE.

With Media 100, you can import FCP sequences via XML. You can also export Media 100 timelines to After Effects.

Check out the details at http://www.Media100.com and http://www borisfx.com (for more RED info).

Media 100 is a very solid, stable, capable and professional editor. You can try it for free by downloading the 14 day trial.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
Re: The Best NLE deal, but only for a limited time
on Aug 14, 2011 at 1:26:50 am

I can see picking it up. I used to love the software. Maybe I will.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Aug 14, 2011 at 7:46:34 pm

I used M100 for about 3 years after coming from AVID. The way layers and transitions worked was so non-standard it was a deal breaker. ON the M100 site there is a demo how transitions work and I see it's the same old thing.

Improved, maybe, but it is much like FCP 7, AVID Premier and the rest...sort of old school without much going for it as a breakout app except the end of life for FCP.

I don't know a single company in our area (Upper Midwest USA) that uses M100. I know more Vegas editors.

Not knocking a good deal on decent software, but...

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Aug 15, 2011 at 2:45:08 am

I agree, I used Media 100 for several years and went to look at what was new. I looked at the tutorials and it look just like it did years ago. I'm sure their have been lots of advances but the A-B track thing is way to limited and I don't want to go into Boris to fly in text. But for a basic cuts, dissolves and fade in text it's a good option.

My favorite feature, it can open FCP projects. To bad X can't.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro Two 2.8GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe
FCS 3 OS X 10.6 QT 10

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Aug 15, 2011 at 9:38:24 pm

Hi Dave, with the new Media 100 Motion Editor you should be able to do some DVE tricks with text and clips right from the Media 100 timeline; it should not be necessary to engage RED as much as with past M100 versions.

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Aug 15, 2011 at 6:36:03 pm

I almost never use the A/B track transitions that you to which you refer. There are other ways, especially since M100 now supports 99 video tracks.

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Aug 15, 2011 at 6:41:30 pm

If you have the time, check out the 14 day trial. Since M100 supports 99 video tracks you aren't locked in to using the A/B track transition operation. That is one feature about M100 I am not crazy about, so I am able to get around using it pretty much all of the time.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 15, 2011 at 8:19:18 pm

Hey Marcus, does the version of Red that comes with the suite work with AVID/Adobe/FCS as well? and is it the latest version?

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Aug 15, 2011 at 9:34:33 pm

Boris RED v5 is the latest version and that is what ships with Media 100 Suite v2 and you can open that same Boris RED as a standalone application without opening Media 100.

RED does indeed work as a plug-in for the other editors you mentioned. My guess is that if you bought Media 100 Suite and you want RED to also work as a plug-in in other NLEs you might have to buy RED for those specific NLEs. I don't know that for sure so check with Boris FX.

But anything that you work up in RED when you use it as a standlone app, you can certainly export to other editors via Quicktime, etc.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 15, 2011 at 10:33:40 pm

Here's what Boris Support has to say:

Hi Chris,
The version of RED 5 that comes with Media100 Suite is only for use with
Media100.
It gets installed with the Media100 Suite install bundle and uses the
Media100 unlock code for registration.
The retail version of Boris RED 5 contains all of the Mac based host
installers.
Purchasing the retail version of RED allows you to install RED 5 into all
supported hosts on your Mac.

I think I might be MORE interested in Red. I could use the same plug-in set across all three of my existing editors.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Aug 16, 2011 at 3:25:42 am

Thanks for the info Marcus. I think M100 should have tutorials of the 99 track workflow if they want to get any FCP user interested.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro Two 2.8GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe
FCS 3 OS X 10.6 QT 10

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Aug 16, 2011 at 7:45:10 pm

Chris, if RED better suits your needs as opposed to Media 100 Suite, then I think that you will be very happy with RED and all of the tutorials on the Boris FX site. You will learn from all of the tutorials regardless of the NLE host that is featured in a particular lesson.

The BCC plug-in suite and RED share a lot of functionality, so even viewing the BCC tutorials will be of great benefit to you.

One of the reasons that I went for Media 100 is because it's bundled with RED so I understand your "affection" for RED.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 16, 2011 at 8:04:30 pm

Marcus, I've used BCC for at least the last six years. Because of FCP X, I'm beginning a slow migration to Avid, and am considering RED since it will plugin to FCS/MediaComposer/Premiere all off the same installation. I wish there were a BCC cross-grade to Avid, because frankly I've been pretty happy with those filters, but not happy enough to maintain three distinct versions on three separate NLEs. I can probably do just fine with the semi-limited BCC content on RED.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 16, 2011 at 8:48:28 pm

Weirdly, I forgot that Media Composer comes with BCC. I'm sitting here taking tutorials, and suddenly realized that I don't NEED to buy BCC. I wonder how upgradable it is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]