FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD studio pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin lewis
DVD studio pro
on Aug 2, 2011 at 7:47:50 pm

Does FCP X Contain any of the DVD Studio pro features???

Return to posts index

Shawn Birmingham
Re: DVD studio pro
on Aug 2, 2011 at 7:53:26 pm

FCPX allows you to create DVDs with simple (or no) menus. Nothing of DVD SP is in FCPX. DVD SP does still work, even in Lion, although Apple has not touched it in 6+ years.

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Aug 2, 2011 at 8:02:41 pm

Nope.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 2, 2011 at 8:12:54 pm

There's just primitive DVD and Blu-ray support whose features are steps below iDVD.
Apple has said frequently, optical disk is a dead end and even Blu-ray is transitory at best.

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Aug 2, 2011 at 10:28:08 pm

[Craig Seeman] "There's just primitive DVD and Blu-ray support whose features are steps below iDVD.
Apple has said frequently, optical disk is a dead end and even Blu-ray is transitory at best."

Thanks I Don't know what I would do without Apple Telling me What is alive and Dead in the post production world... :P

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 2, 2011 at 10:38:29 pm

[Greg Burke] "Thanks I Don't know what I would do without Apple Telling me What is alive and Dead in the post production world... :P"

Using floppy discs.

Apple tends to be a few steps ahead and, so far, they've been mostly right.

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Aug 2, 2011 at 10:59:39 pm

ANd Apparently HD Cam HD SR XD CAm are dead as well.....

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 3, 2011 at 1:44:24 am

[Greg Burke] "ANd Apparently HD Cam HD SR XD CAm are dead as well....."

Given HDCAM SR productions issues, I wouldn't be surprised if broadcasters are taking a serious look at long form file delivery.

Tape inputs shouldn't be a problem in the upcoming weeks with AJA, Blackmagic, Matrox all improving their input control programs.

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on Aug 3, 2011 at 8:59:45 pm

Nope but they for sure have USB in the Computers!

Optical Disc will dead when the day comes that every income has a high speed Internet access!
So it does looks pretty good for the optical disc for good while. ;)
Besides Blu-Ray beats the iss out of Apples wanna be HD iTunes movies. :o

Return to posts index

Gary Pollard
on Aug 4, 2011 at 5:13:00 am

Apple tends to be a few steps ahead ... except where they haven't caught up yet or offer limited feature sets.

And where they haven't caught up, die hard Apple worshippers tell you:

"That's what's good about Apple. They don't introduce a feature until they can do it properly."

____

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 3, 2011 at 2:08:04 am

How about nowhere even in the same Ballpark as iDVD. How about unchanged since FCS3?

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Aug 2, 2011 at 8:57:39 pm

The DVD and BluRay capabilities in FCPX are almost exactly what you have available in Compressor 3.5. Very rudimentary, not an authoring tool at all like DVDSP.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Aug 2, 2011 at 9:18:51 pm

Personally, I'm getting less and less satisfied with the look of dvds.

I still use DVD Studio Pro for mastering standard def discs, but anymore I am posting high def videos, on dropbox, youtube or my mobile me gallery, until that goes away.

Vimeo has a pro level for $199/year, and it streams on phones and pads. Could be a good way to go.

What other options are people using?

---------
I'm calling it FCX. They took the "pro" out, so I will too.
I'll reconsider after the first upgrade.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
blogging at http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Aug 2, 2011 at 9:27:04 pm

[Mark Morache] "Vimeo has a pro level for $199/year, and it streams on phones and pads. Could be a good way to go."

I hadn't seen the new Pro level, that's cool. I've got a Plus plan, it was all there was when I signed up. The Approvals pages are particularly interesting. Vimeo is good stuff.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 2, 2011 at 10:04:49 pm

Vimeo Pro
http://vimeo.com/pro

http://vimeo.com/blog:430

http://vimeo.com/help/faq#plus_to_pro

Looks impressive.

The replacement for DVD depends on the targeted use but there's a few.
For presentation playing from an iPad 2 HDMI out to HDTV.
File Players such as Western Digital's to HDTV or projector is also possible.
For distribution, a link to an HD encode is viable. This can also work for fast client review.

I"m finding few needs for DVD video (and Blu-ray). Some people like to hand out a tangible but then one can only view with the appropriate player. Some people like the option to make menu choices but one can choose between links on a website as well. Even if I need to get a video on a tangible, burning a file to a disc as data seems to have more flexibility these days, especially if you want to show HD. It seems when you consider computers and portable devices that can play an HD file, there is wider use than Blu-ray. My heart breaks when I have to mash HD onto an SD DVD Video disc. There are too many ways to offer better quality HD file for viewing.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Aug 2, 2011 at 9:59:42 pm

Doesn't matter for some of us -- DVDs are part of the deliverable package. For me they're getting to be the "new VHS", and PTL that is gone. However...

does no one give a rat's @$$ about archival/preservation, simple storage anymore? Sure post it up on the net -- I'm sure the cloud will last forever, right? Well, until Apple or someone even richer and more arrogant decides that internet cr@p is so yesterday and deletes it all.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 2, 2011 at 10:23:11 pm

You can certainly use Optical Discs (DVD, Blu-ray, whatever follows) as data file storage. You can fit something better than a mashed MPEG2 file on it, or even a bit more efficient H.264 on it.

Note that any "archival" system must not only endure but the devices that play them must also endure. Some people will find that LTO tape is the best way to go just as long new record/play devices remain backward compatible and in production.

Return to posts index

Mark Bein
on Aug 2, 2011 at 10:57:28 pm

[Joseph Owens] "does no one give a rat's @$$ about archival/preservation, simple storage anymore?"

You can burn DVD/Bluray with FCPX.
Burned discs are throwaways - they're not fit for archival/preservation purposes.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Aug 3, 2011 at 6:28:06 am

[Craig Seeman] Apple has said frequently, optical disk is a dead end and even Blu-ray is transitory at best.

If it IS transitory, the transition is going to be longer than Steve wants us to believe. Unless someone comes up with a miraculous new video codec, it's going to be a long time before anything streamed online comes anywhere close to Blu-ray quality. And even if I'm wrong, there will be ISP-imposed data caps to contend with.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 3, 2011 at 6:46:35 am

[Greg Andonian] "If it IS transitory, the transition is going to be longer than Steve wants us to believe. Unless someone comes up with a miraculous new video codec, it's going to be a long time before anything streamed online comes anywhere close to Blu-ray quality. And even if I'm wrong, there will be ISP-imposed data caps to contend with."

Interesting that Apple's response to the need of Lion delivery other than via web will be USB Thumb Drive.
Blu-ray is generally H.264. It would be possible to deliver a high data rate file by USB Thumb Drive and then copy it to "device" for playback. Of course I'm not sure how that market penetration compares to Blu-ray.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Aug 5, 2011 at 3:14:50 am

[Greg Andonian] "If it IS transitory, the transition is going to be longer than Steve wants us to believe. Unless someone comes up with a miraculous new video codec, it's going to be a long time before anything streamed online comes anywhere close to Blu-ray quality. And even if I'm wrong, there will be ISP-imposed data caps to contend with."

Not to mention that only about 40% of America has affordable access to broadband.
I do dozens of DVD's of every project I work on. Perhaps my clients are not on Jobs cc list, and didn't get the memo that DVD's are dead.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 5, 2011 at 4:16:13 am

I can't define "affordable" but PEW research says it's up around 90% that have access to broadband and about 60% or so have it.

66% have broadand
http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2010/Home-Broadband-2010/Summary-of-Find...

up to 10% don't have access.
http://www.pewinternet.org/Media-Mentions/2011/Internet-service-map.aspx

http://www.pewinternet.org/Presentations/2010/Nov/Opportunity-Online.aspx

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Aug 3, 2011 at 7:23:26 am

[Craig Seeman] "Blu-ray is generally H.264. It would be possible to deliver a high data rate file by USB Thumb Drive and then copy it to "device" for playback. Of course I'm not sure how that market penetration compares to Blu-ray."

I see two major problems with that-

One is cost. Flash drives at a capacity comparable to BD-Rs are very pricey, and it would be expensive to hand them out to a lot of people.

Two is the file system of the drive. Flash drives are usually formated in FAT 32, which has a file size limit of 4 GB. You would have to re-format the drive to fit anything longer than 15 minutes or so, and aside from FAT32 the only other cross-platform alternative would be exFAT- but older computers wouldn't be able to read it. On the Mac side you would need Snow Leopard with (I think)10.6.6 to see it.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 3, 2011 at 7:52:00 am

[Greg Andonian] "One is cost. Flash drives at a capacity comparable to BD-Rs are very pricey,"

I agree on cost but I'm seeing posts from people who are doing this for trade shows. Keep in mind the intended target and size of distribution will likely be smaller the DVD had been. It's just one alternative only for the target market that either has poor internet speeds or needs tangible deliverables.

[Greg Andonian] "Two is the file system of the drive. Flash drives are usually formated in FAT 32, which has a file size limit of 4 GB. You would have to re-format the drive to fit anything longer than 15 minutes or so, and aside from FAT32 the only other cross-platform alternative would be exFAT- but older computers wouldn't be able to read it. On the Mac side you would need Snow Leopard with (I think)10.6.6 to see it."

Macs generally can read, but can't write to NTFS, which doesn't have the 4GB limit. As to older computers, I'm not sure that's a target market for HD video.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Aug 3, 2011 at 8:55:49 am

[Craig Seeman] "Macs generally can read, but can't write to NTFS, which doesn't have the 4GB limit. As to older computers, I'm not sure that's a target market for HD video."

Ah, yes, I forgot about NTFS. Of course, since you can't write to it in OSX, you would have to boot into Windows to copy the video onto it, which will add time to the process...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 3, 2011 at 3:20:50 pm

[Greg Andonian] "Ah, yes, I forgot about NTFS. Of course, since you can't write to it in OSX, you would have to boot into Windows to copy the video onto it, which will add time to the process..."

There's a free and inexpensive utilities for writing
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23729/macfuse

http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/
Lion version not yet on MacUpdate
http://www.tuxera.com/mac/macfuse/MacFUSE-Tuxera-2.2.dmg

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33603/sl-ntfs

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26288/ntfs-for-mac-os-x

The "public" only needs to read of course which is already built in. Only content creators need to write.

Return to posts index

Peter Wiley
on Aug 3, 2011 at 11:03:43 am

I got a call the other day, as I sometimes do, form the board chair of a local arts organization who wanted to get a DVD made of an upcoming concert as a fund raiser. The local high schools now routinely get DVDs made of their musicals each year. What happens to these projects in a post-DVD world? Parents and grandparents like tangible products.

The irony is that FCP X is aimed at producers doing this kind of small- scale local work.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Aug 3, 2011 at 2:04:34 pm

[Peter Wiley] "The local high schools now routinely get DVDs made of their musicals each year. What happens to these projects in a post-DVD world? Parents and grandparents like tangible products. "

Just to play devil's advocate a little, do these high school plays get delivered on richly authored DVDs with deep custom menu structures and lots of DVD "extras"? Or are they pretty much pop'n'play discs that at most have a single menu with a "play" button?

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 3, 2011 at 3:35:43 pm

While still in the devils advocate mode, I think apple learned the majority of FCP users were making client approval DVD's, which can be done without DVDSP.

One reason DVDSP has not been updated is that there is not much more that can be done with it. It basically does everything in the DVD spec already. Their choice was either make a BluRay authoring program or EOL the product. They already decided against BluRay as they don't see it being profitable enough for them.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 3, 2011 at 3:43:23 pm

And to add to the devil's work. . .
While iDVD is not available in the App Store, it's still part of the box set available in the Apple Online Store and as recently as a few weeks ago, software update had a maintenance update for it (along with iWeb). So it would even as EOL, the life of iDVD is being extended by Apple event though development has stopped.

I suspect iDVD fits the needs of the "school" delivery market. Blu-ray screeners are fine for most clients. The market for "Hollywood" level Blu-ray interactivity/complexity is very small and that market is under heavy assault by Netflix, iTunes, maybe Hulu to an extent although that's more TV viewing.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 3, 2011 at 4:30:11 pm

I switched to Adobe Encore for DVD and Blu-ray authoring a while and have found it to be a great replacement for DVDSP, it wasn't difficult to learn either.

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Aug 4, 2011 at 1:18:53 pm

Interestingly, I'm starting to get request from my clients for BluRay.(small events where a big AV build would be impractical and kiosks)
I've switched over to Adobe Encore and it works just great, and building menu pages in PS is easy and straight forward.
There seems to be life after FCP.

Cheers,

Jim

Return to posts index

Jerry Alto
on Aug 4, 2011 at 3:16:58 am

John- My opinion is it goes beyond Apple making enough profit. I think Apple's modus operandi is to COLLECT royalties not PAY them.

MacPro 2.93 Quad
FCP7
Sony Z-1
GV-HD700

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 4, 2011 at 3:26:26 pm

John- My opinion is it goes beyond Apple making enough profit. I think Apple's modus operandi is to COLLECT royalties not PAY them.

Care to elaborate? What royalties are we talking about ?

Return to posts index

Jerry Alto
on Aug 4, 2011 at 6:57:06 pm

John- Sorry, I mean't to say licensing fees, not royalties. If I remember correctly, Apple was one of the lead companies in the early development stages of HD DVDs.

When Sony won the HD DVD vs. Blueray battle Apple bailed. I don't think they liked the idea of paying Sony.

I meant to say; Apple likes to COLLECT licensing fees, not PAY them.

MacPro 2.93 Quad
FCP7
Sony Z-1
GV-HD700

Return to posts index

Shawn Birmingham
on Aug 4, 2011 at 8:01:21 pm

Apple never supported the offical HD DVD spec. DVD SP created DVDs that had HD content, that would only play on Macs. They would not play on Toshiba's HD DVD players. Toshiba changed the programming on their HD DVD players so they could play these Mac only discs.

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on Aug 4, 2011 at 8:43:16 pm

Not true Apple was or is still a board member in the Blu-Ray Group.
The only reason why Apple cries Blu-Ray is dead, is called iTunes Store!

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Aug 5, 2011 at 12:53:11 am

[Andree Franks] "The only reason why Apple cries Blu-Ray is dead, is called iTunes Store!"

I fully agree- even more so now that they're getting rid of optical drives entirely right after the Mac App store came out. I remember when the Mac App store was announced Steve said, "It's not the only way to get apps, but we think it's the best way." But now it's starting to look like they DO want it to be the only way. I can't help but wonder if we're going to start seeing websites devoted to "Jailbreaking" the Mac in the not-to-distant future.

As for Steve's assertion that Blu-ray is dead- it's very much alive. It's still small compared to DVD, but it's been growing steadily since it was introduced. And I have a feeling it's going to get a serious jump-start this fall, starting next month when the Star Wars films come out...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]