FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some clips showing up audio only inside FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Neil
Some clips showing up audio only inside FCP X
on Aug 8, 2011 at 7:51:11 pm

Hi everyone.

I have a project that I'm redoing in FCP X to get a better feel for it. It's a short, simple project, but has many elements to it in both HD and SD. I media managed it out of FCP 7 and then imported all the files into X.

In general, everything came in fine. However, a couple of clips originally digitized as DV/NTSC show up as audio only clips in X when clearly they have video attached. Has anyone else seen this happen?

If I run the offending clip through compressor into the same codec, it imports with video as it should. But the media managed clip does not. Just to clarify, the media managed clip was copied, not recompressed from FCP 7. So it's not been adjusted by FCP 7 other than when it was first digitized.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Haukur Hauksson
Re: Some clips showing up audio only inside FCP X
on Aug 8, 2011 at 11:15:41 pm

I had that happen with SD clips that I live captured in FCP 6... Still have not found what is causing that. I have hundreds of hours of that format on my hard drives. The only way that I have found is to run it through compressor.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:02:27 am

Now that you mention it, I believe the affected clips were digitized in FCP 6 as well. It didn't mess up with all of them, only a few. Still, interesting to know that there might be some incompatibility with the QT file in earlier versions of FCP.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Rozendal
on Sep 15, 2011 at 8:07:50 am

I'm noticing the same thing with SD clips captured in FCP7. It appears in particular to affect long clips. If I record a short clip for a few seconds it shows up in quicktime as audio & video together. I think it relates to how FCP is closing large files. I haven't solved the problem yet but here are some observations / workarounds.

If you open the clip in Quicktime player (and it appears to be audio-only), say Save As, choose Movie, and just save it as a new file, it doesn't take too long and the new clip now appears in Quicktime with both audio and video.
You can do something similar with Compressor.

Return to posts index

Dan Wierling
on Dec 29, 2011 at 8:47:45 pm

This post is well after the original on this topic, so hoping you all found a cause and cure.
I have transferred (3) 1.5 hour tapes into FCP 6.06 using standard NTSC DV presets as usual and then upon capture completed, copied the resulting quicktime .mov file to an external drive.
The files play fine as a qt movie file with audio and video. Then I imported into FCPX to do editing and one of the files shows only the audio. The other two, captured the same way, work fine.
If I GET INFO on the bad file on my Intel Mac Pro, the thumbnail shows the proper preview and even plays correctly, but the file shows only the audio codec and proper length of the file.
I have the default quicktime app for OSX Lion and I also installed Quicktime 7 in the utilities folder. Any new ideas about this?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]