FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX behaving badly on a mac pro.. but screaming like a lion on a core I5 macbook pro? What to do?!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Nikon
FCPX behaving badly on a mac pro.. but screaming like a lion on a core I5 macbook pro? What to do?!
on Aug 12, 2011 at 2:56:46 pm

So I have a work computer ... < Mac Pro, 8 core, 16gb ram, 8 tb storage. partitioned with 1 drive split into snow leopard and lion.. 2 drives raid media storage and 1 drive as a back up... GT120 Graphics card.>

I am experiencing some some odd behavior out of it when in FCPX.. my playback is stuttering, or jumpy..
I have tried optimized media and what not.. the file I am working with was a animation file from After Efx..
but, same holds true for a 720HD H.264 video I had... it was made good by optimizing... but, still not 100 % good... now I know FCPX can do it.. I have a 13" MBP core I5 with 4gb memory at home and it screams!.. well.. ok its more like a squirell screech.. but still far better than the performance I get out of the Mac Pro..

even the "looks" in the Effects tab when you scroll over them .. on the mbp it is seamless.. on the mac pro it jumps and I get a loader that appears in the window usually at least half or better of the time I have to seemingly wake it up. I do not have this on the MBP.

Any Advise?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX behaving badly on a mac pro.. but screaming like a lion on a core I5 macbook pro? What to do?!
on Aug 12, 2011 at 3:35:47 pm

MacPro running in 64bit?

What MacPro do you have exactly?

Return to posts index

Josh Nikon
Re: FCPX behaving badly on a mac pro.. but screaming like a lion on a core I5 macbook pro? What to do?!
on Aug 16, 2011 at 1:04:41 pm

Mac Pro 4,1 ...8 core 2.66

64 bit is enabled. running osx lion.

I also was concerned about the Graphics Card... any info about this?

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Aug 12, 2011 at 4:35:33 pm

I assume you have the Mac Pro (early 2009 edition). Seems to speak volumes about the power of the latest Intel i-series processors compared to the older Xeon processors. Rest assured the next release of the Mac Pro will beat your portable, but not much you can do other than perhaps using an updated graphics card (and running 64-bit as Josh mentioned).

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Aug 12, 2011 at 6:07:02 pm

Assuming apple actually will update the towers and not discontinue them...

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Cory Caplan
on Aug 15, 2011 at 4:50:40 am

I would bet that the GT120 is the issue here... FCP X loads some serious work to the GPU, I think, and that's kind of an 'entry level' card... Even my earlier 4870 really gets dramatically better opencl benchmarks.. I think your machine works with the GTX 285 (or whatever that fast mac GTX card is...) That would probably give you a boost, I'd think...

Return to posts index

Josh Nikon
on Aug 17, 2011 at 3:22:38 pm

I have to agree about the GT120 card.. what would be a best video card I can run under a thousand bucks ?? ATI 5870?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]