FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro in a real-world situation

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Sadwelkar
Premiere Pro in a real-world situation
on Jul 29, 2011 at 5:29:01 pm

Premiere Pro? Check this review

I think I'm going to spend some time learning FCP X, while continuing with FCP 7 for the bread and butter jobs. And rare tape jobs.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Premiere Pro in a real-world situation
on Jul 29, 2011 at 6:17:27 pm

This makes it sound like you think the review was negative.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 29, 2011 at 6:40:11 pm

I don't quite get what you are saying. It was a nice article, very favorable to PPro, but with some honest quibbles. After reading it, I'm probably MORE likely to spend time with PPro. The article also rejects FCP X outright. I do not understand why you cite this article to support the statements you make in your post. I think most people reading the article and finding it persuasive, would come to the exact opposite conclusion from what you have stated.

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on Jul 29, 2011 at 7:56:59 pm

Only cool thing that Premiere has is the Text Generator! :p

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Jul 30, 2011 at 2:33:36 am

It's almost worth switching for the text generator, which is a direct decendant of Insciber CG (for those who remember it)

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on Jul 30, 2011 at 8:23:41 am

True that if you are looking for something like livetype... For myself I use a 3D application and photoshop.

I still can't understand why the big A's can't build in a 3D character generator... Apple was on the right track with there 2D livetype. We will see how long it's still going to take for them to copy Smoke!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 30, 2011 at 12:45:03 pm

For a counterpoint I could steer you to scathing reviews of FCP X but what's the point? Use what you want to use for your shop.

We had an outstanding presentation at our first Atlanta Cutters meeting of the four A's on the same stage. Adobe, Apple, Avid and Autodesk. You know what we learned? You can edit on all four of them. Shocking I know, but it's true.

FCP X doesn't work for me today and I'm not going to learn it right now because there's no point. We're going to move away from FCP 7 because it's EOL and no sense working with dead software.

Adobe Premiere Pro is currently holding a 4000 clip, 250 hour documentary at my place playing off an AJA Kona 3 system. Is it perfect? Nope, but it's so much more efficient than FCP 7, if for no other reason than the ability to work native, so I'll take a few of the bugs at the moment for a much faster workflow that actually works in our environment.

Avid MC6 also looks very sweet and what more can you say about Smoke that hasn't already been said. It was very difficult to give away that copy of Smoke the other night instead of just running out of the building with it yelling "Mine! Mine! Mine!"

So if FCP X is your future, great. If you'd like to get into a "Well My NLE is Better Than Yours!" discussion, I'll leave that to you. But I, for one, am so glad there are at least three other options out there for me to use besides X.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Marcus Umstead
on Aug 1, 2011 at 8:17:41 am

Often, people who see my work will ask, "What did you cut that on? Final Cut?" When I reply that I used Premiere, they often have that "spit-their-drink" reaction, followed by a pronounced, "REALLY?"

However, since the release of FCP X, I haven't had that reaction. Instead, I've been offered a job cutting their upcoming movie. That's my real-world situation with Premiere Pro.

I bought FCP X, tried it a few times, but just haven't been able to stay with it yet. A friend of mine, however, has committed herself to only using FCP X, and she hasn't given up yet. I'd like to work with her sometime when my schedule opens up, just to see if I can "get it." I guess it's similar to when I forced myself to ride my bike by sitting backwards on the handlebars, just because I saw some other kid doing it. It took a while and it was a ridiculous waste of effort due to the huge reduction in control and efficiency, but I enjoy a challenge and the chicks loved it. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]