FORUMS: list search recent posts

VGA/DVI vs HDMI Best option for FCP X Monitoring?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
VGA/DVI vs HDMI Best option for FCP X Monitoring?
on Aug 3, 2011 at 7:30:48 pm

Just looking for as to how to get the best monitoring results from a ATI Radeon HD 5770 running into a pair of Samsung 27" HD 1920x1080 computer monitors with choice of VGA or HDMI input.

At the moment I am using the VGA input on my monitors - would I get a better or sharper or more accurate image using the HDMI input?

Or is all just about the same?

Calibrating the colour of the monitor is an another issue - at the moment using x-rite calibration.

Would welcome some techie advice from someone who has delved into this issue.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: VGA/DVI vs HDMI Best option for FCP X Monitoring?
on Aug 3, 2011 at 9:25:10 pm

Yeah HDMI would be better.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Ewan Lim
on Aug 4, 2011 at 12:10:40 am

Is monitoring thru hdmi output accurate? Assuming that I am outputting to a LCD or LED computer monitor where the colors has been calibrated.

I realised that when my sequence is interlaced, or rather upper field dominance, my visuals shown on my LCD monitor always has interlace issues. I usually remedy it by just letting it be progressive and let it be none field dominance. So i am not sure myself if any of my footages has any real interlaced issues as i never had this issue running out of a black magic card or a kona card out to a tv logic monitor.

Excuse me for my idiocy. I know that it is always best to monitor on a broadcast monitor but how accurate is it to monitor visuals via hdmi to monitor?

Ewan
Avid, FCS3, Premiere Pro, After Effects

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 4, 2011 at 12:19:19 am

[Ewan Lim] "Is monitoring thru hdmi output accurate? Assuming that I am outputting to a LCD or LED computer monitor where the colors has been calibrated."

Depends on what hardware I/O you're feeding to the monitor. The HDMI output from my Matrox MXO2 is dead on.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Ewan Lim
on Aug 4, 2011 at 2:39:27 am

*repost

Return to posts index

Ewan Lim
on Aug 4, 2011 at 2:41:54 am

If you don't mind entertain another question regarding accuracy of monitoring thru the graphics card. To be specific Amd radeon 5770 for the mac which doesn't have a true hdmi output but a vga/dvi output.

My current work situation is that we're kona cardless and my editing station's monitoring is thru vga/dvi and the image on my samsung led monitor is slowly driving me bonkers. Visually, i have to rely on the scopes but technical wise...

We are doing broadcast as well as web based videos. We are Still on FCS but I am keeping an eye on FCPx but hope they will go back to Avid or switch to Adobe Prod Premium. Personally using FCPx and Ppro.

Ewan
Avid, FCS3, Premiere Pro, After Effects

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Aug 7, 2011 at 9:28:52 pm

HDMI would be much better. A non-technical way to describe HDMI is duplex (bi-directional) DVI with embedded audio and copyright protection and rudimentary device control.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Aug 4, 2011 at 5:33:17 am

Thanks Noah, I'll give it a go. The 2 adapters I need won't cost too much.

And David, sure the signal from the MXO2 is good but the fact that at the moment it doesn't talk to FCP X
makes it a no no.

I've kept the monitor and MXO2 mini plugged into my system but it is largely redundant at the moment. Nice blue light though.

I've just edited a 12 minute programme and had a dreadful time with the stability of FCP X. Loads of crashes and spinning balls. If the situation doesn't improve with the additional memory I've just installed I will return to FCP7.

And then , hey presto, I'll have external monitoring again.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 4, 2011 at 7:57:41 am

Mark, are you running FCPX under Snow Leopard or Lion? I'm finding FCPX to be remarkably stable under SL but very buggy under Lion initially, I needed to do a completely clean install of Lion and FCPX before it had any sort of stability.

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Aug 4, 2011 at 8:54:42 am

Steve,

No I haven't installed Lion yet - some essential software has yet to be updated for Lion so I'm going to hang on with 10.6.8

Mark Dobson
Producer and Director
Alembic TV
http://www.alembic.tv

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 4, 2011 at 3:02:13 pm

[Mark Dobson] "And David, sure the signal from the MXO2 is good but the fact that at the moment it doesn't talk to FCP X
makes it a no no."

That's true. None of the I/O devices enable proper video monitoring at this time with FCP X.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Aug 5, 2011 at 2:54:28 pm

Well just to complete this thread.

I've now connected my 2 27" monitors via HDMI and they are a lot better than VGA. They are set at 1080p (PAL for me) and provide a really sharp image quality especially with High Quality monitoring turned on on FCP X preferences.

Certainly a lot better than the VGA connection.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Aug 7, 2011 at 9:29:42 pm

The MXO2 works really good with Avid Media Composer. Just sayin...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]