FORUMS: list search recent posts

No video in viewer after edit.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hugh Howlett
No video in viewer after edit.
on Aug 11, 2011 at 1:33:34 pm

FCPX keeps putting random 1 frame gaps in between some edits, and if it delete it I lose all video in my viewer. It's just black as I play through the timeline (i still have sound though). The only way I can get my video viewer back is to highlight everything in the time line, copy, delete, and paste it all. And then as I edit these random 1 frame gaps start appearing again.

It's not just deleting the gaps that cause the video to go. on many clips, just adjusting the edit point will do it. And sometimes making another edit will fix it.

All event video is the same (prores 442). Timeline settings are 1080p, 30p, ProRes 442 (same as even media). It does it with playback in proxy and native media, even after everything's rendered.

Any advice please, this is getting really frustrating!

Return to posts index

Geoff Dills
Re: No video in viewer after edit.
on Aug 11, 2011 at 2:50:48 pm

Curious if this happened after using the opacity slider to create a picture fade then changed your mind and moved it back to zero. I had this happen and found I had to replace the clip in order for the one black frame at the end of the clip to disappear.

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Hugh Howlett
on Aug 11, 2011 at 5:03:18 pm

The black frame seems to have stopped, but still losing all video in the viewer after every edit. Quitting and re-opening FCPX fixes it.

As you can understand, having to restart the application after every edit it not ideal!

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on Aug 12, 2011 at 2:14:34 am

[Hugh Howlett] "As you can understand, having to restart the application after every edit it not ideal!"

Well apple promised to change the way editing is done.

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 21, 2011 at 7:49:03 pm

Was it inserting black frames into the media or render of the media itself? Or were there discrete black frames visible on the timeline? I ask because on a recent FCP7 project I was transcoding from a DVCproHD@24fps to PAL SD, and I got persistent, intermittent black frames inserted at seemingly random points. In compressor, I had no such problem. This happened after FCP X installation and removal.

Return to posts index

Hugh Howlett
on Aug 21, 2011 at 7:54:51 pm

The black frames are being inserted in the timeline, not the media itself. And they are visible once zoomed in. Deleting on can disable the video, or even put it back.

I've tried moving the project to another computer and the problem still occurs.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 21, 2011 at 8:10:40 pm

Wow. I wish I had an answer for you.

Return to posts index

Aaron Wells
on Aug 21, 2011 at 1:52:29 pm

Having the same type of issues here - frame gaps, black frames inserted, video disappearing after an edit. Other projects don't seem to have this problem. Tried duplicating project but that doesn't help. Maybe there's a piece of media FXPX doesn't like? Anyone come up with a solution...?

Thanks!

Aaron

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Return to posts index

Cullen Hoback
on Nov 5, 2011 at 3:51:38 am

I have been suffering from this problem. My viewer would go black completely after random edits. It seemed once my project hit a certain size (not using proxy or optimized media) that the viewer would go black, or the frame would just lock. Audio would still play.
I have the latest everything. I called apple and they had no explanation. They tried having me reset the video card on the computer.
From what I can tell, this has something to do with there being a maximum amount of non-native footage that any one system can handle.
It may have something to do with using too much of a certain file type, until the threshold is reached.

My solution?

I broke my project in half and started editing the second half on a separate timeline, compiling them at the end.

It works.

If I could go back in time, I would never have started editing with this garbage program.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]