FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP-X - Apple's most successful launch ever?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
FCP-X - Apple's most successful launch ever?
on Aug 5, 2011 at 5:33:19 pm

Trying to find time to come back here every day or so I'm constantly surprised at the sheer number of posts compared to the other boards I frequent.

Which reminded me of something profound that I learned some years back.

I have an adopted son who when through a difficult patch in his mid teens. (He's much better now, thank heavens!) But in one group therapy session the leader asked this question. "What's the opposite of love?" Most fell into the easy trap of responding "Hate." The therapist waited until one of us got the correct answer. "Indifference."

So to both the lovers and the haters of FCP-X - thank you all.

Reminds me of just how smart PT Barnum was being when he said "I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right."

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: FCP-X - Apple's most successful launch ever?
on Aug 5, 2011 at 6:00:33 pm

Wow, Bill, really grasping at straws here, aren't you? Comparing human relationships to software released by a company that has caused people to, by and large, consider where the new workflow is headed and whether or not they think it will be worthwhile for their business is not the same thing at all.

Besides, by your definition "New Coke" was a hit as well.

You need more time to think these posts through.

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Aug 5, 2011 at 6:50:36 pm

He didn't say it was a hit. Perhaps you should read it again.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 5, 2011 at 7:05:11 pm

You are wrong. He IS saying it was a hit. The whole story was about how love/hate are two sides of the same coin and that because we're discussing the pros/cons of the software (some of us more passionately than others) that makes it a "hit" because if it wasn't, we'd be indifferent.

It's really just silly, though.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Aug 5, 2011 at 8:42:08 pm

Actually Gary he's not.
He doesn't once mention the software being a hit - You did, not him.
He's talking bout the buzz around the launch.
He offered an interesting non-judgemental thought posed in the form of a question

Bill's simple (and as a communications strategist) accurate point is that it has created enormous buzz including by the COWs standards. And then he quoted an oft used PT Barnum reference, which we've used many times in political consulting - there's no such thing as bad press.

These are general, broad points and that's all Bill was reflecting on.

And his header ends with a question mark.

He posed an interesting question.
You responded with the same emotional responses that he's pointing out including two personal comments about "grasping at straws" and that he needs more time before he posts.

If you've got a good point I, for one, would respect it more if your weren't angry and personal in making it.

I've read a number of Bill's posts and I don't recall him ever responding that way.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 5, 2011 at 9:12:04 pm

[Jim Giberti]If you've got a good point I, for one, would respect it more if your weren't angry and personal in making it.

So pointing out a terrible analogy is angry and personal? You are making an incredibly wrong assumption about my post, Jim.

And where is this "He never said it was a hit" nonsense coming from? His point was quite clear that love/hate are two sides of the same coin, and thus Apple's launch is a success because here we are talking about FCPX. Just because he doesn't come outright and say "I think it's a hit!" doesn't mean he didn't say it.

"Subtlety" does exist, you know. Though while that post attempted, it was still pretty obvious.

I've read a number of Bill's posts and I don't recall him ever responding that way.

Oh, please. Bill can be just as snarky as the rest of us. He just thinks he hides it better.

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Aug 5, 2011 at 6:01:40 pm

Well Bill, I suspect the huge volume of posts the last few months has a direct connection to editors feeling concerned about their workflows now that Apple has changed the game so drastically.

If Apple had simply released a milquetoast FCP v8, editors would have been disappointed, vented, and moved on.

Personally, I keep checking in here at the Cow, hoping for some sort of miraculous resolution to this drama. I'm looking at having to jump ship to Adobe or Avid; not something I would have imagined in my wildest dreams. Expensive, distracting, and could have been avoided.

So, I think I will disagree with you; very bad news (end-of-lifing FCP7 and assorted pro apps) and the strong reaction to it is never a good thing.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 5, 2011 at 6:48:33 pm

you left out "profound irritation" bill, I'm not sure what it's the opposite of, but one or two may be harbouring that emotion...

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

John Christie
on Aug 5, 2011 at 9:36:53 pm

[Bill Davis] "Reminds me of just how smart PT Barnum was being when he said "I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right.""

Bill, PT also put up a sign saying "This way to the egress" to encourage people to quickly leave the exhibit tent hoping for something better outside. Kinda like Apple is encouraging us all to leave FCP.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 5, 2011 at 10:25:36 pm

Oh for crying out loud people. Enough with the fancy talk. The definition of ANTONYM is Opposite. The antonym of love is hate. It's not indifference or apathy. Opposites are opposites. Definitions are definitions.

Saying indifference is the opposite of love is like saying maybe is the opposite of yes. I don't buy it. Pretty language that makes you think, yes. But opposite, no.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Aug 5, 2011 at 11:37:21 pm

I find the loyalty to Apple products amazing! Not the products themselves but the loyalty. It's almost as if many FCP users are anthropomorphizing their computer and software and thinks of them like a friend.

Your typical Avid user looks at the software as a tool (a very powerful tool) because that's what it is.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Aug 6, 2011 at 12:38:17 am

Definitely a better creative approach than making it an enemy.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 6, 2011 at 3:48:07 am

[Jim Giberti]Definitely a better creative approach than making it an enemy.

And who is making it an enemy, exactly? I agree with Mike here and this loyalty that borders on an almost religious awe for a software company is quite puzzling. I don't think anyone is actually angry at FCPX, but angry at Apple for so gleefully playing with people's livelihoods and making them make a choice between editing platforms by EOLing FCP7.

Both you and Bill need to stop with the ridiculous hyperbole.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Aug 6, 2011 at 4:26:12 am

Bill it was a joke and you are way too aggressive in your tone.
I understand that you're angry about FCP X but take it down a notch or three.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 6, 2011 at 5:18:30 am

Just because you keep repeating that mantra doesn't mean you are correct.

you are way too aggressive in your tone. I understand that you're angry about FCP X but take it down a notch or three.

reads as "you don't agree with what I say so you must be taking it personally."

These kinds of remarks don't help anything, Jim.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Aug 7, 2011 at 8:57:23 pm

You are insulting his dear friend Apple.

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Aug 6, 2011 at 8:26:07 am

Indifference is hate - perfected over time. It is the form of hate that requires the least energy.

It's not like Apple needs to create buzz.
In a business' life cycle, the "any kind of press is good press" only applies to the beginning stages, when "brand awareness" is critical to marketing.
That worked best when people had limited access to other people's reactions/experiences with a product. (Not so much anymore, when researching anything takes less than 5 minutes, and brand awareness is quickly converted to appreciation for Consumer Reports or Rotten Tomatoes for saving your a$$.)

[The only exception I can think of is in entertainment, where negative news about a tiger mauling a trainer might enhance the sense of danger to be experienced at a circus - for instance. But that's because the product being sold is tied to the negative concept of danger. No one goes to a circus to see what's "safe."]

Once a business matures, or even becomes a stock darling, negative press is just bad. Once you're at the front of the pack, the only place left to go is backwards. Especially when creating friction with your client base. Every mature business works at maintaining a structure that encourages repeat client activity - since the repeating customer is the most cost-efficient means of maintaining cash flow, while also having the subtle benefit of offering "word of mouth" promotion at the grass-roots level. Unless, as some have hypothesized, your client-base has become too "high maintenance," in which case you lose them to save money. But that doesn't fall under marketing, but rather a change of strategy.

Can you show me one established company that pissed off its client-base, and reaped financial rewards as a result? Even if it's only 10% of the client base, which through marketing and pricing can be recovered, it's not exactly the 10% you wanted to drop, not from a marketing perspective, especially.

Look at this another way. Prior to the launch of FCP X, an ad campaign by Avid saying they're committed to supporting the professional editor would have looked lame. Now, thanks to Apple's "successful launch," their competitors can practically say anything that references client appreciation and loyalty, and make tremendous headway as a result.
Successful? I guess that depends on asking for who?
Prior to FCP X, competitors' claims on "loyalty" and "appreciation" would be sadly pedantic. Post launch, such comments are actually refreshing.

The title to your thread was provocative - a good marketing ploy for generating comments. The activity in this forum has been slowing down.

You do know why, don't you.

Indifference, my friend. Indifference.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Aug 6, 2011 at 8:46:06 am

One could argue that IF the unlikely event that Apple were to listen to all the buzz and complaints about the new version, AND quickly come out with a road map of near future upgrades that complies to the wants of the forum of users - yes then they will gain reputation of actually caring about their users, and that would be extremely succesful for both parts.

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Server w. X-Raid

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Aug 6, 2011 at 11:06:52 pm

Communication implies commitment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]