FORUMS: list search recent posts

I just don't get it

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
I just don't get it
on May 1, 2011 at 9:32:39 pm

I'm not completely sure what the problem people have with the FCPX demo are. Are there questions about details that we would like to know? Of course! Are they so massive that I have to have nervous breakdown about it? No way!

After I watched the keynote several times, I had to jump in the chair to finish out a particularly difficult project because an editor went on vacation before our project finished. Every time I had to render sound or video, add additional tracks of audio for layered sound effects, adjust the color of a shot, dig through hours of media to find a shot I needed, etc - I would find myself wishing it was June already. I'm ready and eager to switch our shop over.

It seems to me that many of the early adopters of FCP are now a bit longer in the tooth - and have very much the same mentality about FCPX that Avid people had regarding the FCP of yesteryear. So many of the things that have annoyed me about FCP look to be eliminated or at best mitigated in X. I'm not concerned with whether X is still going to be a professional product - that's just silly and histrionic - of course it will be. It's going to be released, then AJA, Blackmagic and others will release products and software updates to guarantee compatibility as they've probably been working with Apple for a while on this.

I can't wait to update - in fact - I'm excited about editing again (now that I don't really edit anymore due to our recent expansion, dangit!). To have an apple based NLE running at 64bit - well that's just going to be awesome (don't get me started on Premiere, it's 64bit but has very little of the robustness that natively coded 64bit programs like Pixelmator and Cheetah 3D have, IMHO).

To call a release of a handheld video of a keynote that Apple did not post themselves a mistake seems kind of ridiculous. Apple gave a sneak peek of their software, if for no other reason than to shut up the exact same people who would have been going around NAB saying "Apple has abandoned pro users.

For all the complainers, don't look at iMovie as the sign of things to come - look at Logic instead. It's robust as hell, 64bit, has a very cool interface, and has been regarded as a very well thought out upgrade. For those that wonder if FCPX is going to support OMF, just look to Logic - Logic actually saved us on an OMF issue we had last week. If logic supports OMF import/export, you can "logically" assume FCPX will as well.

There may be a heck of learning curve in our futures, but at the end of the day I honestly believe 99% of us will love this FCPX and never look back. I certainly have questions, but any real negative associated with them is based solely on my overwhelming impatience to play with it and NOT with flaws I saw in the program as it was demonstrated.

FCPX will very likely make me happy, speed up our workflows, and give us more time to just be creative. I literally can't wait to see what other gems come with it.

And honestly, as David W. said, if files managed in FCPX are called "XFiles", I may pee myself!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: I just don't get it
on May 1, 2011 at 11:28:50 pm

Whats not to get?
It's unproven.
For some it seems to be 'solving' problems they are not having.
Or not solving problems they are having.

Now based on a limited demo, there are some who think this new version will not only solve all there problems, but much more, without any unwanted side effects.
I think that jury is still out on that.
Get back to me in August when you have personal experience using it for a while.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 2, 2011 at 12:17:55 am

Anything new is unproven - especially in technology. When Kraft announced they were making a non-powdered version of their mac n' cheese, I'm sure there was a significant portion of the population that fell out of their high-chairs in protest. Comparing Apples to Cheese, what Apple did was basically show you the new Mac N Cheese box, mention how there's now better, curvier noodles, and the cheese has been taste tested for accuracy by 1000 Wisconsinites.

I guess the real answer to my post is that no matter what you do, anytime you show a mass population something new, there's going to be a vocal chunk of the population that complains about it. It happened with the iPad, iPhone, Windows 7, CS5, Leopard, etc. Who's to say what problems X won't solve? We didn't even see a fraction of what it can do. In the end, it may say more about the people upset by it than the people/company taking a stand and showing us something new. I know of no-one that edits who isn't affected by rendering, the inability to use all of your available RAM, the lack of a really decent color corrector within the app, and editing without transcoding media. That's why they showed that stuff and didn't get into the minutia - they went for the core. Everything else is just details that very likely won't be a real problem.

As for me - I'm gonna eat some Mac' N Cheese tonight. Not the 'legacy' kind, either!

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on May 2, 2011 at 2:32:26 am

Mac n' Cheese seems like a good analogy for this.

FCP X runs on a Mac, and some of the automatic stuff they demoed seems very cheesy. ;)

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on May 2, 2011 at 3:54:38 pm

Thats crap. When i watch tv, 75% i see is cheesy.
Its the person behind a tool that makes something cheesy or not. And its also a matter of taste ofcourse.
Blaming a tool for cheesyness is just weak.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 2, 2011 at 4:36:02 pm

the cheese thing is a gag i believe.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on May 2, 2011 at 7:11:29 am

[John Davidson] "After I watched the keynote several times, I had to jump in the chair to finish out a particularly difficult project because an editor went on vacation before our project finished. Every time I had to render sound or video, add additional tracks of audio for layered sound effects, adjust the color of a shot, dig through hours of media to find a shot I needed, etc - I would find myself wishing it was June already."

Probably better off wishing it was August so you could get up to speed on a difficult project before tackling it with FCP X :-)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 2, 2011 at 2:16:52 pm

Based only on what WAS shown at the demo, I'm already happy because x solves a lot of the problems that are most important to me. Of course there are a lot of questions still unanswered, and I hope a few more features to surprise us with. But *if* it is stable and doesn't break anything else, I'd be up for switching over to it as-is this week.

I won't be getting it in June though, as our shop runs at least a year behind the industry when it coems to getting something new. Just this month we'll finally get the upgrade to FCP-7 installed, so there you go. But I'll be watching you early adoptes with a little jealousy and great interest, as you beta-test it for me:-)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 2, 2011 at 7:10:46 pm

No Mac at home Mark?

Back when I was an engineer at a big facility (Avid), FCP was released and we got one copy for some low end internal work. While you may not want to put it in the line of fire, it's certainly worth a play.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 2, 2011 at 7:42:00 pm

No INTEL mac at home, Craig. I'd have to first upgrade the home imacs which are still the "sunflower" style Power PC type. The cobbler's children run barefoot.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 2, 2011 at 7:52:51 pm

I guess you'll have to wait until the ThunderBolt MacMini with i7 processor. BTW I heard somewhere that a beta tester says FCPX runs very well on MacBookAir 11"

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 2, 2011 at 8:06:24 pm

Rumor has it the new imacs come out tomorrow. With Thunderbolt, the ability to put loads of RAM in easily, and these really fast processors - if we decide we need a third bay, we can absolutely consider an iMac now. I used to think iMacs were silly computers, but they're really not - at least not anymore.

We could even run a 2 monitor setup through one with an Apple 27 display. I still need to see more Thunderbolt periphs first - and hopefully a miracle can occur and bring us a PCI card to keep our mac pros up to day.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 2, 2011 at 8:21:14 pm

I think FCPX is designed to sell iMacs. Whereas Avid may take eons to get to a Thunderbolt approved device, many facilities in this era of tight budgets may consider FCPX and iMacs to add some edit bays even if it might be "feature compromised." At the very least it'll be able take on certain projects. Of course Adobe Premiere can jump on support.

Avid is already very limited in it's affordable video I/O support so I think FCPX/Thunderbolt is a real blow to Avid at least in facilities that are cost conscious.

[John Davidson] "I still need to see more Thunderbolt periphs first - and hopefully a miracle can occur and bring us a PCI card to keep our mac pros up to day."

Intel has already said no Thunderbolt PCIe cards. The chip must be built into the motherboard.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 2, 2011 at 9:03:28 pm

Well, I guess we'll have to upgrade to an even newer mac pro when they get the 'bolt. Darn :).

Speaking of Avid, I was kind of surprised to see that Media Composer 5.5 was still 32 bit. They say it's their last 32 bit release. I just assumed anything new at this point from anyone would be 64 bit - I guess I was wrong.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on May 3, 2011 at 9:50:58 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I think FCPX is designed to sell iMacs. Whereas Avid may take eons to get to a Thunderbolt approved device, many facilities in this era of tight budgets may consider FCPX and iMacs to add some edit bays even if it might be "feature compromised." At the very least it'll be able take on certain projects. Of course Adobe Premiere can jump on support."

The quad core Sandy Bridge iMacs introduced today are almost certainly faster than the quad core Mac Pros. With Thunderbolt for fast disk and video I/O all the way through 2K, they're really looking quite plausible as video editing machines.

[Craig Seeman] "Intel has already said no Thunderbolt PCIe cards. The chip must be built into the motherboard."

As far as I can tell, what Intel was objecting to was data-only Thunderbolt PCIe cards. But given that Thunderbolt integrates with the display system, how does it work on systems without on-board graphics like the Mac Pro? The obvious answer is it's implemented on the graphics card. So it seems plausible that future graphics cards will integrate Thunderbolt, and some of these may be installable in current or past Mac Pros.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read Does FCP X make project files obsolete? on our blog.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 3, 2011 at 10:05:20 pm

That video card/TB integration possibility is exactly what I'm hoping for. If something like that does come out, I'm sure it'll be either in conjunction with the release of a new mac pro (possibly in august if current product cycles continue), or after the current batch of TB devices have had time to sit on the market a bit.

it's going to be a great year for new equipment and software options for smaller houses like ours.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on May 4, 2011 at 6:12:15 am

[Craig Seeman] "Of course Adobe Premiere can jump on support."

At NAB Adobe demonstrated a Blackmagic Thunderbolt device with Premiere Pro CS5.5 playing 3 streams of uncompressed 10 bit files simultaneously at full resolution on a laptop connected to a Promise Thunderbolt drive array. Its scrubbing ability was insane. Since it's ultimately just an i/o thing - everyone can take advantage of this - Adobe, Apple, Avid, whoever.

[Craig Seeman] "
Intel has already said no Thunderbolt PCIe cards. The chip must be built into the motherboard."

True, but who said Intel was the only motherboard manufacturer? It will probably take a while (2012) but I would fully expect PC vendors to have thunderbolt compatible devices and motherboards available.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 4, 2011 at 12:50:58 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "True, but who said Intel was the only motherboard manufacturer?"

Regardless who makes the mother board, the Thunderbolt chip will need to be on it. This is a technical chips access reason for bandwidth not a marketing position.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on May 4, 2011 at 2:16:26 pm

I understand and am confident that motherboards will have it.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 4, 2011 at 2:39:44 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "I understand and am confident that motherboards will have it."

So am I. the point is that you will not be able to add a PCIe Thunderbolt "adaptor." The chip can't be on the PCI3e card. It MUST be on the motherboard according to Intel. Keep in mind it's Intel's chip. Do you think they're going to make it available to AMD?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]