COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
Let’s get ready to rumble…
on Aug 5, 2011 at 6:13:55 pm

FCP 7 VS FCP X

And in this corner ...
Two experienced professional FC editors
begin with identical systems having already imported the same clips/media.
ROUND 1

FCP 7 editor creates a short but complex sequence in FCP 7.
FCP X editor duplicates the storyline in FCP X.

ROUND 2

FCP 7 editor reedits the sequence.
FCP X editor recreates the changes.

ROUND 3
(Using the same media.)

FCP X editor creates a short but complex storyline in FCP X.
FCP 7 editor duplicates the sequence in FCP 7.

ROUND 4

FCP X editor reedits the storyline.
FCP 7 editor recreates the changes.

I’ll bet this gets a huge number of hits.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: Let’s get ready to rumble…
on Aug 5, 2011 at 6:45:14 pm

you know that's a really great idea - all rounds get full screen captures from each competitor, would make no end of interesting watching to see how a committed professional on each software package gets their business done, both will have points to prove... soft of layer tennis for the FCPX wars?

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Aug 5, 2011 at 6:46:15 pm

Is there supposed to be a link in here Craig?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Coming in 2011 "Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 6, 2011 at 12:32:04 am

No. But I was hoping you'd be one of the judges.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Aug 5, 2011 at 9:06:19 pm

Love it!!!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 5, 2011 at 11:07:26 pm

Cool.

But where are you going to find the FCP-7 professional who's only had 3 months or less to master the software?

(you do require such comparisons to control for variables, right?

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Nelson Torres
on Aug 5, 2011 at 11:31:48 pm

Is three months not long enough to master FCPX? I thought it had innovated the post process so that a monkey could edit?

@NSLog "Joking";

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 6, 2011 at 12:35:11 am

I told you this could be a hit. We already have fans lining up in support of one side or the other.

My original idea for this was not about comparing specific NLE apps but rather an Iron Chef, America Got Balls, or Dance, or Idol reality TV contest type show with editors being given raw footage and a time limit to make something of it. Personally, I could live without the contest part of contest shows and would find just watching different people producing different results interesting. Be it cooking, designing, editing, singing, whatever. I personally would like to see more of the techniques that go into the craft instead of the melodrama of who wants to win and how much it means to them. But people like winners and losers and even controversial decisions. Hell our Government has decided the fate of the country should be determined using a win lose paradigm.

I modified my idea here to include reproducing someone else’s edit, which is a film school practice activity and the head to head workflow of one app compared to another.

The part of the contest that would be interesting to me, and I assume anyone else on the fence about where to go from here, is what David has been talking about – the NLE UI as both a metaphor and a spatial workflow reality. What plays well for what? It would also be really cool to see the raw footage and what talented editors make of it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 5, 2011 at 11:32:12 pm

I started thus before I read your post:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/13465

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
Re: Let's get ready to rumble!
on Aug 5, 2011 at 11:32:50 pm

Round 5

FCP 7 Editor exports sequence to HDCAM to send to HBO
FCX Editor uploads storyline to YouTube

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 5, 2011 at 11:59:45 pm

[MIke Guidotti] "FCX Editor uploads storyline to YouTube"

You must have meant HBO Go! :-D

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Aug 7, 2011 at 4:08:34 pm

Nope. Not an option in FCX.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 7, 2011 at 4:26:38 pm

Let's assume some features will be added to X. What I would find interesting is the different way X works with media. Is this different way of working a step forward, back, or just different?

As X stands now, it is not usable in many pro situations. That's already been determined.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Aug 7, 2011 at 4:48:24 pm

Remember what happened last time we assumed what Apple was going to do. It came back to bite us in the rear.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 7, 2011 at 4:50:49 pm

What last time?

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Aug 7, 2011 at 8:57:35 pm

Last time we saw the preview of FCX (missing a ton of stff) but assumed that Apple was going to keep the features we used daily.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]