FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Preferences Not Working

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reid Alt
FCPX Preferences Not Working
on Aug 8, 2011 at 2:05:08 am

Hello.

This is my first post in the forums, but I've used the site a lot for problems in the past. So first off, thanks for all the help this site has provided thus far. It's been an invaluable asset.

On to my question:

In Apple's Final Cut Pro X, whenever you import footage to create a new Event, the default is for FCPX to create a new copy of the media and save in the Movies > Final Cut Events > Your Event Name folder. It also transcodes all media you import (I'm assuming to ProRes422??).

I do not need duplicates of all my files saved to my computer, but even after going into Final Cut Pro > Preferences and unchecking the Copy Files to Final Cut Events folder, it's still doing it. The same goes for the automatic media transcode. I've unchecked the Create Optimized Media and Create Proxy Media from the Preferences menu, but it still attempts to transcode all my footage. And when I'm importing entire weddings at once (some of which are AVCHD and some of which are DSLR .MOV files), this can take an eternity. Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss a step?

I'm a relatively new Apple user, so I'm not so certain that I've done everything right. But from everywhere else I've looked online, I can't be too far off. It's just so frustrating to have duplicates everywhere, taking up valuable HDD space.

Thanks in advance for any and all answers to my questions. Sorry if this post already exists - like I said, new to the forums, and the search yielded no results.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
Re: FCPX Preferences Not Working
on Aug 8, 2011 at 8:56:25 am

FCP X is pretty buggy as you've discovered.

If you haven't done this already I suggest you trash the FCP X preference files. ( thank's to Larry Jordan )

Quit FCP X

1. Open Library in home folder

2. Open preferences

3. Find these 2 preference files and trash them.

com.apple.FinalCut.LSSharedFileList.plist
com.apple.FinalCut.plist

Empty the trash

Re Launch FCP X and see if it has sorted out your problem.

( NB. take care not to trash - com.apple.finalcutpro.plist - that's a preference file for FCP 7 or earlier.

Mark Dobson
Producer and Director
Alembic TV
http://www.alembic.tv

Return to posts index

Reid Alt
on Aug 8, 2011 at 9:20:31 am

Thanks for the reply!

So, I did what you said (after I found out how to restore the Library folder in my Home folder [Apple removed it in OS 10.7 Lion - lovely]), and then rebooted FCPX and imported some footage. It still copied my footage into my Movies > Final Cut Events folder.

Thanks for the help though. I just can't wrap my head around how this kind of stuff wouldn't have gotten bug tested. I'm really hoping that this kind of crap gets fixed in future releases.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 8, 2011 at 12:09:50 pm

Avchd is going to be transcoded no matter what.

The dslr stuff should come in with no transcoding.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Oren Shomron
on Aug 8, 2011 at 3:20:05 pm

Check if your disk usage is actually going up - I believe it makes hard links to the original files - which does not take up more space.

- Oren

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Aug 8, 2011 at 11:18:28 pm

Could you get info on one of those files? If it has a hook arrow as part of it's icon - it's an alias - not a full copy. FCPX makes aliases at the finder level for non-copied footage.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Reid Alt
on Aug 8, 2011 at 11:46:40 pm

It appears to be full-on files. An example:

The source file of a 18 second clip I have is 45.1 MBs, in AVCHD. In the Movies > Final Cut Events folder, the same clip is now classified as a .MOV file, and is 45.6 MBs.

I am just getting so tired and not having any clue why this is happening. Thanks again for all the past and future help. I'm starting to wonder why I waited so long to join this forum in the first place... :)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:59:48 am

As I said before, AVCHD will always transcode to ProRes.

FCPx will always make a QuickTime movie if the original footage is not QuickTime, which includes almost everything tapeless.

Return to posts index

Reid Alt
on Aug 9, 2011 at 1:14:17 am

That shouldn't be the case if I uncheck the preference for FCPX to do so. Apple even says that FCPX can edit native ACVHD files, so I know that's not true.

Can't find the Apple document, but I did find some decent information: http://www.shedworx.com/final-cut-pro-x-avchd-support

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 9, 2011 at 2:04:26 am

If you read that article and my post, it creates a QuickTime Movie. It does not edit the files natively, meaning it makes a copy. It's exactly what you are seeing.

Return to posts index

Reid Alt
on Aug 9, 2011 at 2:10:16 am

But that article doesn't mention anything about being able to turn auto-conversion off or on. Since the setting allows for the program to stop making those .MOV files, that's what I'm looking to do. The article and your post only reference how FCPX works under preset standards, and that's what I'm trying to get disabled.

Return to posts index

Reid Alt
on Aug 9, 2011 at 2:19:14 am

Crap, the more and more digging I am doing, the more it looks like FCPX won't edit AVCHD natively, even though everything I read beforehand (even from Apple!) indicated that it would. Well, that sucks. I guess I'm just gonna keep all the footage on an external HDD and import the footage from there, creating only one copy on my internal iMac hard drive. I suppose that's a solution, but I just don't like the idea of double importing.

I'll leave the thread as unanswered for a little bit longer, in hopes that someone may be able to prove me wrong (or right?) and that I've just been missing one simple step. Thanks a lot for all the help, everyone.

Return to posts index

Geoff Dills
on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:59:23 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "As I said before, AVCHD will always transcode to ProRes. "

When I examined the info on a FCPX clip I imported from an AVCHD file, it says it's 1920x1080 H.264, Linear PCM, Timecode. Seems it's still in it's original codec with a quicktime movie wrapper.

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 9, 2011 at 1:44:41 pm

Yes, sorry. I was wrong about that.

It still wraps to a QT movie, just got the codec wrong! ;)

Apologies,

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Martijn Schroevers
on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:06:11 pm

I use a 128 GB SSD as my root drive for speed and a 10 TB RAID for my Media. How do I avoid FCPX transcoding (or copying any files) to the Root drive??

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:35:26 pm

Create your projects and Events on the Raid.

Best,

Jeff G

------------
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com

Return to posts index

Martijn Schroevers
on Aug 9, 2011 at 4:46:56 pm

Jeff,

I DID put my projects and Events on the RAID. It's just that FCPX transcodes any DSLR H264 footage automatically to the movies folder on your root drive. The only way it seems to me to avoid that is NOT to transcode. Is there any fix for that??

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Aug 9, 2011 at 5:19:27 pm

I haven't seen this behavior - I'll double check. Right now I have NOTHING on my internal drive - no projects, nor events.

Nope. Just pulled in a QuickTime and some media from a DSLR - both put media where my event is - on an external media drive. Had it copy media over, create transcoded and proxy media.

There's no FCPX media in my User's Movies (although there is thumbnails and audio peaks.

Best,

Jeff G

------------

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 9, 2011 at 7:49:16 pm

You must not be adding the new media to your current events or projects, but rather new events.

Please take a screengrab of where they are in your Movies folder, and also of your events browser.

Media follows the event and render files follow the projects.

When you import media, you have a choice in which event and drive to put it on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]