FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCS 3 and upgrades still being sold

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
FCS 3 and upgrades still being sold
on May 2, 2011 at 8:03:58 pm

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/software/apple?n=professiona...

At this point we're less than 60 days until the end of June and FCS3 and upgrade are still being sold in the Apple Store. Of course there's no official announcement of FCPX (it was a sneak peek after all) but I can't help but wonder if some people are going to feel burned if they make a purchase at this point since there's no upgrade path.

Please keep in mind that while us veterans are in the know, there are many newbies out there who may be making their first FCS purchase and others upgrading. I've popped into enough forums asking about first time purchases or upgrades who have no idea what FCPX is or that there's no upgrade policy.

It may be that Apple will announce at around WWDC and have a "30 day" policy or they really intend to sell both products simultaneously for a bit (which would be odd).

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: FCS 3 and upgrades still being sold
on May 2, 2011 at 8:21:16 pm

I'll be curious to see if Apple will continue to sell Studio upgrades after the release of FCP X. There is still a market for a suite of applications I think.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 2, 2011 at 8:32:27 pm

Unless and until FCPX has full integration of some of the suite's utilities, Apple's continued sale of FCS3 makes sense.

The thing to consider (not that Apple is doing the considering), if the FCS3 suite remains at $999, it may make sense for people who need motion graphics to simply buy and learn After Effects and those who need professional Color grading to buy Resolve. The alternative is to go the "Shake" route and reduce the price as EOL software still for sale. That could even buy some time for Apple if they do intent an eventual new suite and don't have it ready to go.

Although not a direct parallel, I'd point out that while iLife 11 is now three independent apps in the App Store, iMovie, GarageBand, iPhoto, the boxed set of iLife 11 at Apple Online also includes iDVD and iWeb. It does indicate Apple's willingness to keep EOL products available for Online purchase even if not in the App Store.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 2, 2011 at 9:25:41 pm

I'd guess Apple will keep FCS and the upgrade for a while. I think as Motion and STP and maybe Color get upgraded they'll become available as separate downloads. Somewhere around there FCS will disappear. Cinema Tools may become a free download. Compressor will come soon too I think. I don't think there will ever be a DVDSP available for download. Any DVD creation will be built into the Compressor templates functions. For full DVD functionality I think Apple will make people look elsewhere. They are so convinced the silver disc is history.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 2, 2011 at 10:35:24 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "For full DVD functionality I think Apple will make people look elsewhere."

Given that iDVD is still available as part of iLife Online only, they may do the same for DVDStudioPro (online store only purchase). They could kill it outright though if it's fundamentally incompatible with Lion though.

[Tom Wolsky] "They are so convinced the silver disc is history."

[Tom Wolsky] "Compressor will come soon too I think."

This is why Compressor has to have a major overhaul. You can't pronounce disc as dead and then neglect the alternative they claim is the vital future.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 2, 2011 at 10:55:16 pm

I think by the time Lion is shipping Studio will no longer be for sale online and DVDSP will go with it.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on May 2, 2011 at 10:57:06 pm

Here's some food for speculation. I bought an upgrade the week before the demo for $299, the outside box said Upgrade but when I installed it, the software never asked for my Previous Serial Number. So I looked at the Key # in the package and low and behold it said "Retail". Either they made a mistake or are quietly sending full retail to everyone.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 2, 2011 at 11:02:58 pm

[Devin Crane] "the outside box said Upgrade but when I installed it, the software never asked for my Previous Serial Number. So I looked at the Key # in the package and low and behold it said "Retail". "

It was a contest Devin. Had you simply notified Apple and sent it back, you would won millions in cash and prizes. Instead, you're now excluded from future contests.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 2, 2011 at 11:17:55 pm

Mistake I think. It seems to happen way more often than it should.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 2, 2011 at 11:49:31 pm

pot luck gag - What does anyone think the combined price of whatever the new apple app store offerings (of the formerly FCP studio) will combined come to?

winner to receive a t-shirt I am currently unaware of..

let's do a back street bookies.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 3, 2011 at 12:05:01 am

$615.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 3, 2011 at 12:09:14 am

a marker is laid.

I like $615 - but I will go $549.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 3, 2011 at 3:33:16 pm

$550

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 3, 2011 at 4:02:58 pm

Interesting numbers people are posting.
Apple product prices always end in 9.
I suspect any app prices will have has the last two digits 99 or maybe 49.

FCPX $299
My guesses:
Compressor $49 (improved QMaster and Batching, MP4 export, various standards conversions, etc)
Color $99 (advanced features including control surface integration and other advanced features)
Motion $199 (including lots of assets)
Sound Track Pro $49 (loops and Sound FX collection included)
DVDStudio Pro (online not in App Store) 299 (due to assets boxing shipping) so not included in my total

Motion and STP are going to be big downloads given the assets.

All these (DVDSP excluded) will behave both as plug ins using FCPX timeline or standalone apps)

$695 for App Store purchases total

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 3, 2011 at 4:56:21 pm

$299.

All those other apps that were mentioned won't be for sale.
They will be integrated into FCP.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 3, 2011 at 5:30:42 pm

I was just outbidding Aindreas by a dollar. We're playing The Price is Right aren't we?

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 3, 2011 at 5:40:54 pm

I live in Nevada, and we take our wagering seriously. :)

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 3, 2011 at 7:23:07 pm

you cunning fiend..

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on May 3, 2011 at 10:16:03 pm

[Craig Seeman] "This is why Compressor has to have a major overhaul. You can't pronounce disc as dead and then neglect the alternative they claim is the vital future."

Fair chance Compressor just goes away as a standalone app, in favor of an expanded 'Share' feature in FCP X.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read Does FCP X make project files obsolete? on our blog.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 3, 2011 at 10:32:55 pm

[Chris Kenny] "Fair chance Compressor just goes away as a standalone app, in favor of an expanded 'Share' feature in FCP X."

With virtual cluster and batch processing?
Compressor isn't just used for FCP export.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on May 4, 2011 at 12:02:47 am

[Craig Seeman] "With virtual cluster and batch processing?
Compressor isn't just used for FCP export."

Realistically Compressor is probably 95% used for FCP export, if not directly then conceptually, e.g. when you export a ProRes file from FCP via the 'Export' command and then transcode it to three different formats via Compressor.

It isn't uncommon for Apple to optimize for the 95% use case and leave the remaining 5% as a "third-party opportunity".

That said, it wouldn't be very hard for Apple to add batch features to FCP.

If by 'virtual clustering' you mean the practice of running multiple instances of Compressor to get better CPU utilization on machines with lots of cores, I doubt any such thing will be required in FCP X, given its apparently widespread use of Grand Central Dispatch. With respect to actual physical clustering, that's absolutely a small enough niche that Apple will have no problem ignoring it. Remote job submission is probably used a little more commonly, but not commonly enough for Apple to be overly concerned about it, I think.

Frankly, Qmaster (which provides all of these clustering and remote submission capabilities) has always been a little screwy, and I'd be surprised if Apple didn't take this opportunity to get rid of it. The overhead of having to deal with the complexity of a system that enables these capabilities is detrimental to many more users than actually benefit significantly from these capabilities.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read Does FCP X make project files obsolete? on our blog.

Return to posts index

charles wren
on May 14, 2011 at 11:10:31 pm

"Frankly, Qmaster (which provides all of these clustering and remote submission capabilities) has always been a little screwy..."

More like a nightmare.
80% of the time my compressor crashes at 67% of the file.

Return to posts index

Victor Perez
on May 3, 2011 at 4:25:09 pm

My guess is that Final Cut Studio 3 will still be relevant for some time as some others have mentioned. If you look at some of the FCPX screen shots you can see that all the music in the Demo Audi Project is currently available in Soundtrack Pro.

Victor
http://www.editvictor.com
http://www.hbhm.tv
http://www.itvisus.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]