FORUMS: list search recent posts

Autodesk Smoke for Final Cut Pro Users Video Series

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Kay
Autodesk Smoke for Final Cut Pro Users Video Series
on Jul 29, 2011 at 9:09:31 am

Hi All,

I dont normally post here but I thought that you would like to be informed about a new video series I have been releasing about Autodesk Smoke for Final Cut Pro users. This refers to Final Cut Pro 7 not Final Cut Pro x.

It's a 10 part video series featuring myself and Final Cut Pro editor, Rick Young from MacVideo.tv

The first 3 parts are out now and more to follow:

Part 1 covers XML importing from Final Cut Pro 7 & Colour Correction
Part 2 covers Keying and Garbage Masking in Autodesk Smoke
Part 3 covers Basic Editing and transitions.

Definitely worth a watch!

You can check out the episodes at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk.

You can also see the videos on my YouTube Channel - CREATIVEFINISHING
Or Follow me on Twitter - discreetuk - http://www.twitter.com/discreetuk 
Or Follow Autodesk ME on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/AutodeskME

If you want me to continue posting notifications here when i release a new episode than please let me know. Otherwise I post the notifications of the Autodesk Smoke forum in the COW.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and have a great weekend!

Regards
Grant

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
Re: Autodesk Smoke for Final Cut Pro Users Video Series
on Jul 29, 2011 at 2:34:18 pm

Sounds good. Now if you can get Autodesk to drop the $14,999 price for professionals you might have someone check out your tutorials. Its not even close to competitive pricing offers that are available from Avid or Adobe these days ;-)

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Jul 29, 2011 at 3:56:40 pm

[Tom Daigon] "Its not even close to competitive pricing offers that are available from Avid or Adobe these days"

That's because the offerings from Avid and Adobe are not true competitors to Smoke.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 29, 2011 at 5:28:08 pm

The still need to drop the price. That's just insane. I'm sure they will eventually.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jul 29, 2011 at 5:31:33 pm

Actually, I believe Autodesk will drop the price if Avid drops the price of DS and/or ports it to Mac.

Or, some as yet unknown system that rivals the market, gets introduced at a $ 1,000 kind of price point. Maybe Blackmagic will come up with something.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 29, 2011 at 5:51:44 pm

At this point I doubt any new players will show up or if they do nobody will take them seriously. I say that because Smoke for instance is a 15 or 16 year old product and has major penetration in the high end post world. I don't know that much about DS but have heard the name for a long time. But you could have an extremely competitive system to Smoke just by getting CS 5.5.

But Smoke for MAC is in a weird place as it doesn't have all of the features of a full blown Smoke - Batch, 3D preview - but costs more than any other software only product. So to me they either need to make SMAC more similar to full blown Smoke and keep the price high, or keep it as is and lower the price. It seems at some point they'll have to go one way or the other.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jul 29, 2011 at 6:45:05 pm

Robert -
But Smoke for MAC is in a weird place as it doesn't have all of the features of a full blown Smoke - Batch, 3D preview - but costs more than any other software only product.

Good point Robert. Folks that get wowed by Smoke aren't always aware of the limitations that not having Batch imposes on the use of Smoke. What a rude surprise that could be after spending $15,000 ;-)

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jul 29, 2011 at 7:27:45 pm

It's really being marketed to small to mid-range post-houses & boutiques, that might want to up their game a bit. They already have MACS, so investing in the software is not that much of a stretch.
Broadcast might be another market.

It's not being marketed to the the FCPX market and therefor is priced accordingly.

When Smoke for mac runs as well on Macs as it does on Linux, then I see it getting BFX. Currently you can't buy a Linux version, unless you are upgrading. You can't buy new that I am aware of.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Bill Dawson
on Jul 31, 2011 at 4:27:46 pm

>It's not being marketed to the the FCPX market.

Not so fast...how about free? Ok, it's students only, but the price is hard to argue with.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=14185424

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 30, 2011 at 12:49:50 pm

[Tom Daigon] "Sounds good. Now if you can get Autodesk to drop the $14,999 price for professionals you might have someone check out your tutorials. Its not even close to competitive pricing offers that are available from Avid or Adobe these days ;-)"

Smoke is not a product for every editor / every situation. I believe for what the product offers, it's actually priced quite fair.

Heck the demonstration they gave a few nights ago at the Atlanta Cutters meeting with a laptop driving a Thunderbolt Promise RAID and everything happening in realtime. Sweetness.

I never would have considered Smoke for my facility before I saw that demo. Yes it is pricey and I'll have to really consider the cost vs. benefit to owning the software. The fact that you can move FCP / Avid / Adobe projects into the system certainly is a big plus.

But just asking Autodesk to drop the price to be more in line with Media Composer and Premiere Pro is not reasonable. Those products are certainly excellent choices for the Final Cut Pro editor who wants to stay more in line with the price point of the original Studio and those will be our primary workhorses moving forward. But now Smoke is very much on my radar and is something to seriously consider for a finishing room.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Bill Dawson
on Jul 29, 2011 at 2:34:37 pm

Very cool! We dropped FCP and went with Avid and Smoke. Thanks for posting this.

Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]