FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to install FCP-X on 30 machines with minimal BS. Any ideas?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Jacek
Need to install FCP-X on 30 machines with minimal BS. Any ideas?
on Aug 5, 2011 at 4:07:15 pm

I have 30 new Macbook Pros that I need to distribute to students, and I must install FCS3, Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium, and the 3 new FCP-X applications. I'm assuming that installing FCS3 and CS5.5 on a single machine and then cloning it will be fairly easy, because those 2 software packages have a single serial number for all 30 licenses.

My concerns arise with the FCPX, Motion, and Compressor. Apple has sent my 90 codes for the App Store, so I'm assuming that I will have to download all of these individually for each machine after the cloning process (if someone knows otherwise, please let me know). Does this also mean than I'm going to have to create 30 iTunes accounts, just so I can download all these apps from the App Store? And does that also mean that I will need to provide 30 credit cards? Or if no money is needed, can I create an iTunes account without a credit card? And finally, if I create an admin account for all 30 computers, that only I have access to, will all other users on each machine be able to use the software after it is downloaded from the App Store?

I want to do this process with the least amount of repetition, and hopefully no backtracking, so any advice is appreciated.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Need to install FCP-X on 30 machines with minimal BS. Any ideas?
on Aug 5, 2011 at 5:07:54 pm

Did you get a volume license? Apple offers two methods, but I would use this one:

Use Apple Remote Desktop, NetInstall, or NetRestore.

On your administrator Mac system, enter one of the redemption codes provided. You can then copy the application to all the target systems using Apple Remote Desktop. Or you can use the System Image Utility included in OS X Lion Server to create a NetInstall or NetRestore image.

Only the Mac system on which the application was originally downloaded will be notified of software updates. To deploy the update across all target systems, download the software update from the Mac App Store on the original system, then copy the new version of the application to all the target systems.

You can also create a system containing all the application software and use system imaging software to distribute it across all your Mac systems. Software updates for OS X Lion will be provided through Software Update on those systems. Updates for Apple software are available only through the Mac App Store on the original system. Updated applications must be distributed separately or through a new system image.

If you are making an image, it sounds like you can push it out, but updates will not flow to the imaged clients. You'd need to either push updates via ARD or via new images.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Aug 5, 2011 at 9:30:03 pm

Thanks for the response. Not having made a disk image before, is this something I can just do via the Drive Utility in Snow Leopard? Also, what are your thoughts on going to Lion now? I have the codes, which are supposed to be good indefinitely, so I can wait if needed.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Aug 5, 2011 at 9:34:35 pm

Yes. Disk utility.

bigpine

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Aug 6, 2011 at 1:10:33 am

I like to use DeployStudio. Very handy and can go from bootable drive to NetBoot server. You can use it to create images and deploy images.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Aug 5, 2011 at 11:39:08 pm

Using ARD to do multiple concurrent installs would probably be the best way to go!

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Aug 6, 2011 at 1:01:26 am

Do you know if I am able to use ARD to install a complete clone of my master system? Or would I be better served to sneaker-net it the first time, and then use ARD for new software/updates?

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Aug 6, 2011 at 1:13:12 am

ARD will let you push files and install .pkg files, but it won't remotely image. If you don't have it, make sure you buy ARD via the App Store and not in the box. $80 download, $500 box (really!).

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Aug 6, 2011 at 3:11:24 pm

I use Carbon Copy Cloner sometimes. It will make a bootbable clone of your master. I believe it's free too.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 6, 2011 at 3:47:25 pm

[Robert Brown] "I use Carbon Copy Cloner sometimes. It will make a bootbable clone of your master. I believe it's free too."

Yes, it is free, and yes, it works very well.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Aug 6, 2011 at 12:49:40 pm

For the Adobe side, you can probably look at this:
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/creative-suite-in-the-enterprise/deploying-cs5-wi...

Cheers,
Dennis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]