FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decided to learn iMovie '11

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Esteban Gonzalez
Decided to learn iMovie '11
on Jul 29, 2011 at 1:19:19 pm

Just figured this was a better way of learning how to do things in FCP X then trying to use my FCP 7 ways of working in a software that's totally different. Have gone back into FCP X and already am a lot more comfortable with it because of this. Ultimately, FCP X will work well for the work I do most - web video, but that's when it actually works well. Still too buggy.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
Re: Decided to learn iMovie '11
on Jul 30, 2011 at 5:20:25 am

You will certainly find similarities but you’ll likely run into the limitations of iMovie’11. I’m in the midst of finishing a music album in iMovie (one camera, multiple takes to make up the final song, audio edited in Garageband and shared with iTunes for easy import into iMovie, using both external audio and audio with HDV video) and the client also wants each song individually uploaded to the Web.

I wish I could have edit control over the effects I’ve applied. You can only apply one video effect and one audio effect at a time and you have to live with the presets.

Strangely, several corrections I made to the credits were ‘lost’ the next time I’d play or edit the project even though there was plenty of time for everything to render in the background. Must have corrected credits at least five times before the changes have stuck. Not a good argument to drop the Save command I suppose. Lesson learned: get the credits right the first time including any font changes etc.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Esteban Gonzalez
on Aug 1, 2011 at 12:02:20 pm

Yeah, it definitely was limiting. But it helped with what I wanted it to do - help me learn a new language so to speak. It's such a basic set up that its truly a "fundamentals" version of FCP X to me. When I just jumped into FCP X there was a lot of extra stuff I got distracted with. This just cut all that out the equation so I could focus on the core way of editing - still not a fan of the magnetic timeline but at least don't find it absolutely frustrating anymore either.

And I don't envy you, doing any type of project that's more than a home project in iMovie 11 would have to get frustrating. I had issues with text being slightly different when I re-opened a project as well.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Aug 3, 2011 at 10:18:48 pm

Managed to complete the music album in iMovie’11 but there were some challenges (after the credits' text settled down) using external audio and getting good sync with the camera’s audio. It wasn’t always as simple as manually matching a waveform. And I made the mistake of originally importing my external audio file into Garageband using instrument ‘Female Basic’ thinking that meant no effects, just basic sound. That was wrong of course, I should have just used a track with 'No Effects' on it to keep the singing true. Next time will be easier!

I greatly appreciated the ability to use keywords in iMovie and using Garageband was very difficult when you have scores of cuts in two hours of audio and no keyword/labels to keep track of your work! Keywords are a major user-friendly advantage of iMovie (and of course FCP X).

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]