FORUMS: list search recent posts

GoPro Mp4 60FPS

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin lewis
GoPro Mp4 60FPS
on Jul 23, 2011 at 6:17:30 pm

Hi,

I used to convert my MP4 to ProRes and then Cinema tools my 60FPS footage to 25FPS and edit it on a 25FPS timeline which gave great effective results and allowed me to speed ramp and all sorts of fun stuff.

I want to do a edit not in FCP X not sure what to do??? import it have it create proves files then what?? is it automatic if the time line is set to 25FPS?

I am reall unsure how to move forward on this, i could of course do my old workflow but i want to know how it is intended to work in this version.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: GoPro Mp4 60FPS
on Jul 23, 2011 at 9:51:25 pm

I believe the Conform Speed command under the retiming commands would do what you want. Just drop the clip in the timeline and use the command.

Return to posts index

Robin lewis
on Jul 23, 2011 at 10:38:45 pm

Hi,
Thanks for that it certainly does the job within the story line which is good and fun but not perfect i need to see the rushes as they where intended to be viewed slightly slowed down in the event browser.

Also something crazy has happened, after playing with the time line the clips in the Event browser seem to be playing back at double speed and now so do the master clips if i open them from finder in to Quick time. I can not explain this but due to FCP not showing me the Clips timecode in playback i can not see what is happening, not to mention the Lion Quicktime player will not show you the play back rate only the clip TC. It used to say the clip is 25FPS and it is playing back at 25 FPS ETC. If i had these options i could at least see what craziness is going on, has FCP changed the clip data??? what has happened to the play back speed ETC....

This is crazy lol

Fare too late for this.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Robin lewis
on Jul 23, 2011 at 10:57:50 pm

seems it was just something funky it did whilst it was analysing the clips.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 23, 2011 at 11:35:20 pm

There's also some other ways to get the footage conformed properly without Cinema Tools. For example- this app is free and will do the trick.

https://github.com/pepez/ReelSnail

Shameless plug- we do go over a couple of different workflows for post-production slow motion conform in this training course:

http://www.callboxlive.com/products/gopro-hd-hero-guide

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Robin lewis
on Jul 25, 2011 at 3:45:11 pm

I have gone back to my original FCP7 workflow as I can not figure out what FCP X is doing with the footage.

In FCP 7 if I (which I wouldn't)but if I did Put a 60FPS shot in to a 25FPS timeline Finalcut would apply a pull down pattern to that media and it would look correct. Yet in FCP 10 yes I can put the native 60FPS media in to the timeline and select "Conform speed" which gives me good slow mo. But then if I want to speed ramp in to that slow mo the "normal speed" looks wrong and sped up it looks like all 60FPS have been crushed in to 25 rather than the sequence applying a pull down pattern to it.

The other problem with "Conform speed" is that you can not do this on your Rushes to see what it looks like, you have to have it in the timeline.

So I have gone back to Converting to Prores and the using cinema tools to change the Time base to 25FPS. Now I just got to figure out what percentage speed up I would have to do to make the speed ramps from on-speed to slow mo.

I know this is not the best way to do it and i've probably got my facts wrong but at this moment I can not find a better way, I would love for someone on here to rush to my rescue and enlighten me.

Thankyou hope some of this at-least made some sense.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 25, 2011 at 3:59:39 pm

If you conform speed, it's running as if it was shot using overcrank in a camera. If you then speed it up, it's going to drop frames. It's the nature of the beast. You can chose to add frame blending or optical flow or not use either. I don't think this is anything different than if you used Cinema Tools to flag 60fps to run as 25fps. It's just that FCPX allows you to do this within the program.

You should also look at the Inspector options for using one time base source in different time base timeline. It defaults to Floor and also has Nearest Neighbor, Frame Blending, Optical Flow.

All this is far more flexible and easier than FCP7. You have to take the time to learn it.

You can affect source clips by using the "open in timeline" command, which makes the source a timeline so you can affect it before editing into an actual Storyline/timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]