FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple quote

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Dills
Apple quote
on Aug 5, 2011 at 8:33:47 pm

Found this gem in an article about Lion having quotes from the book of Jobs:

"Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the [square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.] - Apple Inc."

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Apple quote
on Aug 5, 2011 at 8:36:53 pm

Yes- that is an Apple TV commercial I believe. I always figured it was a quote from somewhere.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Aug 5, 2011 at 8:47:36 pm

I can't read that and not hear Richard Dreyfuss' voice speaking it in my head.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 5, 2011 at 9:07:20 pm

"Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.] - Apple Inc"

Apart from Apple's shameless self-involved conceit, the problem is that with the real crazies who change the world you never know who your going to get; Lenin or Ghandi.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 5, 2011 at 9:23:29 pm

Stalin or Ghandi would be more appropriate.

Return to posts index

Don Scioli
on Aug 5, 2011 at 9:42:12 pm

Hitler or Einstein.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 5, 2011 at 9:43:20 pm

Stalin wasn't the revolutionary, he was the follower. Robespierre, Qaddafi, or Castro would work, as would Adolph, but that's going too far.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Aug 5, 2011 at 10:01:36 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Lenin or Ghandi."

Herb

Just wanted to bring to your attention that its Gandhi not Ghandi. Later translates to female hippopotamus in Hindi(National language of India, one that Gandhi himself spoke in). lol

Sohrab

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 5, 2011 at 10:13:01 pm

Thanks for the correction, I never could spell.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 5, 2011 at 11:16:11 pm

I have not read all the posts, so please forgive me if I am repeating or going off subject.

Yea - I know that broadcast televsion is doomed, and that everything one day will be on the web, and conforming to broadcast standards will mean nothing 20 years from now. But in the mean time, I HAVE TO MAKE A LIVING, and I have to deliver what clients require. And if FCP X represents what "will be" in the future - well, that's great, but I can't make money with it right now.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Aug 5, 2011 at 11:26:27 pm

Nor can I. I'm Interested. I'm open. But I'm not hearing anything that tells me I will be able
to continue to make a living with X. The very few words emitting from Cupertino do not make
me optimistic about this.

bigpine

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Aug 6, 2011 at 12:09:15 am

Oh come on boys ....obviously you guys aren't the "Change the World" types..... Apple is showing us the way, just follow and be happy we have them to determine what the future of editing will look like. All you guys who want an editing program you can use to make a living ...... a program filled with your "practical ideas" are just getting in the way of real progress. If they had listened to you, they would have come out with a program filled with all your "I need this today" ideas.... a program you could adapt into your current workflow effortlessly .... a program that integrated the best new technology with the workflow we use today.... a program you could make money with.... what fun would would that have been? With FCP-X you get to see the future today! How cool is that!

Bill Paris
Producer/Director of Photography
Crew Hawaii Television
http://www.crewhawaii.com

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Aug 6, 2011 at 12:11:04 am

What are you talking about?

bigpine

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 6, 2011 at 2:41:42 am

Ah, Brother Bill; you have shown me the light!

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Aug 6, 2011 at 7:17:15 pm

I was kidding ..... just trying to have a little fun with this.

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 6, 2011 at 8:36:32 pm

No, I totally got it. I thought it was quite funny.

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Aug 6, 2011 at 10:47:27 pm

Thanks Chris.... for a minute I thought it was completely misunderstood!

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 7, 2011 at 12:27:16 am

In the original copy of this promotion Apple included the line, "We make tools for these people."
It seems they have lost the difference.

One of the great mistakes made throughout history is throwing out what was organic, ergonomic, historic about the old workflow to make room for new innovation. BOTH/AND not EITHER/OR. True genius is not disrespectful of its history. Einstein revolutionized physics but Newtonian physics is still around and Einstein obviously studied it before disproving parts of it and going beyond.
Sooner or later the old way comes back in fashion in some form. I don’t mean an evolutionary advancement of the same idea. Cheaper faster storage drives faster computers all good. Software not being able to read the previous generation’s projects. Irresponsible, arrogant, ruling class, anti-innovation. There are times that a hand drill works better than an electric one. A Teflon pan for omelets is a good innovation. For almost everything else, it’s a step backward. But they are good for business. Sooner than later the coating wears off and customers buy a whole new set. In the process, their cooking skills diminish.

I see nothing revolutionary about FC X. There are some nice new features and obviously the code is written for modern computer systems. That’s evolution. But throwing out a developed language set and workflow for another is counterproductive. If the language evolved with the times that’s evolution. Throwing out a language set arbitrarily is arrogance. Cloud distribution is revolutionary for the arts and all forms of communication. But as a storage archiving production system it has serious flaws at the moment. Security being one. Archiving being another. A developed business model being a third. There has never been a great way to archive artistic works. They fade. They get stolen. They get mistranslated. They get lost. They get destroyed. I think computers hold at least the promise to create a preservation system. But to do so requires each generation of software/hardware to import the old projects. Otherwise you have huge missing links.

I think its good to help new editors by creating software that is easier to learn. In FCP 1-7 a common early frustration for new editors and videographers editing their own work was the need for handles. You don’t want to throw out the concept of handles. Camera operators should use pre rolls and post rolls. Talent should allow for these extra few moments before and after. But it would have been not so difficult for the pop up when a new editor tried to apply a transition to explain the problem rather than just saying: “not enough media.” It could easily give the option to adjust the edit points x number of frames to accomplish this. If the results suck. Undo. You’ve now learned why we use handles and why in and out points in a nondestructive workflow is cooler than cutting up the footage into smaller clips. I think the non-collision of the magnetic timeline can be pretty cool. It could be added to FCP 7 as a toggled button like linking or snapping is now. Personally I see snapping as magnetic behavior and the magnetic timeline as a sort of auto tracking. Like a train switching to a parallel track to avoid collisions.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 6, 2011 at 11:06:58 pm

"if FCP X represents what "will be" in the future - well, that's great, but I can't make money with it right now."

That covers about 70% of the content of this forum, with 20% saying just keep working with FCP7 till X is ready, and 10% Aindreas Gallagher speaking in tongues.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]