FORUMS: list search recent posts

Graphics card for a 2008 Mac Pro (3,1) suitable for FCP X, Premiere Pro, and DaVinci Resolve Lite?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Reichman
Graphics card for a 2008 Mac Pro (3,1) suitable for FCP X, Premiere Pro, and DaVinci Resolve Lite?
on Jul 28, 2011 at 12:50:37 pm

I've been going through previous threads and trying to determine if I can get a graphics card that will be compatible with:

1) FCP X
2) Premiere Pro (Mercury playback)
3) DaVinci Resolve Lite

...and that costs less than $300 if at all possible. I have a Mac Pro 3,1 (Early 2008)with a 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Xeon.

From what I understand, Premiere Pro uses CUDA, which is nVidia only. The preferred inexpensive card for FCP X for my Mac, at least as far as I've read, is the ATI 5770.

Am I right in thinking that I can't get a card that will work equally well with Premiere and FCP X? I'm still trying to determine which one I'll be using most (I'm currently on FCP 7, but I need FCP X for a client's project, and may want to move to Premiere later in the year).

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Graphics card for a 2008 Mac Pro (3,1) suitable for FCP X, Premiere Pro, and DaVinci Resolve Lite?
on Jul 28, 2011 at 2:31:09 pm

I think your only choice that meets all of the above criteria is currently an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Benjamin Reichman
Re: Graphics card for a 2008 Mac Pro (3,1) suitable for FCP X, Premiere Pro, and DaVinci Resolve Lite?
on Jul 28, 2011 at 3:06:30 pm

Thanks! Off to eBay to look for good deals...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 28, 2011 at 3:46:28 pm

[Benjamin Reichman] "Thanks! Off to eBay to look for good deals..."

You're welcome!

Just make sure you get the Mac version, or a re-flashed PC card made to work in a Mac. An unmodified PC GTX 285 will not work.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 30, 2011 at 7:43:16 am

I bought a GTX 285 Mac on Ebay for $380. It rox! Get em while you still can.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]