FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any views on MAM?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Smith
Any views on MAM?
on Jul 29, 2011 at 7:26:32 pm

So, FC Server went away.. to be honest I never actually used it but I'm now working at a place where Media Asset Management is very important and am about to get involved in a large project in that area and I'm wondering if FCPX can ever fit back into working with a multi platform (multiple NLE systems in use) MAM system.

So this calls for speculation really but I'm stumped as the best route that Apple could take with the way that FCPX works to provide MAM integration.

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
Re: Any views on MAM?
on Jul 29, 2011 at 7:53:28 pm

Good question I say lets wait for the next Mac Pro and a small update for FCPX ;) (I hop e no insides here)
So far we have Lion a OS that has XSAN build in it with a cheap Server module that can be downloaded from the App Store and then we have some thing cool that is called Thunderbolt.

In case Apple does not use these option with Final Cut Pro X then I hope EditShare is smarter.

Return to posts index

Andy Smith
on Jul 29, 2011 at 8:09:07 pm

Yeah, but our case we have a home grown programme and won't be using EditShare. Many ingress and egress systems involved and it's crafted around the organisations needs so it doesn't help when it looks like if anything Apple might end up doing some form of MAM that is created around FCPX behaviour rather than something more traditional.

Don't get me wrong, we have various things that don't fit the traditional mould such as frame based systems as well as numerous file based NLE but they have their own place and they have long since been considered.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 30, 2011 at 11:24:40 pm

I could see FCPX becoming a sort of clustered MAM in and of itself. If there were a way to share Events (like on a SAN or NAS), with multiple users interacting with the keyword metadata and clip metadata, you would essentially have a sort of MAM right there. If there are XML hooks for shared events, third party software could conceivably read or even interact with that metadata in all sorts of interesting ways. All of that is pie in the sky at this point, but that is what I'm hoping happens...

Tweeted rumors from the recent London event indicated that a handful of MAM developers are already getting early access to FCPX's hooks, whatever they may be.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]