FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone notice cross fades look different?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
Anyone notice cross fades look different?
on Aug 2, 2011 at 4:52:53 am

The video cross fades perform differently from FCP7.

They don't seem to ramp in as smoothly as they do in FCP7. It looks like when fading in from black, the video appears just a bit faster.

It's annoying me that it's different, and I don't like it. Perhaps I'm just used to seeing the cross fades in FCP7 so anything different looks bad.

Any tech types here who might know why this might be.

Do we need to create our own cross dissolve in Motion and call it "FCP7 Dissolve"?

Create a 2 second dissolve in 7, and create one in X, and put the two on a split screen. You'll see what I mean.

---------
I'm calling it FCX. They took the "pro" out, so I will too.
I'll reconsider after the first upgrade.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
blogging at http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Anyone notice cross fades look different?
on Aug 2, 2011 at 11:49:10 am

Interpolation differences?
Is FCPX purely linear and FCP7 is more curved?

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Aug 2, 2011 at 3:38:57 pm

I had an Abekas D-2 switcher that has some nice dissolve transitions. You could change the curves. For instance, like in an audio dissolve, the dissolve starts slowly, picks up speed and then slows down. Or you could do a straight linear.

They may have changed the shape of the curves in FCPX.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

Dale Robinson
on Aug 2, 2011 at 5:34:31 pm

I have noticed the difference and do not like the crossfades. It seems like they are additive or non additive mixes. It's been a while since I used those mixes so I don' recall the results.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Aug 2, 2011 at 7:09:16 pm

It may be the curves. Just for fun, I tried creating a cross dissolve in Motion and publishing it in FCX. It was linear, and it looked quite similar to the way FCX creates fades now.

I also tried putting a clip on V2, and using the fade handles, which look like they have a bit of a curve to them. If that's the case, it might explain why the incoming clip seems to pop in more suddenly than it used to.

If I get some time, I may try creating one with more of an s-curve.

There's a dark irony, where even the simplest, most popular transition requires a workaround!!

---------
I'm calling it FCX. They took the "pro" out, so I will too.
I'll reconsider after the first upgrade.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
blogging at http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Gary Pollard
on Aug 2, 2011 at 11:19:47 pm

The more I look at some functions of FCP X, the more I like Sony Vegas, which immediately offers you a bunch of different transition curves and doesn't make decisions for you.

For my personal projects (as well as editing my own work for TV) I am currently working with both Vegas and Premiere Pro (I even completed two documentaries on Elements) but practising on FCP X whenever I get the chance.

At the station I work with the editors are using either FCP 7 or non-linear. It's good to be software agnostic.

____

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]