FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scrubber bar in FCPX? Or a decent way to seek within a long clip?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jose Castillo
Scrubber bar in FCPX? Or a decent way to seek within a long clip?
on Aug 8, 2011 at 6:38:08 pm

Forgive me if this is redundant; I searched the manual and the web and couldn't find anything.

In FCP6 there was a scrubber bar at the bottom of the viewer. It was quite useful as I have some hourlong interviews, and it made it easy to move around quickly to find the general vicinity of a quote. From there I could make a three point edit into the timeline. In FCPX, though, there seems to be no scrubber bar. Is there any way to seek quickly within in a long clip without using the ridiculous "filmstrip" view?

So far the only thing I can figure is to load my source clip into the timeline, which gives me room to scrub around. But that's useless for three point editing, as I can't insert something into my project timeline from that view. Any help would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Scrubber bar in FCPX? Or a decent way to seek within a long clip?
on Aug 8, 2011 at 7:46:15 pm

I was going to mention the Open in Timeline option but it sounds like you've already found it. It's too bad that it doesn't seem to be connected at all with the browser version of the clip. Open in Timeline could actually be very useful for the reason you'd like to use if for if it only transfered IN/OUT ranges, markers and such to the browser clip. As it is, it seems to be creating a temporary Compound Clip that only transfers things like effects and adjustments to audio and video layers.

My best suggestion is this:

Close the Event Library window (CMD+SHIFT+1) and the inspector (CMD+4) so that you're left with only the Event browser and Viewer. Then switch the view to list view so you have only one filmstrip at the top of the Event Browser.

Then go through your hour-long clip and break it up with Tags. Just mark In/Out ranges of manageable chunks and assign it a Tag. For example John Smith INTV. Just make 5-10 min chunks and give it that tag. You can assign the tag quickly by making it one of the 9 shortcut keys (CTL+1-9). Once the hour long INTV is tagged, go to the collection and you'll have the entire interview in a series of manageable clips that will be much easier to scrub through.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Jose Castillo
on Aug 8, 2011 at 10:08:30 pm

Wow, thanks! The single filmstrip on top of the list view is exactly the kind of control I was looking for. Especially with the smaller chunks, it's much more manageable than the multiline filmstrip (which ends up, in this case, being page after page of one guy's face).

Appreciate the help!

- Joey Castillo

Return to posts index

Lewis Stiefel
on Aug 15, 2011 at 3:21:48 am

Hi Andy

I have a different question for you. How...or is it even possible to use a transition on clips
that are stacked...in other words not on the primary story line. I have tried and can't seem
to perform what should be a simple task.

Thanks for your time

Lew Stiefel
lstiefel2@verizon.net

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 15, 2011 at 5:37:27 pm

Yeah, not sure why you can't add transitions to connected clips, but there is a workaround. Make the connected clips into a compound clip. Then you can add transitions.

Return to posts index

Ray Wang
on Aug 8, 2011 at 8:19:25 pm

Is this what you are looking for?

1. Show Event on second monitor (optional)
2. Adjust the time scale in the Event viewer to 1 second to get a long clip

This will give you room to scrub around

---
Ray

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Aug 9, 2011 at 9:28:36 am

Another tip:
As mentioned for very long clips List view is good, because you have one long line for the clip. Use skimming and you just hover through the clip.

When listening to it and finding nice quotes in the interview, mark the quote and hit "F".....now this quote is a "Favorite" and has a green bar on that section. While you are at it you can give it a keyword, so it is in its own bin. This is useful if several people speak about the same subject. If you want to have all quotes regarding the rainy weather.....go to the RAINY WEATHER bin and they are all there, already set with I/O just like subclips were in FCP.

And you can also put the RAINY WEATHER keyword to your B-roll footage. Then make a smart collection for the keywords B-ROLL & RAINY WEATHER and it is collected in its own bin.

And your original clip has several green F-areas in the end. All these favourite areas can be selected by clicking the green bars in the filmstrip. This selects the I/O for that favourite range and you can 3-point-edit it from there.

For managing long interviews FCPX is a huge step forward IMO.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 9, 2011 at 11:40:40 am

Agreed use list view and the long filmstrip works very well for quick scrubbing, simply use the up and down arrow keys to run through your clips. Not having to click on a clip to load it into a viewer does save time when you have lots of clips to go through

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Aug 9, 2011 at 4:00:05 pm

yea but not being able to use up and down to navigate in and outs on a clip really stinks.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 9, 2011 at 6:38:10 pm

SHIFT I and O to jump to IN/OUT points in your clip.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]